Sagarpa, the mordelones responsible for harrassing Americans

dmcauley

In trying to understand why these people do not want Americans to bring in certain products I ran across this. As much as I try not to tread on RP I cannot ignore these ridiculous laws being enforced and scaring some Americans more.
My wife is pushing me on this because she says they will listen to American complaints before Mexican complaints.
There is an office in Sonoita of complaints and I urge all who are bothered by these money grubbers to complain. We all know it is illegal to bring in second hand clothing and other garage sale items but these are apparently being ignored tso they can go after the "rich" gringo. Pretty sad that we need to pay to read their laws.
http://www.mexicanlaws.com/sagarpa/sagarpa.htm
Okay, buy your food in Mexico but for heavens sake, let us feed your abandoned animals.;

First I thought the prices were in Mexican...then read the fine print on the bottom...US dollars!!!! If the US government charged prices like that for copies of rules and regulations, there would be an uproar1

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
In trying to understand why these people do not want Americans to bring in certain products I ran across this. As much as I try not to tread on RP I cannot ignore these ridiculous laws being enforced and scaring some Americans more.
My wife is pushing me on this because she says they will listen to American complaints before Mexican complaints.
There is an office in Sonoita of complaints and I urge all who are bothered by these money grubbers to complain. We all know it is illegal to bring in second hand clothing and other garage sale items but these are apparently being ignored tso they can go after the "rich" gringo. Pretty sad that we need to pay to read their laws.
Okay, buy your food in Mexico but for heavens sake, let us feed your abandoned animals.;
Dan, the dog food, I think is not allowed because of the no restictions on what goes in to it animal body part wise, I am sure if somebody looked into it, it has to do with mad cow disease in the beef by products that could be found in the food.

dmcauley

Thanks Bob, the point is still that they charge gringoes too much money for the same laws in English. If we did that to others we would be called racists.

Dan, I followed the link and it's clear that this isn't the Mexican government charging you for copies of the laws in English. Click on the "About Us" and you'll see that this is a business. The sole owner of the business is a guy named Glenn Louis McBride Whithenshaw (sounds more American than Mexican). My guess is that he's a lawyer and is making money accessing information, translating documents and selling them to interested parties. Nothing racist about it.

Oh, and while I have no doubt that some sellers of second-hand items do successfully sneak their stuff across the border, if caught they also face hefty fines, too. I've had to help Mexicans who wind up with legal problems caused by being caught bringing such items across. And then there are those who declare at the border and pay the importation taxes. Americans might sometime feel as though they're the only ones being held to the laws, but that isn't the case and for Mexicans without a lot of money, getting caught in the legal process can be life-changing.

about us...
Mexicanlaws S.A. de C.V. is a Mexican corporation based in Tijuana, Baja California that provides English translations of current Mexican legislation. Translations are organized using the basic structure of oversight and enforcement of the Executive branch under Mexican law...

That is the Mexican culture fortunately or unfortunately. The culture demands if you want something then you pay for it. One of the examples of this that I witnessed first hand was when I was studying for the Sonoran Real Estate license.

The educational part required a payment of almost $1,000 USD (There was a discount granted to the members of the Real Estate Associations in PP). It was a university sanctioned degree called a "Diplomado". The professors were Notarios, CPA's and Sonoran Goverment officials.

While we were studying a module of titles ("escrituras") a question was posed to one of the Puerto Penasco Notarios about a certain situation that one of the members of the class had a question about. The Notario refused to answer the guestion, but offered to "Consult" for a fee in his office the particular situation.

One would think in an paid academic environment a question from a student to the professor (Who is being paid by the university to instruct) where we could apply what we were learning in the class to a real life situation would be answered without an additional "Fee".

That is an example of the culture that both Gringos and Mexicans have to put up with.

jerry

I love dogs way more than people but a spay/humane population control effort would get more of my money that a dog food fund. Arcane Nafta rules and negotiations over the trucking program are the spark that has this new crackdown happening.

dmcauley

I'm not asking for money Jerry, and we do spay strays also but my wife likes to feed them. She's instigating this and she won't stop.
You know as well as me Rosie that the Fayucaros (sic) don't really pay taxes.
I am hoping other gringoes like myself will complain. After all, accomadation is good for buisness.

I'm not asking for money Jerry, and we do spay strays also but my wife likes to feed them. She's instigating this and she won't stop.
You know as well as me Rosie that the Fayucaros (sic) don't really pay taxes.
I am hoping other gringoes like myself will complain. After all, accomadation is good for buisness.
Hopefully they will capitulate and change the rules, Dan. I know that Fayuqueros that get caught bringing stuff in can pay stiff fines. They might have an easier time avoiding the income tax than they will with the importation taxes. Most still do it the old-fashioned way...sneaking the stuff in. The same thing you can do with the dog food. I'm just making sure everyone has the information needed.

dmcauley

Don't think I don't appreciate you and your advice Rosie but I think I'll stay on my high horse and try to make changes legaklly.

Don't think I don't appreciate you and your advice Rosie but I think I'll stay on my high horse and try to make changes legaklly.
Oh, I know you do. I wish you all the best in your efforts. Keep us informed, and if there's anything I can do to help, let me know. Gretchen and I are planning a trip to the border in the next few days to get a little more information.

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
Mad Cow Ban

www.cjonline.com/stories/011004/bus_madcow.shtml I still think the Mexican ban on pet food starts with mad cow. There are alot of other articles about mad cow and pet foodon the net. I can't see Mexico putting it's cattle business at risk just so we can feed our dog's. That article is old, but there is a list of other countries that banned U.S. Pet food for mad cow threat.

Last edited: