saf to travel?

505sally

We are thinking of going to RP during Christmas Holiday. However, we have heard that it might not be a safe travel from Arizona to RP.

I am spending a week in RP from Christmas to Jan 4th. I am driving from Phoenix, and I personally think the travel is safe for my family. There has been very few reasons to worry about the Phx to RP trip. The roads are nice, and this travel route is what brings money into RP, so they have much motivation for keeping it safe. I have been traveling down to RP for almost 20 years, and have never had an issue. Take care. Enjoy your trip.

C

Cindi

Hi Sally,

We went to RP for the Thanksgiving holiday and I too was very nervous. I have been to Mexico several times via cruises and flew in a couple of times but never have driven into or throughout Mexico. I was afraid we would get car jacked in the desert or see shoot outs during the drive. After being in RP I feel silly for even wasting my energy thinking the what ifs.

I followed the advice I found posted here like don't drive down to RP at night, follow the speed limit as best as you can and once you get into RP be alerted to the alto signs (sometimes they are hard to see).

I hope you go, enjoy this little paradise, and support the locals. BTW I saw plenty of AZ license plates, I even saw someone from Maine.

Enjoy your trip.

Esperanza

We travel to RP every other weekend to visit our home. We always time our trip so that we cross the border and get "home" before dark. Don't let the "Sky is Falling" crazy's keep you away from such a wonderful place.

Roberto

:mexico::usa::mexico::usa::mexico::usa:While I live in Penasco permanently and don' t cross much anymore, others on this forum make the trip from Phoenix and Tucson regularly and none are are reporting feeling insecure or having problems. I meet with people coming here to vacation regularly and they say the same. I find the town peaceful at Christmas.

Take the ordinary precautions that you would when traveling anywhere in the US. Drive defensively, be aware of your surroundings, take care with strangers, avoid travel late in the night and most importantly have a great time.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Sally,
I'm a single woman and I drive back and forth regularly alone and I have for over 35 years. I don't drive at night in Mexico anymore, tho. And, this last weekend, I was browbeaten by my friends here to get a Mexican cell phone. I now have a way to call them there if I get stranded between the border and Rocky Point. Have a great time and we hope to meet you soon!

jerry

RpJoe has some self defense tips that could come in handy in previous posts.On his Bat-utility belt he carrys balloons full of oil to throw at Elcalades full of heavily armed Sicarios that want to be the first gangsters to hijack a family of American knuckleheads headed toward the beach.

Esperanza

rpjoe has some self defense tips that could come in handy in previous posts.on his bat-utility belt he carrys balloons full of oil to throw at elcalades full of heavily armed sicarios that want to be the first gangsters to hijack a family of american knuckleheads headed toward the beach.
lol :deadhorse::ham:

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Ok Jerry, you are starting to sound like a broken record..............:blah::blah::aagh::aagh:

Sally,
I'm a single woman and I drive back and forth regularly alone and I have for over 35 years. I don't drive at night in Mexico anymore, tho. And, this last weekend, I was browbeaten by my friends here to get a Mexican cell phone. I now have a way to call them there if I get stranded between the border and Rocky Point. Have a great time and we hope to meet you soon!
Hey Jeepers! Did you already program my cell number into your new phone? 638.112.0134 in case of emergency.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Not yet. Everyone that was there at the fish fry yesterday programmed their numbers into my phone. I am technologically challenged so I will have one of the kids at work do it for me tomorrow. LOL! Do you have your last 2 shows up in the web yet?

Rocky Point Rides

Relax.....we're driving!!
We are thinking of going to RP during Christmas Holiday. However, we have heard that it might not be a safe travel from Arizona to RP.
505sally, I have been driving to and from Rocky Point regularly and sometimes less that I would like to due to the mis-information we are getting in USA regarding the dangerous areas in Mexico, the drive from Sonoyta and Rocky point is safe, even the road is better than certain areas in the USA route 86 or 85 and like many have already mention drive during the day and use the same common sense you would at home as commercial driver I do have to add you must be aware of all the other as they drive very different than in USA but most importantly you must ENJOY your trip and the festivities of Navidades y Agno Nuevo!!

Last edited:
Hey Jeepers! Did you already program my cell number into your new phone? 638.112.0134 in case of emergency.
Rosie may I program it into my wife's Tel Cel phone also. She drives down a lot by herself and even though we have other friends there as well its always nice to know someone else she can call in a real emergency. Thanks, Blaine

T

Tomcat

I am a newbie and have just 2 trips to rocky point and I felt completely safe but did travel in day light hours. I was supposed to meet someone at the border my first trip but that didn't work out so the next thing I knew I was across the border on my own and just went for it and its just a straight shot through the desert and your there. I would highly recommend having a few experienced people know your coming in case of a break down BUT getting lost is not really a concern after you get through the border town Sonoyta. Forget all the news stories and just go for it. I have traveled several places around the world and have learned that the tourist supported areas have way to much to loose if bad things happen to the tourist. As soon as your get there and meet some of the great people on this forum you will be so glad you made the trip.... YES watch out for alto signs (stop) and there a few huge speed bumps to be on the lookout for in rocky point... Have a great trip !!! I did :)

playaperro

El Pirata
Hola Rosie, I called you this morning at 3:00 am to saludate and you did not pick up. Whats up with that?

Playa