recent report for 21 and 22 of august

ReelHard

grouper slayer
Well we planned on fishing on saturday and were totally blown out. there was no sence of getting beat up by tring to fish. so we prayed for better weather sunday. We woke up early sunday morning and it seemed to have calmed down. so we made the call to head out and try to catch a few fish. we lauched the boat at 7:30 and were on our way. the seas were flat and there was no breeze to be had. We new we were in for a hot day. we stopped and made bait in about 15 minutes. whick consisted of 2 rock bass and about 20 grunts. We headed to our new favorite rock. on my first drop that was rigged with a pink scampi with a grunt made it down about 60 feet when it got hit. no sure what it was but 150lbs test was not strong enough to stop him. I think maybe because i had it in free spool and was letting line out when it got hit. then when i engaged the reel and using spectra the shock was to much.

We made a few more drops and scott hooked a nice grouper and lost it after about 15 sec. then my rod got hit about 2 minutes later. i had the fish about half way up then nothing. The barb was missing of my hook. so i figure his teeth must have caught it just rite and snapped it. so while i was rigging up a new hook i dropped down another pink scampi. and it got hit and was able to bring this one up. was a 50 lbs gulf. we made a few more drifts on that reef and caught a total 4 gulf grouper. the bite went slow and we went about an hour with not a nibble.

So we decided to make a move to a reef that dan and i found trolling last time we were out. we were out of bait and decided to jig with irons. Scott was being hard headed and decided to drop down a dead half chew up grunt. would you belive it got hit. i was shocked to see him bring another gulf grouper to the boat. minutes later i got slammed on my iron using my 4/0. i finally got him stopped then my leader broke. so we made one more pass on that reef and i got hit again. i managed to boat a nice 36lbs pinto. it was now 12 oclock so we decided to call it a day. we were hot and tired not to mention dehydrated. so we had a nice ride home with smooth seas. and look forward to going back next weekend. oh and of course i left the camera on the boat so i will post the pics when i get it back.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
I'm hearing reports of some real tackle busting toads out there right now. We're talking vaca grouper! Moo-moo, baby. You're only gonna catch 'em with a lasso, not a fishin' rod!
:cluck:

On edit: I also heard today that Rick Hammer got a large shark and a grouper well over 100 lbs. yesterday. His scale only goes to 100 lbs. and it easily bottomed it out, so true weight is unknown.