Reef Too Close...

playaperro

El Pirata
You know that park marco something about 10 miles out of town on the east side of the HI Way. That would be my guess.

cholla

Why are they closing? I thought the new marina plan was put on hold because of the economy.

John

I can't for the life of me figure why they would close....they are almost the only game in town on Sandy Beach....just them and Playa Bonita.....steady income with minimal maintenance (based on Playa Bonita activities....)....and who is going to buy the property or develop something on it in this economic climate???? I thought the Brown family was pretty well off???? Or is the family squabbling after the old man died....???

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Yes on the sandy beach master plan.
Oh Ya brother...Stewart don't let them force you too move this great news!
http://www.cedointercultural.org/con...92/94/lang,en/

Conservation News: Essential Rocky Habitat Saved from Destruction
After three years of legal battles the Mexican Secretary of the Environment determined that the Sandy Beach Resorts Marina, between Sandy Beach and La Cholla, could not be authorized to continue. The project would have destroyed vital rocky reef habitat. The legal process was led by CEDO, commercial divers from Puerto Peñasco and the Mexican Center for Environmental Law (CEMDA). The basis for this decision was the lack of hard scientific evidence to state that the project would not have significant impacts on the environment. This ruling will stop the destruction of a shallow rocky reef that has immense ecological and social importance, including being used as a marine reserve by local commercial divers to promote sustainable fisheries, elevated levels of biodiversity, presence of several protected species and its proximity to the Upper Gulf Biosphere Reserve. This is a great sign the Mexican government is adequately enforcing environmental law.
- Read about our Conservation and Research programs here.

Jerry, the extremist right winger, posted this a few weeks back, so the marina might be going somewhere else other than Sandy Beach

playaperro

El Pirata
Oh Ya brother...Stewart don't let them force you too move this great news!
http://www.cedointercultural.org/con...92/94/lang,en/

Conservation News: Essential Rocky Habitat Saved from Destruction
After three years of legal battles the Mexican Secretary of the Environment determined that the Sandy Beach Resorts Marina, between Sandy Beach and La Cholla, could not be authorized to continue. The project would have destroyed vital rocky reef habitat. The legal process was led by CEDO, commercial divers from Puerto Peñasco and the Mexican Center for Environmental Law (CEMDA). The basis for this decision was the lack of hard scientific evidence to state that the project would not have significant impacts on the environment. This ruling will stop the destruction of a shallow rocky reef that has immense ecological and social importance, including being used as a marine reserve by local commercial divers to promote sustainable fisheries, elevated levels of biodiversity, presence of several protected species and its proximity to the Upper Gulf Biosphere Reserve. This is a great sign the Mexican government is adequately enforcing environmental law.
- Read about our Conservation and Research programs here.

Jerry, the extremist right winger, posted this a few weeks back, so the marina might be going somewhere else other than Sandy Beach
The Cruise ship landing is not part of the marina..

InkaRoads

cronopiador
I got it from another forum a while back and they were talking about the marina and the cruise dock being together or next to each other right there in The Reef area

From my interaction with the Brown's and finally resolving their unfulfillment of costa diamante services: they have NO assets/cash available to be touched/invested in mexico. From my limited understanding, there will not be a marina anytime within the near future: (5+++ years).

jerry

Well if the coastal highway keeps going and makes it to Guaymas this will still be the spot to fly into ,get drunk,shop and eat stuff rapped in bacon and cheese for a few days then rent a car and head down the coast,stop along the way,drop the car off in Guaymas and fly home..

Kenny

You are right Ink," between Sandy Beach and La Cholla, could not be authorized to continue. The project would have destroyed vital rocky reef habitat." That was part of the Sandy beach master plan and it included the marina.
I've been mad ever since they fenced of the access from the R.V. park because I used to drive right over to the base of the mountain to fish and snorkel.
The Cruise ship "dock" has not even been approved according to Steve Schwab’s article. The article is written to look like it was a done deal to hook new people into buying... But stuck on the bottom, kind of tucked away, it did say it was waiting approval. Here's the hook, then the facts at the bottom.
By Steve Schwab
Dated: Apr 01, 2009
The Holland America shipping company revealed that in three years, with the construction of a Cruise Ship
Home Port, Puerto Penasco will be taking another step to become a world-class tourist destination.
The Holland America shipping company revealed that in three years, with the construction of a Cruise Ship
Home Port, Puerto Penasco will be taking another step to become a world-class tourist destination.
Holland America is planning to have one cruise ship a week on the Sea of Cortez route as of 2011, stated
Simon Douwes, Planning and Scheduling Director, who recently confirmed that at the latest in three years,
Puerto Penasco will become the site for the arrival and departure of cruise ships.
Plans are to make between 50 and 60 trips in the “World's Aquarium”, departing from Puerto Penasco to
Guaymas, Loreto, La Paz and Topolobampo, and then, returning to the port of departure.
He stated that the Sea of Cortez route is excellent for the company, because in only seven days they can go
to six Mexican ports, which will provide a myriad of attractions.
On the other hand, the coordinator of the Commission for the Development of Tourist of the State
Government, Epifanio Salido Pavlovich, explained that initially there will be a 14 day route that will depart
from San Diego, California, and will travel to Puerto Penasco; then Guaymas, and the tour will conclude in
the port of embarkation.
Representatives of Holland America and Carnival Corporation recently visited the area of Sandy Beach,
where they intend to locate the cruise ship terminal in Puerto Penasco.
An assessment on the technical feasibility of building the wharf in this area of Rocky Point, Mexico was
conducted with good results. Possible attractions in that area that could be provided to cruise ship
customers were analyzed within the plans to set-up the Home Port. Some of these attractions are the Visitor
Center of the “El Pinacate” Biosphere Reserve which is another option that can be provided to nautical
tourists.
Government sources said that the Home Port project in Puerto Penasco is looking for the appropriate
conditions to remain as the Sea of Cortez cruise ship route, while at the same time duly caring for the

environment and furthering a sustainable activity through ecological balance.
The Government of Sonora, the Florida and Caribbean Cruise Association (FCCA), and the Coordination General of Ports and Merchant Marine, a body belonging to the Department of Communications and Transportation (SCT) entered into negotiations to make this project come true.
Drinking that MAD DOG 20/20 again playa?

Last edited: