Puerto Lobos Free Diving...

Wow, I just found this. Are you snorkeling under water? My husband and I want to do this. I am not a good swimmer, but I swim. Would that be enough skill to do this? Your film was awesome. I love your videos that you put on. My husband and I were volunteers for Alaska Coastal Studies marine center in Homer, Alaska for some years. We never snorkeled though. Cold water isn't as much fun to snorkel in, at least not for us. I have to say that observing sea life in its natural environment has to be "heaven"!!

Hi Janet... Thank You... yes we are snorkeling/freediving/breath hold diving... and as long as you have the snorkel in your mouth and air in your lungs it will keep you afloat... I need to wear 10 pounds of lead to keep me on the bottom when I freedive so I can keep the camera steady... otherwise I would start to rise from the bottom as soon as I stopped kicking my fins...

if you are worried about not being a good swimmer there are snorkel vests that you can inflate while on the surface and deflate to dive down...

That must have been fun with the Alaska Coastal Studies, although cold water snorkeling or diving is a lot more work but the water is much clearer with the lack of plankton and particulates you find in warmer water...

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Awesome Video!

I like how those Cortez Angels were getting all territorial with you... they are feisty.

I'm setting up a trip to RP for the 1st weekend in Oct- if the water is smooth I might just have to make the 2 hour run down to Lobos.

RHigh

I dove the shrimp boat last spring, it's in about 60 ft. of water. Laying at about a 45 degree angle and covered with nets.
It looks like it been down there quite a while. Someone told me since the mid 90's.
It would be great to hear about more dive spots in PL.

MIRAMAR

Is there anything like the sunken shrimp boat in Lobos around Penasco? If not, I wish they would sink a boat or put some of the broken cement somewhere in the water close to Penasco for diving, far enough out that the tide wouldn't affect it.

jerry

Maybe some well placed shape charges on Playa Azul could create a reef and get rid of an eyesore?
Is there anything like the sunken shrimp boat in Lobos around Penasco? If not, I wish they would sink a boat or put some of the broken cement somewhere in the water close to Penasco for diving, far enough out that the tide wouldn't affect it.

Thanks for the great video!
Maybe I missed it before, but how long is the drive to Puerto Lobos from RP?
We took our time and it was about a two hour drive... the road is great for the most part so if someone wanted they could probably make it in an hour and a half...