SAILING PENASCO

F

firebarttt

Hi! I am heading to Penasco in Sept. with my sail boat. Anyone sail the waters? Where can I find out what I need for bringing my boat to RP? Where can I launch, moor, anchor? We are staying in Los Conchas, can I anchor off there? How about tide charts, nav charts, fishing, water hazards, ect? I am a fairly new sailor. I have done the power boat for years and took my 21 foot deck boat down but that was years ago. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Ken :boat:

S

Submarine

I just sail Hobie's and I haven't made it to monohulls yet.

I haven't seen anyone anchor off Las Conchas for anything more than a few hours. Remember that there is a huge tidal change, so you could find yourself beached.
------
whoops, garbage in=garbage out on a metric conversion table.

F

firebarttt

Thanks Inka and Sub. Any idea on what I need to bring the boat into Mex.? Insurance, bill of sale, ect.? Whatabout fishing licenses? Any advice on getting tidal info online or charts?

firebarttt said:
Thanks Inka and Sub. Any idea on what I need to bring the boat into Mex.? Insurance, bill of sale, ect.? Whatabout fishing licenses? Any advice on getting tidal info online or charts?
Here's one link to Tide info:
http://tbone.biol.sc.edu/tide/tideshow. ... %2C+Mexico

You can also pick up a Tide Calendar for the year at the Dive Shop right near the harbor (fishermen's launch area). The RockyPoint Times (newspaper) also has a Tide Chart for the entire month.

Don't know about anchoring off Los Conchas.....the weather and water conditions can change very rapidly. I used to anchor my jetskis off Sandy Beach when I camped at Playa Bonita, but would never do so over night, partially because of the tidal range (as much as 23+ ft. at new moon and full moon), and the soft bottom. It was a hell of a swim out to the jetskis when the tide came in!!! Even had one of the pangas try to take my anchor, line and float when I went off to ride. Depending on how long you'll be down there with the sailboat, you might want to check out "dayslips" in the harbor....either Safe Marina or the new set of slips right before the ones that the sunset cruise boats are at. The new slips have a gas/diesel fuel dock. You can access them off the road to the Malecon....at the street before the Dive Shop.

As for paperwork, I carry my Registration from AZ Game and Fish for the jetskis. That's been checked at the border by the Mexicans. Don't have insurance on them when they are in the water (only on the trailer when it's attached to the tow vehicle). Haven't been able to find anyone that writes insurance policies on jetskis when out of the US, but you should be able to find someone writing policies for boats. As far as I know, your US policy won't be valid there (unless you have one for "bluewater" cruising). I recall reading something about having a Mexican liability policy for a boat, but not sure about specifics.

You can probably get a lot more advice on the Fishing Forum here.

firebarttt said:
Steve Utter keeps a large sailboat in the marina at Rocky Point during the winter months and then moves it to the coast of Southern California for the summer. He offers his boat for charter out of Rocky Point and he should have the answer to most of your questions. Check his website out and contact him thru that site:

sailrockypoint.com

S

Submarine

Yeah 23 ft max as far as height but it goes out for hundreds and hundreds of yards depending on where you are so pretty easy to get stranded.

Anything else you need 4 days to clarify there Bob? Take your time.

S

Submarine

No please Bob don't do that, you might lose your edge. We need your investigative journalism skills!

Don't worry bob, I'm sure all that empty space between your ears qualifies as a USCG approved Type III flotation device.

Please could someone tell me who is putting on this thread the red warning about the number of people killed and the danger in Mexico in 2008?

Janet

Gosh...posting on this old thread......

And to answer your question...it's good old Sub (Submarine....) It's part of his signature.....