Rocky Point Crime: Are we there yet?

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Many discussions about this incident with my wife. I think the bottom line is that the world we live in is socially corrupt to some degree, that even though there are really good people out there there is also a large part of the population that really doesn't care about anyone else but themselves, so that allows them to do really bad things.
To that end we would be foolish to declare that where we live (no matter where it is) is free of these socially inept people.
It does not matter to us what color or nationality the victims were, they were obviously victims. The crime against them is heinous regardless if they had ties or previous knowledge of the perps.
I believe that all of us no matter where we reside need to live our lives with eyes open and not be lured into believing that we live somewhere that is so special that bad stuff doesn't happen.
When I lived in Cottonwood, a small town in Northern AZ I locked my doors all the time and set my alarm. I had security doors and all! Was that action a result of something that had happened to me personally? No! It is just wise policy. Do I lock my doors in Penasco? Of course I do. Do I worry when I go out of town that I may be a victim of a break in? Of course I do. So I take measures to lessen my risk, and guess what folks we all have risk.
I hate that this crime happened where I live. I hate that this activity is rampant worldwide. I wish there was a perfectly safe place to call home where you could leave your doors unlocked and keys in your car, but that place does not exist.
Having said all of that I still report that we have a pretty great place here in Penasco. Warts and all. Gotta go, the beach is calling!

mis2810

They have all you of thinking now the family was or is hispanic, they are'nt.
Bill, I appreciate your information, I really do. But are you trying to say that these people whose home was robbed/invaded were really just a couple of innnocent, white, American tourists enjoying a beer at the home in Las Conchas? They have absolutely nothing to do with anybody or anything else in RP other than just enjoying the beach like the average person? I'm not doubting you, I'm asking, sincerely.

What I come up with now after reading everything here is a timeline like this:
1) Home invaded/robbed - with possible rape
2) 2 Days later the people who were robbed shoot at the 2 Mexicans who robbed them
3) All four die in the shootout, along with 2 state police officers and a painter.

What I can't figure out is why the 2 innocent, white, mind-your-own-business Las Conchas homeowners went gunning down the two Mexicans for revenge.

Please straighten me out here - my head is spinning.

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
I have reason, to believe, they work for the Greecian Consolute, thats why I mentioned the city, should think twice about what they are telling people.

Folks, this is Tim Steller (note the spelling, Larry!), the reporter of the story in the Arizona Daily Star. FWIW, I'm interested in the July 17 home invasion, the July 19 shootout, and any possible connection between the two. I'd be happy to hear what you have to say. I'm at [email protected] or 520-807-8427.

I've been down to PP quite a few times but am not a regular. I'm also skeptical of most of what I hear unless there's some way to substantiate it, but I'm happy to work at substantiation.

Two other points: I did a lot of reporting on border-area organized crime in the 1997-2003 era. And a "home invasion" is a residential armed robbery. It's a situation where armed robbers break into a home with the residents present.

Roberto

Well, well, senor reporter !! What you will get here is a lot of fragmented information most of it second or third or fourth hand. Remember teh three blind men and the elephant. You will of course feel free to report whatever you gather irrespective of confirmation, maybe using that much used disclaimer that the informant cannot be identified because he was not authorized to release the information. You will find more useful information in the wastebasket at the Circle K mens room.

azfish

My 2 cents, We were there the day after. There was nothing different from being here in AZ. We had no troubles and a blast being in RP. The police have everything under control, just like in the USA. Dont hang around shady people and you will be fine.

Roberto

Well I'm confident that you are delighted to be on the trail of a hot story that has all the sexy elements that you media folk like today: Mexico, blood, abuse, cartels. That's the stuff that sells papers, right.

mondone

Whitecaps
My 2 cents, We were there the day after. There was nothing different from being here in AZ. We had no troubles and a blast being in RP. The police have everything under control, just like in the USA. Dont hang around shady people and you will be fine.
Was that mexican painter fella hanging around with shady people?:sharks:

azfish

Well I'm confident that you are delighted to be on the trail of a hot story that has all the sexy elements that you media folk like today: Mexico, blood, abuse, cartels. That's the stuff that sells papers, right.
Well, here is a news flash. It was fun, great times, beer was good, food was great, people were great, and we were safe. Down side, we got sun burnt and my back is pealing now. The sun was the worst threat in RP.

Roberto, please explain how it is not newsworthy and relevant when a tourist haven in Mexico that many of our readers visit suddenly is hit with violent crimes against visitors for the first time.