Puerto Penasco Highland

Shouldn't this thread be in the Real Estate section? I got stuck out there too with my 4X4 at the direction of my Mexican buddy. I was offered a fantastic deal out there too. Even if they dredged channels the upkeep would be horrific.
Hey that almost looks my truck when I went out on the sand at San Jorge with my new truck....but I don't feel as bad...I didn't have 4WD.....I rode out on the hard crusted over sand....until I started breaking thru...and buried up to my axles before I could get back!!! A local living by the condos with his family (caretaker???) with his 4WD pulled me out...and he didn't even want any money (but he got some any way!!!).

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Not sure who these guys are but they do mention in the video "Fonatur" which is the Gvt group responsible for Cancun, so who knows maybe they will follow the US lead in spending money where they shouldn't? This is a non-political comment by the way, just an observation

jerry

I'm more and more bullish on this wonderful project but I think it needs a few changes.For example instead of the cactus shaped off-shore sub-division/marina I think it should be a pyramid shape with a Mayan style ball court instead of stupid golf:
http://www.mysteriousplaces.com/mayan/BallCourt.html
Mexicoruss I don't think there is anything wrong with giant public works projects.Instead of the 3 trillion dollar Iraq failed adventure or Bush's bank bailout(continued by that Kenyan usurper) we could have rebuilt the electric grid and filled the great plains with wind generators.The mayans would have figured out a way to use them for human sacrifice as a perk if they still ran this continent .

G

Gotzuky

Some facts you guys should know..

This project is being launch for the mexican government and of course some big names in the turism industry, the thing is that Cancun, one of the best targets for tourism in Mexico has stopped being attractive to all those companies due the Hurricans, they haven being spending some thousand millons trying to recover the place but they cant, also the other upscale site is Cabo San Lucas o Los Cabos which suffer the same situation that Cancun making the investment very risky, on november the 3rd the mexican president just inaugurate the itnernational airport of Penasco, Coincidence? So this place can be the best place to set a new paradaise with out the thread of Hurricanes and very convinient for the USA market

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Interesting take, Gotzuky, but two words: overly ambitious. Two more words: environmental impact. If I understand where this new mega-kingdom is to be developed, it is within the Biosphere Reserve. Being that CEDO was able to stop development of the new marina in Rocky Point because of the environmental impact on a reef and estuary, I'd be interested to see how the Highlands plans to gain environmental approval for such a large scale project - to actually carve out and create islands.

Then again, it's Mexico. Money, especially very large sums, speaks very loudly. The environmental impact may be conveniently overlooked.

By the way, Puerto Penasco is NOT immune to hurricanes, they've just been lucky. Given the extreme tide change, even a minor hurricane could cause significant damage with the added storm surge on a high tide. Take a look at what happened in San Carlos/Guaymas earlier this year - 22" of rain in a day severely crippled both cities and that was after the hurricane had blown itself out and was just a tropical storm. Can you imagine what 22" inches of rain in a day would do to Penasco, which generally gets less than 6" of rain a year?

And finally, I've said this a million times. Why do people constantly compare Puerto Penasco to Cabo or Cacun? The only thing they have in common is that they are cities in Mexico, like Detroit and Cleveland in the US. Cancun is tropical and can be a year round destination. Cabo is the tip of Baja and has a rugged natural beauty and great fishing. Penasco is truly the Sonoran Desert. All the advertising in the world is not going to make Penasco an "international destination" during the summer months. The heat and humidity are brutal.

Anyway, so much for the dream. I doubt I'll see it in my lifetime.

garyd

Not to try and compare PP to Cabo and Cancun but it gets pretty darn hot and humid in Cabo and Cancun in the summer as well.:coldone:

Not to try and compare PP to Cabo and Cancun but it gets pretty darn hot and humid in Cabo and Cancun in the summer as well.:coldone:
Amen to that!

As for Fonatur/the Government's supposed involvement in this "overly ambitious" project (I agree, Stuart), well Fonatur ain't what it used to be. And with the Secretariat of Tourism (SECTUR) being folded into the Secretariat of the Economy and Fonatur being downsized, I wouldn't mayonnaise my bread while I wait for the tomatoes to ripen (as a friend from South Carolina used to say).

In the three years that President Calderon has been in office he has been revamping Mexico's governmental structure, and among those changes has been a downsizing of FONATUR. The Nautical Ladder has been pronounced dead, more or less, and many of FONATUR's assets are up for sale. SECTUR, now headed up by Rodolfo Elizondo Torres (perhaps responding to directives from Calderon?), lost no time in arranging to clean up what it considered FONATUR's excess. But now SECTUR itself is facing a big change and no one is sure what will come of it. http://rptides.blogspot.com/2009/10/mexicos-secretariat-of-tourism-going.html
So, Gotzuky, I wouldn't place too much importance on the involvement of the government in that project. And frankly it looks like an environmental nightmare to me.

Roberto

WOW with Dubai going in the tank all those investors who liked it there are sure to be attracted by this fab developmet, what with the Dubai knock-off look. I'm making my reservations today for several of the beach front lots and also the large commercial center. Jerry, lets partner and buy up the commercial land. You've got the dough from the procedes of those 5 sacks of high end concrete you sold last month.