Rocky Point report 7-23-10

dmcauley

[]Ed Brockmeyer and myself set out on the Josefina early Saturday morning to hunt down some grouper. Fished in the closer rocks for bait but it was a hard go at it for all the Sierra mackeral grabbing the sabikis before they could hit bottom. It was real hot and muggy so off we went about ten or 12 miles out for grouper. I hooked up really early on a fair sized grouper and gaffed it at the boat. He put up a great fight.
After a couple of drifts Ed remarked at how blue the water was and in the same breath said holy sh--, look at all the Dorado. We threw different baits at them but they soon lost their curiosity and swam off. We fished a while longer but the darn seals kept grabbing the few rock bass we had and finally I hooked into a big seal w/ my last good bait and fought him in a bit closer to try and release the hook and line but finally had to cut the line to release him.
We wanted to take pictures on the fish rack at Safe Marina but some scoundrels had made off with it so all I got is pictures on the boat.

ATTACH]1361[/ATTACH]Picture 028.jpg

Attachments

Kenny

he sure looks stout

Nice Grouper Dan, he sure looks stout!... I got hungry looking at that fish, time to eat!

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
In the second picture... which one is the grouper?

Hahahaha! Great job, Dan! All that practice is starting to pay off for you!

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Dan- I don't believe you really caught that fish out of Rocky Point... :wink:

From the direction of the wave-swell in the picture of you holding the fish, and using the angle that the light source is reflecting of the aluminum of your tower, that picture could only have been taken at the Golden Reef off of San Felipe....:clown:

Now, about thoes Dorado- are you sure that wasn't the same school that Stuart reported seeing in the kelp paddies off of Lobos?

Next week I'm towing my boat down to launch out of San Carlos, so I can run north and fish the 51 mile reef from the other direction, then then I'm going to borrow the fish rack from JJ's and go take pictures out on the abondoned lighthouse on Roca Consag. I figure to cover about 2000 miles and burn 700 gallons of fuel, just to make sure I maximize the environmental impact that goes along with catching endangered species...

:notme:

Dan- I don't believe you really caught that fish out of Rocky Point... :wink:

From the direction of the wave-swell in the picture of you holding the fish, and using the angle that the light source is reflecting of the aluminum of your tower, that picture could only have been taken at the Golden Reef off of San Felipe....:clown:

Now, about thoes Dorado- are you sure that wasn't the same school that Stuart reported seeing in the kelp paddies off of Lobos?

Next week I'm towing my boat down to launch out of San Carlos, so I can run north and fish the 51 mile reef from the other direction, then then I'm going to borrow the fish rack from JJ's and go take pictures out on the abondoned lighthouse on Roca Consag. I figure to cover about 2000 miles and burn 700 gallons of fuel, just to make sure I maximize the environmental impact that goes along with catching endangered species...

:notme:
:fail::stir::jerry::getlife: