project car

mermaid

I would like to restore an old car in my spare time. Does anyone know if it is possible or the paperwork involved to get a 50-80 year old car that needs total restoration brought down to Puerto Penasco from AZ? Of course it would be on a trailer in rough condition and obviously not be running.
Thanks for any help.

Roberto

Do not know for sure but if you have a title should not be a problem. You cannot 'import' something like that easily but, unless it's a rusted hulk and looks complete probably no questions. Importing means you want a Mexican title. In the free zone you don't need a car permit either. People tow vehicles down here all the time. I would not tell the Mex officials that you plan on restoring it, just driving it. Talking about restoration might cause some confusion !!

What kind of car you got in mind? I restored cars for 20 years. Mostly British stuff, Triumph, Morgan, Morris, Jag. Sold some into Europe. Did a numbr of nut and bolt restorations, every thing was removed from the vehicle and built back up again with new parts. Son did a 55 TR2 from a rusted hulk and sold it for over $30K for college money. Tried to attach a photo of the 36 Morgan Three Wheeler I used to own but no cigar.

The humidity down here is not friendly to old steel. I sold everything before moving down here. Most useful thing I had for restorations was a bead blast cabinet.

GV Jack

Snorin God
My first car of that ilk was an MG TD. Loved it until we got kids. Wasn't much in the Cleveland snow either.
Later bought a Triumph TR 3. Wonder what ever happened to it. Sold it to my brother-in-law. Never saw it after he moved to Fla.

mermaid

Thanks for the info. I was looking to restore an old 30-50's panel. No show truck, just rebuilt motor and running gear, brakes etc, maybe no new paint just sand and clear coat so the old patina shows through, maybe an old business logo on the side.
Just ideas at this point.
Thanks again for the info.

Roberto

Thanks for the info. I was looking to restore an old 30-50's panel. No show truck, just rebuilt motor and running gear, brakes etc, maybe no new paint just sand and clear coat so the old patina shows through, maybe an old business logo on the side.
Just ideas at this point.
Thanks again for the info.
That would be fun. There are a couple of really nice old trucks running around Penasco and some parked here and there. Might be worth a look around Penasco for something that would fill your wants. I know some car guys I'll ask around if you want. I passed on buying a really nice, all original patina, 30's dodge truck that was still working on a ranch in NM. It ran good and looked real cool but I had maybe 7 vehicles at the time and the neighbors were not happy !!

mermaid

I'll keep my eye out around Penasco. Not sure when I want to jump into this, but I'm thinking sometime next year to seriously start looking. If I can't find anything to my liking, I'll shoot you a note to see if you can talk to your car guys.
Thanks again

Roberto

My first car of that ilk was an MG TD. Loved it until we got kids. Wasn't much in the Cleveland snow either.
Later bought a Triumph TR 3. Wonder what ever happened to it. Sold it to my brother-in-law. Never saw it after he moved to Fla.
I recall you told me that. The TR3 shows good taste, the MG TD is acceptable, just a good thing you did not get an MGA or MGB, that I could never forgive you for. an MG Midget would be the worst.