report for jan 1-22-11

ReelHard

grouper slayer
dave,randy,chris and myself headed out at around 5 oclock. We headed straight to the deep reefs. when we arrived we made a few drifts and caught several gold spots. the drift was pretty fast so i decided to anchor us up. The action was hot and heavy with fish on every drop. Rb moore followed us out with bill and edna aboard his mako. and they anchored up a few hundred feet off our port side. they had good luck with large gold spots and a nice leopard grouper.

By about 9 oclock all that was biting was ocean white fish (AKA RABBIT FISH). So we moved on to a deeper reef a couple miles away in 400 foot of water. the drift slowed way down and the conditions were perfect. We caught large gold spots and a few large california sheephead.

We all wanted a little more variety in the box. so we went to another hole about 10 miles away for some red snapper. They were no where to be found. we fished there for about an hour only catching small gold spots and one sheep head. then dave yelled all pissed off i snagged another rock. i told him rocks dont peel off drag that fast. then he realized he had a good fish on the other end. after about a 10 minute battle. we threw about a hundred pound black in the fish box. he fit no problem.

We headed back to the dock with the sun setting to our left and flat calm seas ahead. this was a great day. weather was perfect. tempature was rite. and the company was fantastic.

will post pics as soon as scott comes over and downloads the pics off my camera.

T

Tomcat

I have got to get my shoulder healed and then stand at the boat launch in PP with a pole in one hand and gas money in the other and hope one of you guys picks me up for one of these cool fishing trips !!!!!!!!!!!! it just sounds like such a great time not to mention the fresh fish fry after wards....Thanks for the trip report :)

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Absolutely a great day- I LOVE it when buoyweather is not 100% accurate. The seas were as close to ideal on Saturday as you can get. we easily made 30mph going out and 32 coming back in.

Oh, and Doug- I lied about my fuel consumption- when I topped it off I had burned 64 gallons, not 45... :) I still might have a look at my boat's props- I had to run close to 5500rpm to make 30 mph, and a couple times my engines actually hit the rev limiter on the holeshot. I think maybe they could use another inch or two of pitch.

Bill and Edna were great company for the day- I hope you both had fun.

Edna proved her maternal value on board when a Fish I was trying to get off the hook decided instead to run the hook straight through my right pinkie. Only time I can think of where more of the blood splattered on the deck was from me and not the fish. After some minor field surgery to get my finger detached from the hook, Edna helped me get it all cleaned out and bandaged up so that we could get back to fishing.

and the best part for the whole weekend- I didn't have to visit the Sonoyta detention cell coming back across this morning...

playaperro

El Pirata
I have got to get my shoulder healed and then stand at the boat launch in PP with a pole in one hand and gas money in the other and hope one of you guys picks me up for one of these cool fishing trips !!!!!!!!!!!! it just sounds like such a great time not to mention the fresh fish fry after wards....Thanks for the trip report :)
thats what i do. whats up with the shoulder? rotator cuff....

T

Tomcat

I was building a new house with a friend and took a fall off a ladder that broke... 100% ripped out top of rotory cuff, 100% tore off long and short biceps. surgery doctor said no way to fix biceps as there was massive damage not repairable... 6 months heal time to get some use back to the arm and shoulder.. OK well whats done is done now so maybe give me disabilty and I will go fishing in RP :) thats whats up ! the smile deal post was not pom pom it was humor as to whatt many different smiles can mean... with a example of Jack Nicholson in the movies the shining and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest ... sometimes post are taken wrong and i understand that but there is no pom pom girl here playa... have a great night buddy...
thats what i do. whats up with the shoulder? rotator cuff....

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Where....are....the....snapper? I haven't had so much as one this year and I'm fishing the spots where we'd normally be catching them, often two at a time. Just odd that there seem to be none around this year!

Glad y'all had a good day on the water. I got my trim/tilt tore apart this weekend. The seals were definitely shot. In as much as they were letting fluid leak out, they were letting water leak in. Nice orange mushy solution when I got the caps off the end of the cylinders. Yuck! Drying it all out (fortunately, there's no rust) and will put the new seals on and refill next weekend and it should be good to go. I now suspect that the reason it stop working is that it was hydro-locked because of the amount of water in the fluid.

Boats... always something!

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
yeah, no snapper, and I also haven't heard any reports of White seabass or halibut either...

Someone at the restaurant was saying that he drove over to Desemboque and the locals were loading trucks with big halibut, but that info was just one step above pure rumor.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Actually, true on the halibut. Panga guys told us the same thing in Lobos last weekend. They are netting them.

Hey Robert
We just want to again thank you for a great day of fishing. You did a great job of getting on the fish. My whole right side is sore from pumping so many fish. I do need to find or make a short heavy spinning rod. I also want to make some 8 to 16 oz balls. Would be a lot easier to crank up than the 16 oz. Again when you are ready to go drop me a note.
ALSO I SEE YOU USED MORE FUEL THAN YOU GUESSED SO WE OWE YOU MORE MONEY AND I WANT TO PAY IT.

azfish

Hey Robert
We just want to again thank you for a great day of fishing. You did a great job of getting on the fish. My whole right side is sore from pumping so many fish. I do need to find or make a short heavy spinning rod. I also want to make some 8 to 16 oz balls. Would be a lot easier to crank up than the 16 oz. Again when you are ready to go drop me a note.
ALSO I SEE YOU USED MORE FUEL THAN YOU GUESSED SO WE OWE YOU MORE MONEY AND I WANT TO PAY IT.
This maybe a dumb question, but why do you use that heavy of a weight? Do to the current?

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Due to both the depth and current. During the tide change on full moon/new moon tides, you can barely hit bottom at the deep reefs. (250+ ft. deep). Without heavy weight, your line just streams out into the current.

azfish

Pulling a fish up from that depth, they blot don't they? You cant return them alive? Thanks for the reply.

dmcauley

After all that cranking not only are the air bladders burst, but who catches fish at that depth and throws 'em back. The rabbit fish usually live and get thrown back tho'.
Great job guys. You need to come out on the Josefina Robert, we burn about 40 gallons round trip and max out at 40-48 mph at 5000 but usually cruise 35-38 at 4400.
The 4 stroke really make a difference.
Bill and Edna are a lot of fun and now I'm sure they realize you've got to go way out there to get quality fish at this time of year.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Yeah, I'm already researching my Prop situation Dan. (but I'll still gladly join you on the Josefina anytime :))

My Suzuki's should do better than they did- and I can tell it's in the props- If I go hammer down on the holeshot then both engines instantly hit the rev limiter, so I know I've got too little pitch.

Just something else to tinker with... just like Stuart said.

Webster's Dictionary- 4th Collegiate edition:

Boat- (Bote) : A large hole in the water that you pour money into.