Safe Marina?

Has any one taken a boat down and used the Safe marina for storage and launching/ or any other marina? Have you had and issues, theft or damage and what was the cost per night?
I just picked up a center console and am itching to get some fishing in.
I appreciate the feedback,

They are the best and only marina in Penasco. I've been using them for twenty plus years. Never any problems. They launch, retrieve, wash down, flush engine, clean fish, dock on the water, charge to park by the day, month or year. They do maintenance on your boat and trailer. They rent some nice apartments on site. They speak English, Spanglish and Mexican. They keep on top of your VHF com and will have a launcher ready for you when you arrive with your boatload of pescado. They have a resident Brown Pelican and a few feral cats to entertain you as you get your booty chopped up.

They do excellent fillets. Let them keep your fish heads and carcasses as they give them to the orphanage in town. Take note of the flags indicating the sea conditions, red means dead buddy!

We are chowing down on a wild caught Sea of Cotez Yellowtail steak tonight with two jumbo artichokes from Salinas California.

JJ

JJ,
I appreciate the feedback. I will be giving them a call to make sure they have space for me next trip. Is the Cholla bay radio station still up and running if there was any trouble? Besides them who would you call or radio for an emergency?

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Used them for many years. They charge by the foot (length of boat on trailer). I would often store there overnight or for the weekend, but is cheaper to store at Whale Hill if you're going to leave the boat down there long term. Short haul to Safe Marina.

Guys there are the best. Launching at low tide can be a real adventure, so be advised, especially with the extreme tides this month.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Cholla Bay radio (channel 26) has been down for years now. Army took it down because the cartels were using it. You might (might) be able to raise somebody on 16, but don't count on it.

Your best bet is a cellphone. Get the cell number of one of the guys at Safe Marina or a friend in the area. Cell coverage is pretty amazing, even out to the 51 I've gotten calls and text messages.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Stuart, It would be for the weekend or a few weeks at a time. Low tide at safe marina or whale hill is tough?
Anywhere in Penasco! Whale Hill is only storage, no marina. If you haven't been there for an extreme tide, you have no idea. Cholla Bay completely empties out. The shrimp boats in the harbor bottom out and lay on their sides. When it comes back in, it often floods the road coming into Cholla Bay. Don't have my tide calendar around, but usually around full moon in April and again in October.

Safe Marine can usually get you in and out during normal tides, depending on the size of your boat. But the back of the harbor where they launch/recover is very shallow at low tide.