report for 7-16 on the reel hard

ReelHard

grouper slayer
Saturday morning started of a little bumpy on our way to make bait. Green backs were everywhere. we loaded up in about 10 minutes. So we headed to a reef west of the bait hole. After arriving i went to bait up and all the macks were belly up at the bottom of the live well. the good news is that the 8 rock bass survived. Within minutes i was hooked up with a nice pinto about 12 to 15 lbs. then 30 minutes later had a good hit that broke off. The fishing slowed with no bites for a few hours and the seals had found us by then. sure wish you could eat those bastards.

So off to another reef a few miles away. on the first drift my pole got slammed and then nothing. I reeled in and to my surprize i still had my hook. So now im pissed for missing that fish.

I made a nother pass and then i had some tention on my rod. So as i was winding up i thought what the hell is this. It was just dead weight. a few minutes later i had another line atached to my scampi. so i pulled it up and had a penn 6/0 atached to a matching rod. We were low on bait so i decided to run to a bait hole and fish some closer reefs.

On the 1st drop at the reef after making bait again chris's rod got nailed and then lost it just seconds later. then 5 seconds later my rod got nailed and i could hear my gunnel crack. so i pull the rod out and start fighting this fish after a minute the line goes slack. i reel up and se that my hook broke rite at the middle of the curve. and i do use quality hooks is was a 10/0 gamagotsu 3x. so i rigged back up and made another pass and hooked and landed a nice 35 lbs pinto. the day should of been better. but it still was not bad. the boat ran great so for that i am pleased.

oh and im also ataching a picture for stuart of a plate i saw in fl. that reminded me of his.

Attachments

Shawno

Thanks for the report! I'm glad to hear that your boat is running well. Maybe we'll see some fishing reports again. Which boat were you using? Man, that had to hurt when you saw the broken hook. I guess it had to be a real badass grouper. Are you going to try to clean up the rod and reel, or is it beyond repair?

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Nice plate, nice fish -- sorry about the break offs! Depending on where you were fishing, that boat fire a couple years back had all the tackle in place when she went down. But, looks like that one got pulled over or something.

I'll be down soon. My boat is ready to see some saltwater; been waaaay too long!

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
That rod and reel looks like it should buff right out and be ready to use next week.... :)

Glad to see the boat is back in action.

ReelHard

grouper slayer
The reel is for sure fubar. no saving that at all there is no guts left inside. as for the rod i will clean and rewrap it at put on guides.

dmcauley

The seals were biting really good. I had a grouper hole up on me in the morning but the rest of the day we fed seals.