San Felipe, yeah or nay

Cabo

Spanish Mackerrel
San Felipe sounds like a quaint town, maybe like PP 30 years ago?

Any information anyone can share?
How about any ferries / excursions from PP to San Felipe? Sound like a fun day trip.
How long would it be by sea? (Not a speed boat.)
Is it a field trip that is recommeded?

A Lazy way to spend time breathing the salt air. (Great for my asthma) and watching the Cetaceans :p
Guaymas to Rosalito and Mazatlan to La Paz are two that have been mentioned to me.

Last edited:
B

bahiatrader

I have a friend who spends his winters in San Filipe. He likes it. A day trip from Puerto Peñasco is do-able. Ity's not as commercialized as Rocky Point. The ocean is so shallow there that it's usually kind of murky and you have to go out a long ways to get in deep enough water to swim. My wife caught the biggest corvina I've ever seen fishing out of San Filipe. I'd say it was worth a visit.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
San Felipe

Eh, depends on what you want to do. I've been there a couple times. Spent a week there several years ago. The kids were bored to tears. The wife and I also beach camped there for several days, and that wasn't too bad, except for the Mexicans that roll in and set up next to you, only to drink and party all night long. Shore fishing stinks. The beach literally stinks at low tide (smells like sewage). As Bahia said, tide goes way out because it is so shallow. There are some beautiful, unspoiled beaches south of town.

Virtually no place decent to launch a boat. I had a 23' ft. aluminum center console at the time and you had to launch and recover on the high tide (3 in the morning or whenever) or forget it. Damn near put the boat on the beach one day because you're launching and recovering directly into the ocean, no public harbor or protection from the wind at all. There is a harbor, but that's pretty much commercial (or was then). The long range fishing boats (Andrea Lynn, Tony Reyes, etc.) are docked and launch from there.

There is a small malecon with shops. A few decent restaurants. You can charter pangas off the malecon to take you fishing for cheap. They usually go out a few miles and fish an old shrimp boat wreck. We caught some large corvina and small sharks. On our own boat, we went out to Consag Rock fishing one day, didn't have very good luck, but it was a beautiful day on the water.

It's 75 miles directly across the water from Penasco, but I know of no ferry or boats that make the trip between the two. It's a lot longer of a drive from the Phoenix area than you imagine, virtually all day. We went across I-8 to Mexicali and crossed there, although I think you can cross at Yuma/San Luis as well. From Penasco, you could check out the new toll road to get over that way. The road on the Baja side through the old Colorado delta area (now just miles of salt flats) is pretty treacherous. One lane each way, no shoulders or pull-offs, steep 10-12 ft. drop to the salt flats below on either side. Maybe the road is better now, hard to know, I haven't been back since 1998.

Overall, it is much smaller and quieter than Penasco. There is a fair-sized resident American population. Like I said, all depends on what you're looking for as to whether or not you'll enjoy it. We did it one trip as a start for a 3 week beach camping trip down Baja. Started in San Felipe for a couple days, then took the road south through Puertocitos to Gonzaga Bay. The *REAL* Baja! Not a trip for the faint of heart by any means. Physically, Gonzaga is only 75 miles south of San Felipe. Plan on the trip to get there taking a minimum of 6-8 hours. Rugged road, lots of switchbacks, steep snakepaths along the edge of mountains with drop-offs into canyons below, washboard that will vibrate the fillings out of your teeth and rupture your kidneys. But absolutely beautiful as you drive down past the Enchanted Islands. This is one of the most remote and least inhabited areas of Baja. You even get to see some real boojum trees! When you finally get to Alphonsinas in Gonzaga, you know you've made the trip of a lifetime.

B

bahiatrader

We made that trip one time. Definitely remote and scenic. Once in a lifetime was good enough for me.

Eric

If you decide to go just fyi....March 9-14 in San Felipe will be the San Felipe 250 desert race( Baja 250 )...this race preceeds the baja 500 & baja 1000....Just fyi every hotel anywhere near there will be booked on those days.....Total blast if your into desert racing....many million dollar trophy trucks doing 120mph across the desert w/ apx 30 helicopters airborne filming them...

One thing nice about San Felipe is it has some really cool big sand dunes rolling into ocean for miles....but they are right it is not as nice as RP.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I was there about 20 years ago in July.:eek3: Thank God the campground had electricity. Even with a fan, the tent was almost unbearable! And that was with the tent windows open and the door clear open, no screen! I finally went outside to sleep with the fan oscillating on me! The malecon was fun and I don't remember any sewage smell. I wouldn't move there tho, because it's too long a trip for a weekend. It took me over 8 hours to get there and I'm known for "puttin' the car down the road!" The road over the salt flats is dramatic...no looking for a CD or lighting a cigarette! It may be better now but I really remember that road! If I lived in Yuma or something........

B

bahiatrader

trees 2.jpg Here's some of those strange Boojum trees Suart spoke of. Baja California is the only place they grow wild.

Cabo

Spanish Mackerrel
Bahia, Cool tree, the Flinstones tree does exists, and only in Baja.

Stuart, thanks, great play by play of a field trip. mmmm, do not think I would like camping on the beach and definitely not a day trip from RP.

Eric, desert races are not my cup of tea. Dust is not the reason I love the Sea. I was at RP (innsuites) when there races where on, they ran by the tracks by the RRoad and it happened that Innsuites was a big hangout and base for many. All the cars where covered with a dust a powder so fine that somehow it seeped into the car... and the windows where shut!!! I have trouble breathing already, so watching dust storms go by are not for me.

Siting by the tracks eating hotdogs and drinks watching the dust,... I do not get it, but it is big in Baja. I like to take my time ans smell and look at the flowers, not zoom by and make it a blur. I need the salty air.

Thanks for the feedback, for my style, San Felipe is a .... ... .. . -----> Nay.

But as everything, to each its own.

S

savilrg

A good link to find out about San Felipe is www.sanfelipe.com.mx Lots of good information.

My wife & I have been here for a month - first trip to Mexico - great weather, but a little too 3rd world

Looking for good info about Rocky Point for a trip in July - August. Weather looks good, but don't know what the area is like

Bob

InkaRoads

cronopiador
....Looking for good info about Rocky Point for a trip in July - August. Weather looks good.......Bob
Welcome Bob, if you really want to enjoy the northern area of the Sea of Cortez, you want to avoid coming during the last weeks of July and August, it get hot as the sonora desert gets and also increase on humidity due to monsoon activity makes the hole expereince not very enjoyable, I suggest pack it up around March 26th, head north to San Luis connect to the new road from El Golfo de Santa Clara to Rocky Point and come enjoy, even better, if you don't mind college kids and Spring Break, from Mar 12 thru 23, I say don't waste anytime and come right away!!