Relaxing Weekend...

Spent the weekend of May 1 in Penasco....haven't been able to get down for about 2 months....very relaxing, although the wind was blowing nicely....beaches along the Mirador were deserted.

Shot the sunset from the BooBar.....didn't have much chance to chat with Jose on Sat. night when they had the fights, so we had dinner there Sun. evening.

Red Drum

Sea Dweller, What do you know about these, they are all over the place, are they edible? Pressure cooker w/sazon?
Actually looks a little like a monster Cockle Clam. Probably would make for some tasty chowder and definitely some AWESOME for fish bait. If you that clam on a hook, you'd go major bendo, everthing would eat that clam, guaranteed!

Last edited:
Wahoo... those are a cockle, I've never had any of them but the "callo" (scallop or muscle that holds the shell closed) is the good part of them... If you try them let me know how they are...

Kenny

I'm pretty sure I know exactly where you are at from your pictures Wahoo, and I've seen lots of the shells from those clam's on the beach there; but I didn't think they were from that area though. We get shell's from all over the world in there, and I just assumed they came in on the tide. How did you detect it etc?

Last edited:

Kenny

Don't know how I missed this but one reason I find shells that are listed in books as from another location is that some have larvae that are planktonic, and they can drift on the currents for many miles. A few species are almost worldwide in distribution because of this dispersion method. It may also be that a climatological or biotopical change has allowed other species to recently move in as well, I know this has happened elsewhere. Some warm water species have been expanding their ranges Northward. This has happened in animals and fish, as well as mollusc's. For instance; Snook have been reported in the Sea of Cortez, and now the Rosterfish is as far north as PP.
I knew those cockles had not been swept into that catch basin by the tide by their pristine condition, but I didn't think I'd been walking on them either...again, how did you detect them?

Last edited:

Kenny

There was a time when I was a kid at Cholla bay, that during the biggest tidal movement of the year, (it was summer, 58 or so) the shellfish came out of the sand and started crawling around, and not just one kind either. There were Conch's, thousands of them, along with a lot of what's commonly called Olive shells, and a bunch of other snails as well. My folks and the others who chased the tide that day seemed to know that was going to happen (I've never seen it since) because they had gunny sacks and such to haul the Conch's back in. They had some idea of inlaying a fireplace with them, or some such. I remember very well how much work it was to boil and clean out the Conch's. These were not the big Conch's we used to get diving off the rocks, but one's that were about 4 or 5 inches long. The big one's we just hung by there foot until they just wore out, and then the shell just dropped off with very little of the animal left inside to clean, but man, was it ugly!

Last edited: