Saturday - 10/10

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Fishing roll call, who's gonna be out there? Buoyweather is currently showing flat and the tide is good as well. Time for a trip to the 51!

Shawno

Hi Stuart, Dan - If the weather holds, we will be out fishing both Friday and Saturday. I'm taking my uncle and cousin out on Friday and will fish with Art Pina on Saturday. Good luck to both of you.

B

bwitry

Fishing on 10.10.09 . . .

I am considering going for Grouper on Saturday, but I have to see if the Honey-Do list get too long. If not, I will be stuck at Saguaro.

fishaholic

Jeff "Just Hammered"
Hi Stuart, Here is a update from our fishing last week. We went out to the far reefs.
Also a hello to Shawn and Art, Welcome back Shawn!! Got your email and pics from your trip a few weeks ago. Awesome!!! Went out last week just me and my friend Mike, Jesse was tied up at home. Ended up doing OK on Friday, 2 nice Sardineros, 4 Halis, Broke off something big, lost a few on the pull, a big Hali 30+ shook hook at the boat and took off (That Hurt!), and lost 1 to a seal (he came up to say hi after he mauled our fish, wish I had a potato launcher)..Just one of those days. Wish we had more people on the boat when the bite was on! The bite turned off fast, right after high tide. Tides were tough. Winds picked up Sat, we fished the close reefs hard and just caught triggs and spotted, no big bites at all. It NUKED on Sunday and you would be a complete lunatic if you were out there! Wish I could be down there this weekend, tides look good. I will be thinking about you guys while I'm at the Cardinals game with Jesse rooting for them to beat the Texans (I'm Praying). You know where I'd rather be!

Good luck to you All!!!
Jeff

Shawno

Hey Jeff!

Jeff - I was in MX last weekend getting some things done at our condo and heard about your good day on Friday. You were out fishing on Saturday when I stopped by the marina. Thanks for the report. Sorry the grouper weren't hungry.

Ric Felder and I thought about going out on Sunday, but figured the WINDY forecast would be right ... and it was. I've given up trying to fish the deepwater reefs during the full or new moon. It's just too hard to stay on the bottom. I've plotted the quarter moons on my calendar for the next few years and hope to get out if the wind is right. This weekend should be special if the bite stays hot. Can't wait! I'll send a report/photos early next week.

Go Cardinals! Go Vikes! Go Twins!

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Good seeing everybody this weekend! It sure was beautiful! Great temps, flat water, a fisherman's dream.

Grouper are still around on the closer reefs - we went 0 for 5 on big grouper hits, the kind that bring you right to the rail. All of them broke off. Even the 250 lb. PowerPro line I was fishing. I've never seen that break, but apparently it does! We thought we had one for sure and were working him up when he took another run and snapped the 80 lb. Spectra main line. The killer bait of choice was again live bonefish. Didn't get a bump on the small sandbass at all. We were also fortunate to make some live macks in the morning while catching the bonefish.

Further out near the Witch's Hat, we tried a new mark that's nearby. Sharks, sharks, and more sharks. One on every drop. Juvenile blacktip reef sharks in the 10-15 lb. range and there seemed to be no end to them. We kept two and released over 20 of them. Finally got tired of untangling them out of the deep-drop rigs and our lines!

Also saw large pod of finback whales on the way back in, so they're out there now, too.

Everyone else seemed to do okay - I saw halibut, yellowtail, grouper, pinto, dorado, and other assorted catches at the cleaning table when we got back in.

Just another wonderful day on the beautiful Sea of Cortez!

dmcauley

What a great day on the deeper reefs. 3 good sized flounder, several peanut dorado, lots of rabbit fish, 9 good size corvina, and a number of gold spots. This kept 3 of us pretty busy all day fishing with iron and squid. Caught fish on every drift and a couple of times I had double hook ups. Our fish filet guy said he was working until one a.m. to get all the fish fileted. Great day and great comaraderie on the water.
As to limits, we sportsman do not even make a dent in the ocean and we leave lots of money behind for the community. There is absolutely no sense in throwing back dead fish. We caught 48 fish in one day for three guys, which is only a small percentage of the bi-catch is of every shrimp boat single drop.