Repeater or Booster?

flicks

We rent from someone down in the Mirador area. Our Casita is above their garage , They have W-F,i but we have to stand on their front patio to connect to it.. Is there something we can purchase to boost the signal?
Thanks again for all the help.

You will need to get something like this,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166074&cm_re=External_Wi-Fi_Adapter-_-33-166-074-_-Product

Anything else would require access to the owners hardware. Things like moving their Wi-fi unit to a position that would transmit better for their users or hooking a repeater or replacing their antenas with an omnidirectional one.

The only thing is by using any kind of external wi-fi adapter you will have to disable the on-board adapter in what I assume is your laptop.

I use a Hawking high gain dish antenna, its about $20 from Amazon, I can grab a wi fi signal from 75 feet away, just make sure
The one you buy supports your computers operating system, and get a 10 ft USB cable for it. Highly recommend these types of dishes just aim it towards the signal source.

flicks

I'm wanting to be able to pick up a signal for our phones not laptops . I'm dense about these things[emoji20]

LOL, details huh....
Short of them moving the hardware around you are probably stuck with standing outside.
Good Luck.

We rent from someone down in the Mirador area. Our Casita is above their garage , They have W-F,i but we have to stand on their front patio to connect to it.. Is there something we can purchase to boost the signal?
A Linksys WRT54GS2 router, or similar router programmed with DDWRT firmware will do. You can buy a suitable router on eBay for around $20. You can program these as a repeater to extend the range of the signal. I have property in the Mirador area and can help you if you contact me.

joanC

I use a netgear N300 here in PP with the telmex 2 wire. works perfectly. easy to install.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
And here I was hoping this what a thread about a new VHF radio repeater being installed in Penasco like they used to have on Channel 26. Marine VHF has never been the same since the military took that repeater down.

Have you tried asking them if you could wire direct to their system. All you need is a box to add a wire from them to you. The wire looks like a telephone wire.
Very low cost way to get the best signal and computer security.

flicks

Have you tried asking them if you could wire direct to their system. All you need is a box to add a wire from them to you. The wire looks like a telephone wire.
Very low cost way to get the best signal and computer security.
No, I have not. They are out of state mostly & don't get down there every couple of years. The their mail condo is handled by a Management Company.