Recent obsevations about Rocky Point

Been down to Rocky Point twice in the last two weeks. Both weekends.

Stayed at the Bella Sirena. Great place. You can eat off the grounds there. Did have some trouble with Seaside. I usually rent from a couple that owns a condo but since the condo was unavailable ad we went on short notice I used Seaside.

First the goddamn "fee's" and taxes. I usually rent directly with the owner to avoid this. But once everything was said and done, a whole $110 in extra "fee's" were applied. HOA fees, parking fee's, booking fee's, daily use fee's... like Ive said before... I know folks need to make money, but Christ.

Also, I refuse to wear the stupid little wristbands.

Whats with the US Customs checking you out BEFORE entry in Mexico? The first time we went down, the Customs guy (or should I say the Pima County Sheriff) was a real prick. He wanted my passport. Why? I asked, His response, "Listen "Dude" I dont have to let you out of the country! Then he wanted my insurance and regristration. When I asked why, he told me to get out of the car. When I asked why again, he put his hand on his gun. I immediately asked to speak to a supervisor, he said something under his breath and said get out of here. I made sure he heard the big <WASH MY MOUTH OUT WITH SOAP><WASH MY MOUTH OUT WITH SOAP><WASH MY MOUTH OUT WITH SOAP><WASH MY MOUTH OUT WITH SOAP> you, coming from my car.

I mean cmon, who do these guys think they are. I know they are with teh customs service, but there is still a limit on what they can and cant do.

Ive come down to rocky point about 50 times in the past 20 years or so. This was the first time I was every red lighted on the Mexican side.

The guy, who spoke no English, asked for my passport. Not my wife's, just mine. He made sure to check my passport to my vehicles VIN in the windshield. He checked the trunk, looked inside the cooler (felt the Coors cans... i guess to make sure they were cold) and handed me my passport back and just walked away.

Stopped at the first Corona beer store and stocked up on PACIFICO!

Again, we stayed at the Bella Sirena. Cant say enough good about the place. The little restraunt is great. The pool was great. They have grill to cook on etc.

The weather and water temps were perfect. Got nailed by a stingray the first minute in the water. Hows that for luck. A case of Pacifico later, some Advil, and a good soak in some hot water all was good. All in all not THAT painful. Shitty nonetheless.

What's with the Friendly Dolphin? I do not see it mentioned anywhere. It's in no ones top five. I thought the food was pretty good (albeit a bit expensive).

Its such ashame that Mickeys is now gone. RIP Mickey.

Al Capone's is really good. Friendly bartender. Great pizza.

I couldn't find that Thai place if my life depended on it.

WTF! Guau Guau, the little hole in the wall on the main drag is gone???? Tis' was a sad day. The wife asked me why I was sobbing like a little baby.

Had a great time. NO PROBLEMS (other than a stingray) Its funny how many people buy into the fear-mongering that seems to flood teh media these days.

Im hoping to go back soon. Had a blast.

Would love to explore further south near Santo Tomas and beyond.

Oh, one last thing, Sunday, at approx 1300hrs, almost right in front of the Bella Sirena there was a quad accident. On guy was seriously hurt. Another little girl, was a little banged up but appeared to be okay. Being a paramedic, i assisted. The police and ambulance had yet to arrive. The guy evidently didnt see a concrete obstacle and rolled his quad. Tore up his leg pretty good. He was alert and talking. Hem wore a helmet. Thats the last I heard. As for the training and actions of the paramedics and ambulance that responded... I'll just say that im not in the US and they did their best with whatever kind of training they had. Did anyone hear about this? Is the guy and little girl going to be okay? Im bringing a trauma kit with me next time.

Does anyone know the procedures on getting Airevac to transport you? Evidently, the guy was being transported to a clinic. What the guy needed was a Level 1 trauma center.

Last edited:
K

kayakrockypoint

Everyone is "guilty" untill proven innocent. I remember our constitution saying otherwise? That seems to be the problem now.
Glad you had a great time in Rocky Point. Keep the faith brother.

mis2810

How far from the border were you when the Pima County Sheriff stopped you? Or was it Customs? They've been stopping people on our side of the border - just before you cross since September, 2009. Normally is CBP and they usually ask to see the passport, ask if you have $10,000 or more in cash, guns, etc. One time the guy asked me where I work and what I do for a living, but other than that no big deal.

The excuse for stopping you before you enter Mexico is supposed to be about bringing in guns and ammo, but yeah, you get some new jackass and he wants to play the bullying macho man. Ultimately, they don't have a right to stop you at all, but whatever, what are you gonna' do? Best policy is to just play the game.

Everyone is "guilty" untill proven innocent. I remember our constitution saying otherwise? That seems to be the problem now.
Glad you had a great time in Rocky Point. Keep the faith brother.
Last time I saw the constitution it was on Ebay. No bidders.

How far from the border were you when the Pima County Sheriff stopped you? Or was it Customs? They've been stopping people on our side of the border - just before you cross since September, 2009. Normally is CBP and they usually ask to see the passport, ask if you have $10,000 or more in cash, guns, etc. One time the guy asked me where I work and what I do for a living, but other than that no big deal.
I was AT the border. It was the Deputy that asked me all teh questions. Not the CBP officer! Asking sure, if you have probable cause. okay then a search. But you dont need my insurance cards, registration, etc. And at that point, I do NOT need to get out of my car!

The excuse for stopping you before you enter Mexico is supposed to be about bringing in guns and ammo, but yeah, you get some new jackass and he wants to play the bullying macho man. Ultimately, they don't have a right to stop you at all, but whatever, what are you gonna' do? Best policy is to just play the game.
I have total response for the police, heck a lot of them are good friends. But when they start pulling that crap, I'll call them on it. But hey, The weather in Rocky Point was great. The police I met (on the scene of that accident) were very pleasant.

OH, and as far as the car/registration stuff, there was one holiday (Spring Break?) in particular a few years back when officers were turning back college students and others in droves as they were either trying to take a rental (without the rental company's knowledge) or their parent's car across the border. I think if you get a notarized signature giving you permission there's not much they can do on the latter issue even if the car isn't in your name.

A few major rental companies will let you take certain cars over the border (usually not 4WD trucks or SUVs), and when you do, you have to buy their insurance, which usually costs $25-$30 a day, much more than you'd normally pay. This is a fairly legit reason to slow down those trying to cross, to at least see if the car has been reported stolen, though a thief would be a complete idiot to use that particular crossing to try to smuggle in a hot car.

OH, and as far as the car/registration stuff, there was one holiday (Spring Break?) in particular a few years back when officers were turning back college students and others in droves as they were either trying to take a rental (without the rental company's knowledge) or their parent's car across the border. I think if you get a notarized signature giving you permission there's not much they can do on the latter issue even if the car isn't in your name.

A few major rental companies will let you take certain cars over the border (usually not 4WD trucks or SUVs), and when you do, you have to buy their insurance, which usually costs $25-$30 a day, much more than you'd normally pay. This is a fairly legit reason to slow down those trying to cross, to at least see if the car has been reported stolen, though a thief would be a complete idiot to use that particular crossing to try to smuggle in a hot car.
The only thing with that is that its not the CBP's job to enforce a rental cars policy of taking or not taking a rental car to Mexico. In addition, if the car you are driving isn't reported stolen, then they should have no issue with you and shouldn't turn any one away. They also don't enforce Mexican law. Which does not require you to provide proof of ownership. I believe that to be the case of the cops abusing their authority.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Welcome to Amerika, comrade. You will be assimilated!

Wait 'til they take your ham sandwich (bought and paid for at Safeway in Amerika) and throw it in the trash and threaten to fine you $1000000000000000 because you didn't declare it. That's always my personal favorite! Apparently, American ham becomes immediately infected with some kinda porkulus disease the minute it crosses the border. Go figure.

The list of bullshit and games they play at the border is long and endless. Soon as you think you know the rules, they change them. And oh, even though you KNOW it's bullshit, it's still better to pretend to be a total dumbass and just play along.

I'm more concerned about Guau Guau's being closed. Waaaaaah.

Isn't the larger Guau Guau still in business? The one on Calle 13, as you approach Penasco del Sol? I thought the smaller one on the main strip was the only one that closed. I guess I haven't been down there on one of "those" kind of trips for several years.

Dunas and Miau Miau (or whatever the name was next to the Chinese restaurant) are closed...not Guau Guau....so don't cry Stuart!!!

That strip club in Mirador is still open too, but I guess it's called Hooters now. I totally forgot to take a pic of the sign last time I was down.

Roberto

I read somewhere lately that, according to Homeland Security policy or something to do with the anti-terrorism business, the ICE have authority within 100 miles of the border and any international port of entry. This includes international airports as they are by definition a port of entry. The report I read calculated that some huge percentage of US citizens live within these zones,like over 90%. Home Land Security or ICE regulations somehow supercede the constitutionally granted rights, what with all the terrorism going on in the US. They can stop you for any reason and can also, I believe detain you for a peroid of time on suspicion. Maybe even ship you to Cuba ! I also recall reading that the FBI will ask ICE to do stuff, wire taps, illegal entry, on a 'person of interest' that ICE can do under their power but the FBI cannot do legally, constitutionally, sort of like a favor ! So while the local sheriff at the border does not have that much authority, if he calls an ICE person for help you could be in world of hurt. Blame it all on Osama, not Obama.

You are required to report transporting $10,000 + across the border into Mexico on BOTH side of the border. This is a reporting regulation. You can take it out and you can bring it in, you just have to fill out the required paperwork, on BOTH sides of the border. I think it also applies to bank checks made out to amount but not sure about that one.

Most of the people at the border are helpful and friendly, with the occasional AHole thrown in for flavor. Crossing North one time I got a young black guy that I had chatted up some in earlier crossings. I pegged his accent as Bronx, he got insulted and retorted Brooklyn. This time he looked down on me and scowled, I'm really pissed at you. I said why? He said because you're sitting there and listening to music, and I'm out here working. I had Bob Marly on! I told him tough shit at least you're working. We both laughed about that.

I read somewhere lately that, according to Homeland Security policy or something to do with the anti-terrorism business, the ICE have authority within 100 miles of the border and any international port of entry. This includes international airports as they are by definition a port of entry. The report I read calculated that some huge percentage of US citizens live within these zones,like over 90%. Home Land Security or ICE regulations somehow supercede the constitutionally granted rights, what with all the terrorism going on in the US. They can stop you for any reason and can also, I believe detain you for a peroid of time on suspicion. Maybe even ship you to Cuba ! I also recall reading that the FBI will ask ICE to do stuff, wire taps, illegal entry, on a 'person of interest' that ICE can do under their power but the FBI cannot do legally, constitutionally, sort of like a favor ! So while the local sheriff at the border does not have that much authority, if he calls an ICE person for help you could be in world of hurt. Blame it all on Osama, not Obama.

You are required to report transporting $10,000 + across the border into Mexico on BOTH side of the border. This is a reporting regulation. You can take it out and you can bring it in, you just have to fill out the required paperwork, on BOTH sides of the border. I think it also applies to bank checks made out to amount but not sure about that one.

Most of the people at the border are helpful and friendly, with the occasional AHole thrown in for flavor. Crossing North one time I got a young black guy that I had chatted up some in earlier crossings. I pegged his accent as Bronx, he got insulted and retorted Brooklyn. This time he looked down on me and scowled, I'm really pissed at you. I said why? He said because you're sitting there and listening to music, and I'm out here working. I had Bob Marly on! I told him tough shit at least you're working. We both laughed about that.

I agree...most of the people working the border are OK...it's the occasional a$$hole that you remember!

Obama supported and just recently signed an extension of the Patriot Act...something that has usurped some of our basic rights since 9/11.......

They put a "D" in front of Hooters....."D Hooters"...................... As far as the border goes, it's just luck of the draw!!! After the border, we still have two more checkpoints to go through. I've just gotten used to it all of it I guess. It's the price we pay for going there, although we haven't had any problems whatsoever lately. (I'm knocking on wood you all.........LOL!!) And Stuart, your comment about the ham sandwich had me cracking up. I remember you making jokes about it some time ago, and every time I have made it back accross with my ham, I think of you and snicker!!!

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I had that same black guy one time and I drove up to him and stopped with my window down. He looked at me and said, "you got air conditioning in that thing?" I said "yes". He said "well, roll your window up and get goin', it's too hot!" LOL! But, I really didn't appreciate him calling my beautiful Jeep a "thing"........

I've never had any trouble or wierd questions from the American side going in. I have, however, had some wierd questions coming back....

And Stuart, everytime I cross back over with my bacon, I smile......

R

reportjones

I apologize for what I wrote. It wasn't nice.

Last edited by a moderator:

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
A month ago my wife was traveling alone and was detained by the US Side for over a half an hour. She was told that she had no rights so to deal with it and get used to it.

Welcome to Amerika, comrade. You will be assimilated!

Wait 'til they take your ham sandwich (bought and paid for at Safeway in Amerika) and throw it in the trash and threaten to fine you $1000000000000000 because you didn't declare it. That's always my personal favorite! Apparently, American ham becomes immediately infected with some kinda porkulus disease the minute it crosses the border. Go figure.

The list of bullshit and games they play at the border is long and endless. Soon as you think you know the rules, they change them. And oh, even though you KNOW it's bullshit, it's still better to pretend to be a total dumbass and just play along.

I'm more concerned about Guau Guau's being closed. Waaaaaah.
What was funny the last time I was sent to the secondary check at the border, when they confiscated my cooked boneless pork ribs that I had brought down, and not eaten, was that the agent put them in a new zip lock bag. Do you really think they went in the garbage?