Reporting Cheaters

dry heat

Pigeon coup coordinator
Thank you for bringing out the point about the furnishings inside some units. You are right, some units look horrible and often this is due to non rental units renting their condo's and not having to meet a standard. Fortunately, the resort is undertaking a major update to the basic requirements of what a unit should have and removing units that are not up to par.

Thank you for bringing out the point about the furnishings inside some units. You are right, some units look horrible and often this is due to non rental units renting their condo's and not having to meet a standard. Fortunately, the resort is undertaking a major update to the basic requirements of what a unit should have and removing units that are not up to par.
Excellent idea and a great start. I think this should be the same at all resorts and it will go a long way to having a successful business model.

dwig222

every resort has their market and Las Palomas is not the discounted market. I think $160 weekday for a 2 bedroom that can be as large as 2000 sq ft is more than fair. if a guest wants a cheaper choice, then another resort for that market may be the answer. 7.9% is the flat rate that is advertised on the resort's site and is the advertised price on units that are renting appropriately. units that rent under the table are the ones that have to tack on added fees in order to sneak in a guest (more hurdles).
I just went into Las Palomas web site to get a rate for 4 nights, starting on a Sunday. They quoted me a rate of $1500+ which included all fees. Then I went into the Sonoran Sun web site and booked the same dates for the same type of unit and was quoted $700+ which included all fees. Am I doing something wrong? Where are you getting $160 for a weekday rate? I used various dates in case they have high and low seasons, but I still got $1500+. I know LP does not want to be a discout resort, but you have to factor in the unfinished buildings, the fact that it is not as close to the beach as the Sonoran properties and the fact that there are undesireable units. I had one lady tell me she stayed at LP and it was a very long walk to get to the beach. Tell me what makes LP an upscale property.

dry heat

Pigeon coup coordinator
Las palomas rates are set similar to many hotels in that the rate changes depending on the occupancy for the dates. For ex. If the resort is 80% booked, the rate is higher. If the resort is 20% booked the rate is lower. Las palomas has the highest occupancy of any resort in penasco and thus the rates tend to be higher because it has a higher occupancy. The ex. of $160 per night weekday was the min. Allowed for a 2 bedroom. However many owners and the resort charge more because occupancy is very high in the summer time. If someone rented a 2 bedroom during semana santa, the rate at lp for thw eek of was $380 per night and they all sold out. During the slower months the rate is closer to the min.

dwig222

I disagree, Dry Heat. As I said in my post, I used various dates all the way to December and they all came up with $1500+. When you say Las Palomas has the highest occupancy rate, you're not talking about percentages of occupancy which is how the hotels determine the rates.

dry heat

Pigeon coup coordinator
you are right, just checked the reservation system and the rate is much higher than the owner approved rate. I was told this was going to be corrected so that the advertised rate is closer in line with the owner approved rate- especially when the dates requested have low occupancy. I know they have had issues with their reservation system adjusting pricing as reservations increase. You will find a lower approved rate renting from an owner via craigslist and vrbo (the reservation is still approved via the resort and managed by them during your stay). just make sure to ask for a confirmation letter.

the system is supposed to increase the rate as the percentage of occupancy increases (ex. below 30% is one rate, above 50% is another and once it gets over 80% it is closer to rack rate). Although it appears that it currently is not doing that- so thanks for the heads up and I will notify the resort.

I disagree, Dry Heat. As I said in my post, I used various dates all the way to December and they all came up with $1500+. When you say Las Palomas has the highest occupancy rate, you're not talking about percentages of occupancy which is how the hotels determine the rates.

AZ ROB

The issue with the set rate is that you have to resort to quoting square footage as the selling point. The units are individually owned and they are not all equal. I have been in several that are maintained and are furnished appropriately and I have been in others that are destroyed with Kmart level furniture. This is just one example of why this business model does not work. Renting a condo where the interior is an unknown is nothing more than gambling with your money.

If you go to the RPR website for the Sonoran Spa and the Sonoran Sea you pick exactly what room you want to stay in. There are many pictures of each unit up for rent so there is no suprises with cheap or dirty furniture.

The issue with the set rate is that you have to resort to quoting square footage as the selling point. The units are individually owned and they are not all equal. I have been in several that are maintained and are furnished appropriately and I have been in others that are destroyed with Kmart level furniture. This is just one example of why this business model does not work. Renting a condo where the interior is an unknown is nothing more than gambling with your money.

If you go to the RPR website for the Sonoran Spa and the Sonoran Sea you pick exactly what room you want to stay in. There are many pictures of each unit up for rent so there is no suprises with cheap or dirty furniture.
I understand what you are saying, but it still does not make sense to me. First, how often are these photos updated? Does the management company actually make sure the place is kept in proper order? I will never understand the concept of set pricing for condos that are different in almost all respects.

az-dan

I understand what you are saying, but it still does not make sense to me. First, how often are these photos updated? Does the management company actually make sure the place is kept in proper order? I will never understand the concept of set pricing for condos that are different in almost all respects.
I am incharge of my photos. Again I am at the Sonoran Sea. When I updated my appliances and had my cabinets refinished I took new pictures and posted them. Our management company does walk throughs and make recommendations for up keep. Each owner is in control of their unit but must meet some basic requirements. I had the management company clean all of my furniture this spring. If you believe the unit is dirty, unkept or not what you expected go the management company and they will move you to another unit. All like units i.e. 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom, ground floor, extended patio, etc. rent for the same rate.