Rocky Point History

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Well, let me be the first to post in here! LOL! Stuart, are you sure you want to give me, Kenny, El Gato and others a place to post our old stories? This will be the longest category here! LOL! I'll decide which story to post first. Get ready, everyone!

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
The only significant thing I can add would be the time in 1994 when I was leaving a party at Rigo E.'s house (owner of Los Pinos lumberyard) and crashed into Ramon Bustamontes police cruiser. He was the police chief then. I bet I'm the only gringo ever to get away with something like that. The good ole' day's.

Last edited:

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
Here are some photos we scanned from a old copy of Arizona Highways Magazine from 1964.
Playa, I ate a few times in the restauarnt La Caverna when I was little. It burned years ago and was never reopened. My uncle was commander of the port in the 60's and I spent alot time in Nogales.

El Gato

Well Known Member
Love the pictures. Also brought memories of eating at La Caverna when I was a kid. Bill was there as an adult but we never made it there together.

The first time I ever was down here was in 1948 (or maybe 1947) - we went out fishing. There had been a terrible storm and one of the shrimp boats had gone down. A fishing boat near us found one of the bodies so our captain headed back to port with them. When we reached port another body had washed up on the beach (Playa Hermosa? Sandy Beach?) and everyone was going there, including our Captain, who disappeared before my Dad could pay him. Being as small as it was everyone pretty well knew everyone in town or was related in some manner or other. We had to get back to Phoenix so Dad ended up paying the next time down (you did not drive the road to the border at night - too many chances of car problems, animals on the road and a bad road). I also remember that they were looking for a horse thief and it was like a hanging offence (a man supported his family with his horse).

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I also ate at La Caverna before it burned..... Long time ago........

I also remember the old road, narrow and bumpy. I used to drive down at night sometimes on that old road and once narrowly missed colliding with a cow. It was right in front of the alters. I still shudder at the memory.....

Last edited:

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
I also ate at La Caverna before it burned..... Long time ago........
Nogales Sonora is really pretty once you get out of the downtown district. In 2006 we stayed a couple of days with some friends in Villa Sonora a part of Nogales. I took my bass boat from there we went to Lake Novillo east of Hermosillo to fish for bass and then decided to take the historic Ruta Rio Sonora back to the states, we stopped in Aconchi and went into the catholic church, they still have the statue of Jesus placed there in the 1600's and he is a black man. If you are interested in Mexican history read about the Ruta Rio Sonora.

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
Another Spanish lesson Nogales are walnuts, nogal is one walnut. Around our little place in Cristopher Creek we have lots of Nogales. That place is near you Tomcat right below the Mogollon Rim.

Last edited:

jerry

Well Known Member
My geologist buddy is designing a gold mine east of Aconchi.He says it has cooled way down gangster wise...
Nogales Sonora is really pretty once you get out of the downtown district. In 2006 we stayed a couple of days with some friends in Villa Sonora a part of Nogales. I took my bass boat from there we went to Lake Novillo east of Hermosillo to fish for bass and then decided to take the historic Ruta Rio Sonora back to the states, we stopped in Aconchi and went into the catholic church, they still have the statue of Jesus placed there in the 1600's and he is a black man. If you are interested in Mexican history read about the Ruta Rio Sonora.

El Gato

Well Known Member
On the old road - shortly after leaving Soyonita - there used to be a really bad curve with lots of crosses marking the spot. Since we started coming down again after a lot of years of not being here I can't find the spot - don't know if my mind is playing games or they improved the road and got rid of it.

Also, when did they do away with the old cemetery that was on the hill as you went into the Old Port? My mother always wanted to be buried there so she so watch all the comings and goings.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Yeah, when they rebuilt the road about 10 years ago, they straightened it out. I had a close call on that curve once. Almost got took out by a Tecate semi..... He was taking his half out of the middle.

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
My geologist buddy is designing a gold mine east of Aconchi.He says it has cooled way down gangster wise...
The towns, Arizpe and Naco were the 2 worst towns of the trip. I sensed if you went looking for trouble in those towns it wouldn't take long to find it. Even back then there was army everywhere around Aconchi.

Also, when did they do away with the old cemetery that was on the hill as you went into the Old Port? My mother always wanted to be buried there so she so watch all the comings and goings.

El Gato... I believe the old cemetary is still back there... it's just a little harder to find the road into it, since they have built that motel out in front of it... I used to ride my mountain bike back there and I was always fasinated by the old above ground graves... I'll have to go and check it out again...

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
That was a great read, thanks for the post. Its amazing that the peso was 12.5 to 1 in 1964, i don't know anything but doesn't that seem high for 1964 in relation with todays currency? Isn't it roughly 12/13 to 1 right now? Wouldn't 12:1 back in 64 be worth more then, than todays 12:1? Also, the article stated a population of approximately 7,000 people at the highest estimate, does anyone know what the app. population is now or the highest it has ever been?

playaperro

El Pirata
Bill I also had a great time in Nogales.

Playa, I ate a few times in the restauarnt La Caverna when I was little. It burned years ago and was never reopened. My uncle was commander of the port in the 60's and I spent alot time in Nogales.
I will always treasure the days of the La Caverna era, I remember one vendor that I met one day selling his sarapes and tequila. He invited us into his store and we gladly went in, offered us a free shot of tequila. His name was Micky and his tiendas name was Micky's. He was a very nice person to us. Well nogales turned into a sour town and everyone got up and left, now its run from Sinaloa. I also had a great time in Agua Prieta, going to The copa, Santa Fee , Pelicos, Silver Dollar, Chapos, Man that was the time of my life...
Yes Micky was the one and the same that lived here in Penasco RIP amigo..

PS Lj Where are you pic's and storys.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I will put one up tonight. My pics are in boxes up high on some shelves in my spare bedroom and I can't stretch yet. Oh OWEEEEEEE if I stretch!!!!!

MIRAMAR

Well Known Member
Loved La Caverna- and especially (I can't believe I'm saying this) the Turtle Soup. It was incredible, although I wouldn't eat it now. It's kind of amazing a cave could burn- until you saw the electrical wires running down the wall.