Sailboats at sandy beach

We hold one racing regatta in Mexico, The Rocky Point Challenge. This event is held in Rocky Point, Mexico during the month of October. The race includes long distance triangle races on Saturday and shorter triangle racing on Sunday.
We also hold a Sailfest weekend in the Spring in Rocky Point, Mexico. We have a fun sail on Saturday and Sunday, and hold a Chili Cookoff on Saturday night, with prizes awarded for Traditional, Non-Traditional, Vegetarian, and also the Hottest.

Arizona Multihull Fleet 42, Established in 1980, Fleet 42 is the only open-class multihull sailing club in Arizona and the Southwestern states region. We are open to all makes and size catamarans. We also have a Laser Fleet and welcome any other smal

Thank you wildtoucan! And geez Mexico Joe and Roberto, don't get your panties in a wad.......it's not the first time a thread has been off topic. He said he thought they were fishing.........

Roberto

Thank you wildtoucan! And geez Mexico Joe and Roberto, don't get your panties in a wad.......it's not the first time a thread has been off topic. He said he thought they were fishing.........
Hey I thought it was a thread about Italian cooking, what with the cheese and all !!

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
We hold one racing regatta in Mexico, The Rocky Point Challenge. This event is held in Rocky Point, Mexico during the month of October. The race includes long distance triangle races on Saturday and shorter triangle racing on Sunday.
We also hold a Sailfest weekend in the Spring in Rocky Point, Mexico. We have a fun sail on Saturday and Sunday, and hold a Chili Cookoff on Saturday night, with prizes awarded for Traditional, Non-Traditional, Vegetarian, and also the Hottest.

Arizona Multihull Fleet 42, Established in 1980, Fleet 42 is the only open-class multihull sailing club in Arizona and the Southwestern states region. We are open to all makes and size catamarans. We also have a Laser Fleet and welcome any other smal

Last year we were returning to port from the 22 mile reef during the regatta.

Man, navigating through a bunch of sailboats is like trying to avoid the orange cones on a high-speed skid pad...

You're funny Stuart!! Indeed, to each their own. My husband recently bought a catamaran and it's his "baby". He's the type of person who really loves a challenge and his way of thinking is that anyone, in general, can operate a boat with a motor.......but a sailboat takes a bit more skill. Unfortunatley, fishing is not his type of challenge. That's where the sailboat and I have a problem.....if I can't fish off of it, I can live without it!! But, like I said, it's his thing and I'll just have to suck it up and fish from shore!!!!

I asked him about that.....but then it's not a "real" sailboat. I see his point. But if it could just be put on and taken off at will (for the sole purpose of fishing), that might be doable!!! I don't mind fishing from shore....I'm not in it for "the big one". Hell, I caught five little blue gills last Sunday from shore at Patagonia and I was like a kid in a candy store....I got so excited, I nearly pee'd myself!!!!!!!

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
You're funny Stuart!! Indeed, to each their own. My husband recently bought a catamaran and it's his "baby". He's the type of person who really loves a challenge and his way of thinking is that anyone, in general, can operate a boat with a motor.......but a sailboat takes a bit more skill. Unfortunatley, fishing is not his type of challenge. That's where the sailboat and I have a problem.....if I can't fish off of it, I can live without it!! But, like I said, it's his thing and I'll just have to suck it up and fish from shore!!!!
I've been around boats and had my own a good part of my life. I do all my own boat maintenance. Over the years, many folks have asked me - "I want to buy a boat - which one would you recommend?" My standard answer? The one that best fits the way you intend to use it. Why? There is no "perfect" boat. That is, one in which you can do everything you might want to do on a boat. So, the most important decisions to make are before you ever open the classified ads, buy boating magazines and drool over the pictures, or god forbid, go to a dealer and tell him you want to buy a boat.

If you decide that you want to buy a boat to go to the lake and waterski or wakeboard, there's plenty to choose from. Just don't expect that boat to be a good fishing boat in saltwater. If your desire is to be carried wherever the winds take you, there's your sailboat. And when it comes to fishing, the choices get even more application, if not almost fish species, specific. Boats for fishing the shallow water flats, boats for cruising far off shore, bass boats for the lakes, boats with extravagant creature comforts to those that are spartan by comparison, with prices that match. Once you've made that important "how I intend to use it" decision, then start shopping, keeping in mind that there will be compromises you'll need to make when you attempt to use the boat for other purposes -- as you said, fishing from hubby's catamaran.

For me, I want a few hundred horsepower behind me, I want to be able to reliably go long distances and get there quickly, and I demand something that won't make me fear for my life if the weather should suddenly go beserk while I'm far from port. I also want some level of creature comfort -- a bathroom and somewhere to get out of the sun at a minimum. I also expect whatever boat I own to be able to fish in multiple ways - trolling for big game, dropping at the deep reefs, or even casting in the shallows just off the beach with enough room for a few folks to fish without stepping all over each other. I want the best electronics so I know exactly where I am (to within a couple of feet) and exactly what the bottom looks like below me. I also need somewhere to keep live bait alive and somewhere to keep dead fish cold. Everything beyond those requirements is secondary. Just an example of prethinking "intended use" before shopping. Obviously, somebody's else's priorities would be different than mine.

If you really want to fish from his sail cat, go out with him and just use a sabiki rig with about a 6 oz. weight at the bottom. You can drop it when he's going slow or just let it stream out behind the boat for trolling. You'll be surprised at what you catch! I have the honor of saying I actually caught a nice size pinto bass on a sabiki rig one trip while making bait.

:puff:

Good one Jerry!!! Thanks for the input and info Stuart..........I definitely will keep the sabiki rig in mind, if and when I ever do decide to fish from it:)