Rocky Pt. Fishing 5-3-2014

Ted

Perfect weather and great fishing action aboard Ralph's big comfortable ProCat with my wife CJ and Capones Dave .
We found a hole with some big healthy red snappers, 15 to 20 pounders! Dave served an awesome platter of snapper collars last night at the restaurant while the Mayweather boxing match was on-life can be good in Mexico.

We caught and released a beautiful and rare saw-tail grouper and were invaded by school of squid.
Shawno and his wife stopped by Capones and reported a nice catch of ten big Sardineros and a 60# gulf.

Looks like the bite is picking up!!

Attachments

YumaJames

Perfect weather and great fishing action aboard Ralph's big comfortable ProCat with my wife CJ and Capones Dave .
We found a hole with some big healthy red snappers, 15 to 20 pounders! Dave served an awesome platter of snapper collars last night at the restaurant while the Mayweather boxing match was on-life can be good in Mexico.

We caught and released a beautiful and rare saw-tail grouper and were invaded by school of squid.
Shawno and his wife stopped by Capones and reported a nice catch of ten big Sardineros and a 60# gulf.

Nice! With the water that calm I'm guessing you guys must've been at Area 51. Good catch!

Ted

There has been some question as to the identification of that fish-sawtail or broom-tail. Pictures have been sent to a fish expert for confirmation. We were out at the 43 mile reef.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
There has been some question as to the identification of that fish-sawtail or broom-tail. Pictures have been sent to a fish expert for confirmation. We were out at the 43 mile reef.

There has been some question by other people about the identification of that fish, LOL

Shawno and I (and you Ted) all know that it was a Sawtail, and CJ's hi-res pics of the pics will help the experts to eventually come around and interpret Dr Rosenblatt's 1967 description of Mycteroperca Prionura correctly, and will also come to realize that your fish was a Sawtail. :cool:

I mean, the extension on the lower lobe of the preopercle is obvious on your fish, as is the prominance of the number 3 dorsal fin ray.... anyone can see that from the pics...it's as plain as day - sheesh. :rolleyes:

Awesome day on the water - CJ's Sheepshead is very beautiful (and also delicious)

Squid in May... what a wierd fishing season we have had this year...

Ted

Thx Robert. Glad CJ was along to take pictures. Yes it has been a strange season so far, just part of the allure to the beautiful SOC.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Y'all want some fun? Jig up some of those squid and drop 'em whole (or in big strips) at the 51. HANG ON!!!!!! Hahahaha!

It was May a few years ago when we did that and caught both ginormous white AND black seabass! True monsters. The trick is to use a really big piece because the piggy little goldspots can't devour it and get hooked up. I think the goldspots trying to eat it brings the big boys over and they swallow it right on down in one bite.

tmotsinger

Eating Newbie Gringo Taco

I think I ate one of those snappers at the bar during the fight. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk