Radio for Help?

Robusto

Just a question, I've been fishing the local reefs within 2-3 miles from shore for over 8 years by Encanto and other spots I've mapped. I've recently upgraded to a bigger boat and will be hitting some reefs outside my comfort zone once I find them.
Any hints to the 13 or 20 mile would be appreciated but is there a radio channel to contact for help incase of an emergency?

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
26 used to be the main channel and had repeater, but the Mexican Army took it down due to narcos using it. 16 is your best bet these days, and a cell phone with number to Safe Marine or Harbormaster.

Robusto

26 used to be the main channel and had repeater, but the Mexican Army took it down due to narcos using it. 16 is your best bet these days, and a cell phone with number to Safe Marine or Harbormaster.
Thank you Stuart, all the help is appreciated! I've never had any issues cruising to the estuary in my 14ft aluminum and 15hp Merc but going out further with my boat I just restored could be interesting:)

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Sounds like fun! Make sure you've got a good GPS so that if you need help, you can tell folks exactly where you are. Once you get out there a bit, one piece of blue water looks just like the next. Distance can also be deceiving. It's easy to think your only 10 miles out when it's really further.