RP Tourism & Visitor Assistance Bureau opening August 3

I forwarded the information about the tourism agency to a Tucson TV station and I will wait for a response as to when they will announce it publicly.
Very cool, and a great idea. I love how this community comes together when the chips are down to help each other and RP in general. Makes me smile inside. Aw shucks, now I'm going to get all mushy and stuff, dadgummit. :roll:

Roberto

Existing

I am wondering how this new organization compares to the existing ones. There is, or was I should say, an official govt. tourism office in Penasco. In fact it used to be located in the same building, not sure if it is still around.

Then there is the group that met a couple of times and was supposed to get a large bundle of Pesos from the State of Sonora. The director of Tourism attended an early meeting, which was very well attended. A representative of that group came by collecting 'donations' about 2 weeks ago so I guess they are still active (or we got ripped off) !

Hola Roberto, that's a good question. The government office that you refer to is the Office of Conventions & Visitors (OCV). Oscar Palacio, owner of Playa Bonita is the President of that organization and Rafael Gonzalez is the Director. You may or may not know that every room/hotel rental in Penasco is subject to a 2% tax.The government matches that money. The hotel industry is charged with determining how that money can be spent to promote tourism for the hotel industry in the city. As Oscar is a hotelier, he was selected from the group to run that organization.

For many years now, they have been overwhelmed because people in the community have looked at them as the "tourism office", and expected them to provide tourism for the city, when, while it is part of their job...they have wanted the rest of the community to also do something. Rafael was at our meeting last week and expressed his desire to support our efforts.

In the words of Ruben Gonzalez, owner of the Lluvia del Mar hotel, "it's about time the rest of the community did something". Their group and ours will work in conjunction to avoid duplicating efforts.

As for the Uniting Penasco group. I was also at the first two meetings. You're right...there were a lot of people there. Frankly, I don't know how that's going. I did not sign up for any committees. Nor was I sought out for advice or input. (those of you who note an undercurrent here are probably correct. You can have more info on this if you ask the right questions). I happen to be cautious when it comes to a situation where I see too many chiefs. Only because it rarely works. Also, folks were asked for contributions. Our effort will run with volunteers staffing the office (with me), and as you know, some people are donating office supplies, web hosting and an air conditioner. I am grateful and they will be appreciated in any way possible, including member services...but I think that is different than asking 400 business people for a monetary donation and time on committees. By the way, we will have an Advisory Committee to oversee activities and help settle issues.

I think business people should be offered a service in exchange for their investment. I further believe in accountability...a person heading something up and making it work. Makes more sense to a control freak like me, I guess.

While we're on the subject of what I think, it is my opinion that the real estate community should be taken into consideration, but should not be running the show. Right now, their desperation is showing. Just do a search on Google...bunches of websites working real hard to "sell". I intend to counteract bad media with good media, and if I sell anything, it will be events and participation. To member businesses, I will sell memberships for which they will get a list of promotional services, similar to chamber of commerce and better business bureau in the States. Other than that, I cannot speak to what Uniting Penasco is doing.

I don't know if your money was well-spent. You tell me...

Rosie, do you need a logo? If you don't already have that handled through yours/Manny's contacts, I have some experience in that field.

Melody did a couple, Manny Jr. is kicking it around a bit, and if you get a flash, by all means...I will then pick one (actually, I'll know it when I see it). It needs to be a logo that can work for our member businesses in their advertising as well. Like the BBB. Saw your page...great! Thank you.

Roberto

So it sounds like you will be selling memberships in your new organization ? Have you established a fee schedule?

I wonder if anyone has ever inquired to the OCV regarding how they spend their money? That 2% would add up over a year. Do you know if the 2% is collected on condo rentals?

I'm not really sure, but I think the rental agencies and the condos do contribute to the 2%. Just a guess, though. A few years ago I sat in on a meeting where it was explained to business people how the money was spent. Advertising in the States, especially Arizona, some national ads. Don't recall the details, but yes...it was explained.

Our fee schedule is being worked out as we speak. There will be Charter Members and Sustaining Members. Also a plan for small businesses. You will be amazed with some of the promotions all ready in the works, and the office isn't even ready yet! I'll keep you posted on the fee schedule and events and meetings. Hope you can make the next one.