Sam's Club

Roberto

Went by Sam's yesterday and got in to check it out without having a membership card. All in all I was impressed. Huge selction and stuff looked pretty good. Lots of food you don't see elsewhere in Penasco. They even had Pate, pepperoni and some other gourmet looking stuff. Good selection of prepared foods and frozen stuff. Lots of meats.

Not good with prices but I did notice vehicle batteries at 1200 to 1400 pesos and I bought one at the battery store on Benito Juarez some time ago for 750 pesos so not a good price there.

Some furniture, not much. Electronics section a little light, maybe 5 or 6 large TVs and only 2 Vido cameras. Lots of dog food. Good selection of household stuff, soap, cleaners, etc. A few tools like battery chargers and power washers, no hand tools.

Lots of alcohol. Francia Cab 5 L box at 130 pesos, cheaper than in the US by far. Broad wine selection even had a Woodbridge Chardonne, only Chard I've seen in town. Lots of higher end Mexican wines.

Sit on Kayak $3500 pesons. Nice patio outdoor furniture sets. No automotive stuff, was hoping for tires.

I'm guesing that the selection will even improve over time as it did at the Bodega next door.

No Bling yesterday.

Last edited:

mis2810

I don't have a Sam's Club card - does anyone know where I can buy an umbrella for the beach? I already checked at Walmart and they said they didn't have any. Do you think the store in front of Super Ley that sells all the blow up beach toys would have one?

If they do have one at Sam's will they let me in without the card???

Thanks!

When all else fails, I can usually find 2 different qualities of beach umbrellas at the Cosmos 2000 Farmacia just after the railroad tracks past the bridge on the main road into town, aka Benito Juarez. Prices are pretty good, especially in a bind during the summer months.

mis2810

Thanks! I know where Cosmos is - I always forget about that place. But I'm still curious about Numeros too. Do you know where it is?

Roberto

Turn at the 4 way stop on Benito Juarez and go a couple of blocks, watch for the tall sign on the right. It's on Sonora, I think, next to the 3 fish feeding center.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
It's right by the cell tower, Melissa. It's a great store. They have colorful plates, bowls, rugs and play pretties for the house. It's like a glorified dollar store. But the sell hot water heater Everything, really..

mis2810

It's right by the cell tower, Melissa. It's a great store. They have colorful plates, bowls, rugs and play pretties for the house. It's like a glorified dollar store. But the sell hot water heater Everything, really..
Thanks, Chari! Can't wait to check it out. I'll have to stop by Cedasa also since it's right near there!

Roberto

A friend stopped by Sams and she reports being very impressed. Whole roasted chicken 69 pesos and tasty too. Interesting that she picked up a coupon booklet that includes stuff not yet on the shelf, including tires !! Also notice items from Tyson, Quaker, Kellogs, Spalding. So there is more to come. This store has brought a whole new world to Penasco residents.

mis2810

I was there yesterday. We stopped at Walmart to buy a Mexican cell phone so that my husband can call his family in Mexico City while we're here for 2 weeks. We were also looking for a beach umbrella. WalMart didn't have one so we went to Sam's. They told us we could come in and look around but couldn't buy anything unless we bought the membership. So we went in, found the umbrella and I asked some lady to buy it for us and I gave her the money. Done. I'm glad I got the umbrella, but I'm mad at myself for buying it there, since they were so quick to turn us away if we didn't buy the $400 membership. I just didn't want to run around all morning looking for one elsewhere. But I can see how Sam's would be a fantastic place for full-time gringo residents to get a little taste of home an some specialty items they are missing.

A friend stopped by Sams and she reports being very impressed. Whole roasted chicken 69 pesos and tasty too. Interesting that she picked up a coupon booklet that includes stuff not yet on the shelf, including tires !! Also notice items from Tyson, Quaker, Kellogs, Spalding. So there is more to come. This store has brought a whole new world to Penasco residents.
I was fired up when I saw they had Captain Crunch...

I was there yesterday. We stopped at Walmart to buy a Mexican cell phone so that my husband can call his family in Mexico City while we're here for 2 weeks. We were also looking for a beach umbrella. WalMart didn't have one so we went to Sam's. They told us we could come in and look around but couldn't buy anything unless we bought the membership. So we went in, found the umbrella and I asked some lady to buy it for us and I gave her the money. Done. I'm glad I got the umbrella, but I'm mad at myself for buying it there, since they were so quick to turn us away if we didn't buy the $400 membership. I just didn't want to run around all morning looking for one elsewhere. But I can see how Sam's would be a fantastic place for full-time gringo residents to get a little taste of home an some specialty items they are missing.
OK.....So you found the umbrella you wanted...you didn't have to run around doing any more shopping...but upset that you would have to pay membership at a membership store??????????????????????????????????????????

mis2810

OK.....So you found the umbrella you wanted...you didn't have to run around doing any more shopping...but upset that you would have to pay membership at a membership store??????????????????????????????????????????
Yes, because there had been talk on here, and the people in WalMart said that since they just opened they were going to let people without memberships buy things.