Record Great White Shark caught by Guaymas

They're not so uncommon from the Sea of Cortez... I've got 5 complete jaws that are from great whites caught in the late 80's early 90's

Estero

This is an Abstract from a research study out of La Paz from 2010 on White Sharks in the gulf. Here is the expert http://www.cicimar.ipn.mx/oacis/curriculo.php?id=74

Abstract
The white shark is known to inhabit the Gulf of California, but few published records exist for the most frequent localities of captures or sightings of this protected and relatively uncommon shark in Gulf waters. We have compiled and here report 38 records of white shark captures and reliable sightings for the Gulf. Records include individuals caught as by-catch by shrimp trawlers and gill-nets, and several sightings by divers or at fishing camps with corroborating photographs or sets of jaws (teeth). The main locations of occurrence were El Golfo de Santa Clara (13 records), followed by Santa Rosalía (4), and San Pedro Mártir and San Pedro Nolasco Islands (3 each). Presence of juveniles (<300 cm total length) was highest from January to May (10 records); whereas in July and October only two juveniles were recorded. Adults were more common from December to May (8 records); whereas from June to October there were fewer (5). Human induced threats and conservation of the white shark in the Mexican Pacific are briefly discussed.
(Received May 16 2010)

The teeth in the photos below are from a great white that was found decaying in a net down near San Pedro Mártir and San Pedro Nolasco Islands about 5 years ago... the bottom tooth (on the right side) measures 2 1/4 inches and was said to be from a shark estimated to be near 20 feet in length... shark experts can guestimate the size of a shark by the length of the teeth, 1 inch of tooth equals approximately 10 feet of shark...

A tooth over two inches and in perfect condition (like these in the photo) can bring in as much as $1000.00+ each to collectors... the record great white tooth is a principal (center) upper tooth that measured 2 3/4 inches and sold for $5000.00...

A fully complete jaw depending on it's size can bring in upwards of $30,000.00... two of the jaws I have are estimated to be worth $10,000 each... but they are not for sale...

FILE0145.jpgFILE0143.jpg

marybna

I sub teach in Green Valley AZ, mostly special ed. I put this article on my phone for the kids. They loved the article and the pictures. Thank you whoever posted that

garyd

I thought I readit was caught just off Cabo. Different article, same story. So what is the real truth. Mark?????

I've seen the cabo story too... but I think it came out after the story about it being caught near Guaymas... all I know is that there are BIG sharks in the Sea of Cortez and I've got teeth from local fishermen that prove it..

About 5 years ago MexFish.com had a story of one this size being caught in a net near Santa Rosilia... there was a photo of a guy holding the jaws from the fish and they reached from above his head to his waistline... and the fish rendered about 700 pounds of salt dried meat... the teeth alone from a fish like this can make someone a rich man... but the real truth is, it's sad to see that they are being caught in nets...

Last edited:

Kenny

I remember that when I was a kid there was a Shark jaw bone outside of Natcho's store in Cholla bay that was so big that we used to have a picture of me sitting in it!

These are 4 of the 5 great white jaws I have... they're not big enough for a kid to sit in, but they are big enough to bite me in half or take off my head in one bite...

IMG_1768.jpgIMG_1762.jpg

Kenny

Right off the point and where you fish Joe, Sharks used to be a real pain in the butt. It was not uncommen for a Shark to take the better part of the best fish of the day right as you got it up next to the boat. There was still some very nice fish off Pinto and Pelican point back then, and big Conches to dive for as well.

Kenny

The biggest Shark that we ever saw back in the day was a 17' Tiger that came up and inhaled a small Shark that was on my Uncle Teddy's line, and right next to our 16' boat. I'll never forget the look on my dad's and uncles faces..LOL