Robberies are increasing now thanks to the Mayor of Puerto Penasco.

Roberto

Well Known Member
""Dirt sez: One more thought: I know in Miramar we faithfully pay city property taxes with little or no support from the city. ""

In reality if the city taxes were 10 times what they are now it would not be a significant burden to the vacation homes, only to the little guys in the barrios. The Govt. might take a different view if Property Taxes were a larger source of income to the city.

Roberto

Well Known Member
Another issue related to this problem is that non citizens are prohibited from participating in or interfering with the government and the election process. So ya gotta watch what you do and say.

dirtsurfer

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter
""Dirt sez: One more thought: I know in Miramar we faithfully pay city property taxes with little or no support from the city. ""

In reality if the city taxes were 10 times what they are now it would not be a significant burden to the vacation homes, only to the little guys in the barrios. The Govt. might take a different view if Property Taxes were a larger source of income to the city.
Roberto: you assume much. 10 times the property tax and I sell and move on. Most importantly, what do we receive for our taxes? Every person who pays taxes should be asking this question.

dirtsurfer

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter
Another issue related to this problem is that non citizens are prohibited from participating in or interfering with the government and the election process. So ya gotta watch what you do and say.
A group of HOA associations represented by good attorneys, social media and regular media could have huge impact on tourism thus impacting the elected officials.

Roberto

Well Known Member
OK so 10x is tooo much. All of the beach properties represent a pretty big employer when you consider cleaning, maintenance and construction plus supplies and materials bought locally. the concrete pumper is doing real well in Las conchas. Maybe he is the Mayor's cousin. Maybe those folks could assist. Especially if owners start hiring contractors from Caborca.

Landshark

Well Known Member
Audsley - apparently someone with big influen$$e in the mayors office built out an abandoned structure outside of CCR approvals. HOA stepped in as it should. not in compliance, no permit. Penasco then issued the permit anyway. HOA took it to the state level and prevaled but City wont agree. Now city says HOA does not have community standards CCR's enforcement powers, penasco running the show.....Now the road, which is public but has been maintained by LC forever (along with water, trash....) must be returned to the people.... Extortion clear and simple
You gotta be careful who you pick a fight with. Wrong or right, sometimes you gotta let it go. The old saying you can’t beat city hall holds very true in most cases, especially Americans in a foreign country. Sometimes you can win a battle but pretty much guaranteed to lose the war. I don’t see this as an attack against all American HOA’s in RP, just against the one that picked a fight. Something the rest of the HOA’s should remember moving forward.

ernesto

Well Known Member
Los Conchas HOA did not pick the fight. The fight picked them. But true , there is a lesson learned here.

Landshark

Well Known Member
Los Conchas HOA did not pick the fight. The fight picked them. But true , there is a lesson learned here.
Probably a bad choice of words and not implying any wrong doing by LC HOA. I strongly support HOAs on both sides of the border, their benefits to property owners can be huge. However taking too hard of a stand in a foreign country may not be a good idea. I assume the LC HOA is a Mexican Corporation and in theory nationality should not play a part in the legal maneuvering but I also assume PP government officials didn’t see it that way. A perception of Americans throwing their weight around and disrespecting the city could lead to issues like this. Just my thoughts, maybe totally off base, just what makes sense to me. Then again I don’t know all the facts, so sorry if I’m offending anyone.

ernesto

Well Known Member
You cannot allow runaway development in a close knit area like Las Conchas, Second row lots limited to 2 stories and behind are 3. This secures property values and views for all who choose to purchase an existing home or a lot for future development. High density housing such as multistory condos are restricted. Therein lies the problem. Some don't respect the limits to development they knew were in place before they chose to launch a project.

Landshark

Well Known Member
You cannot allow runaway development in a close knit area like Las Conchas, Second row lots limited to 2 stories and behind are 3. This secures property values and views for all who choose to purchase an existing home or a lot for future development. High density housing such as multistory condos are restricted. Therein lies the problem. Some don't respect the limits to development they knew were in place before they chose to launch a project.
Couldn’t agree more and a primary responsibility of an HOA. Just not sure how you accomplish that in this case and in this political arena. Kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place. Continuing the fight may just create more problems, and throwing in the towel doesn’t seem right.

CheddarBob

Well Known Member
Ocean front and second row limited to single story. 3rd row 2 story begins I believe.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
I sure wish Cholla Bay development had rules for Ocean front limited to single story buildings, it was that sorta that way 30 years ago.
Now build whatever you want. Seen it over and over again 2nd row houses with a view over an older ocean front place.

Place gets sold, the new owners tear it down and put up 2 and even 3 story houses.
The HOA in Cholla is totally powerless to do anything. Zero building/zoning guidelines.

The Cholla HOA was set up years ago, in that a 65/75% vote of the homeowners is needed to do something,
well out of approx 850 houses only 500ish pay their HOA fees so 40% can't even vote and only 120 even bother to vote on anything.
My numbers are close but not perfect on the HOA voting rules and members. Maybe someone from the HOA will add to this.

Now do I want an HOA that is restrictive so you can't paint your house a bright color? No but it would be nice to
have some zoning restrictions to prevent losing your view when people build a new or renovate an older house.

JoseAz

Well Known Member
Think of it more as a master planned community. That agreement has been in place for years....provide sceurity, road maintenance, water distribution, trash pick up, CCR's.....all confirmed by higher levels of government
One might ask, why has penasco not paved their public street.......
Complete extortion from the influen$$er who built the condos in section 9.....