Safe in Puerto Penasco?

Is it safe in Puerto Penasco?

• Total voters
Never been there for Easter but from the pictures and videos I've seen, I don't want to !!
Don't really like going when the "breakers" are there, but haven't been down since TG. I'm jonesin' so it looks like I'm going to have to deal with it, just gonna have to lay low at the PDO. Hopefully the little bastards won't be on the golf course??

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I'm in the Mirador. When I've needed a taxi I've had to call, that's how dead it is. I'm sooooooo glad I can drive again!

Howell

First-time poster. My wife and I, along with our three boys (ages 15, 13, & 8), will be traveling to Puerto Penasco in June for our very first trip to Mexico. We live in New Mexico, but are originally from Florida. We love the desert, but miss the proximity to water and the beach :) We are looking forward to coming down in a few months. We will be staying at the Palacio Del Mar Condo in the Mirador. We chose to stay there instead of the Sandy Beach resorts because of the smaller size of the condo complex, the smaller crowds, and the sea being only steps from our first floor patio. We've done resorts at other beaches, but we just want to chill and relax for the week. Also, being closer to the Malecon was a plus. For those who live in that particular area (Roberto and Ladyjeeper), any words of wisdom or advice for a first-time traveler to Puerto Penasco (and Mexico) staying in the Mirador would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and God bless!

Roberto

That's a quiet and convenient location. That from an Ex New Mexican and permanent Mexican. This is the closest beach town to New Mexico.

Howell

That's a quiet and convenient location. That from an Ex New Mexican and permanent Mexican. This is the closest beach town to New Mexico.
Thanks for the quick reply, Roberto. I thought that the location would be quiet and also convenient to town. I appreciate you confirming that. Although it will be a bit of a drive for us (9-10 hours with an overnight stop in Tucson), we are looking forward to some R&R on the beach and visiting PP and Mexico.

Kea

The drive from New Mexico to Peñasco is not bad. We take a very long day to get from central TX to Wilcox (about an hour or 2 east of Tucson) and cross the next morning. The worst part of our drive is getting out of TX!

Enjoy your trip!

Luna

Sea Shell Goddess
We have always felt safe in RP; however, cannot say the same thing about Phoenix!.
As stated, it is not truly "safe" anywhere is it? We have been traveling to RP for years, never as often as we would like. There have been so many changes over the years. We are not bar people anymore and typically bring most of our own food and cocktails, and just stay at our condo. Again, not because we are afraid but because we are on vacation and just want to chillax and enjoy where we are. Also, we have big doggie with us so that limits where we can go and what we can do. We usually stay on Mirimar because we enjoy the privacy and beauty, but we do drive into town and beyond, and have driven at night. I agree that because there are NO lights the roads are dark, and animals crossing can be dangerous. Also, as stated, we stay way Easter week/Spring break, just a bit too crowded for us. We also typically do not go in the hot, hot summer months for personal reasons.
This being said, we do not have children so I cannot speak on that. If you are hesitant, you should test the waters first and go as a couple. Talk to the people there and get their opinons. I believe if you are just aware and smart it is just as "safe" as anywhere else.

Info to the Howell' coming to RP for the first time. Check the tide charts and plan on cruising the tide pools that will be in front of you at low tide. That is one of the things we have been doing for many years. Be sure to wear water capable shoes the rocks and shells are sharp. There is an abundance of sea life that you can see and touch in those pools.