Scuba Accident

jerry

Rocky Point Press Release
Yesterday at 2:02pm ·
A male US citizen was found on shore of section 7 of Las Conchas beaches, his body was found around 1:00pm today. It appears he was diving alone and that it was all a fatal diving accident. The local authorities are investigating further.

More information will be released further.

Foto credits: Periodico De Frente
Diving alone,climbing alone,caving or mine exploring alone....hell even hiking alone is asking for trouble but most of us just have so little free time we end up breaking all these rules....

rplarry

Diving alone,climbing alone,caving or mine exploring alone....hell even hiking alone is asking for trouble but most of us just have so little free time we end up breaking all these rules....
Great point and totally agree Jerry.

Interesting new study on life expectancy was in the news today.

The new median age is 79, with women living 4.5 years longer than men. And, we've all heard the tired jokes about why that is...

But this study hypothesizes that men drive faster, take more risks, and don't judge danger the same way women do.

So, to Jerry's point...

Sad to hear someone just enjoying the beach, and diving in a pretty "easy" and benign diving area would succumb in that area.

It will be interesting when they find the cause of death, and release age, etc. Wondering if he had a heart attack. It was a "Monday" after-all, and you know what they say about Monday's and heart attacks.

Prayers out to his family.

Roberto

There were two gents, prolly in their 60's. Rented a casa in Unconscious. Full scuba gear, both had certification. They were tobether just off the beach near the guard shack. Water barely neck high. A neighbor heard screaming and went out. One man was dragging the other toward the beach, several people ran into the sea and there in the water attempted CPR. Neighbor reported the gent was blue at this point. Ambulance arrived but apparently far too late to do anything. Best guess is a massive heart attack. Apparently the guy was a smoker. This info from the neighbor who was in the water with them.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
This is my cardinal sin. Try being handicap and doing this shit solo. Drive down to Jerry's SOLO. Drive down to Lobos SOLO. If I didn't though, I'd never leave my house. I guess the only option some of us have these days. Guess Im getting old... jaja

jerry

This is my cardinal sin. Try being handicap and doing this shit solo. Drive down to Jerry's SOLO. Drive down to Lobos SOLO. If I didn't though, I'd never leave my house. I guess the only option some of us have these days. Guess Im getting old... jaja
On my Pretty steep pitch metal barn roof last week without a lanyard I was sliding fast on a slick patch for the edge and 15 feet fall to rocks and cactus when my compressor hose stopped my fall....last ski run,little jobs you don't need your safety glasses etc. for....the stuff that gets a guy!

I know I also do some things I should not. I go out alone on my inflatable pontoon a mile or so and on my jetski 10 miles or so.
I have a good marine radio that I can mount in our 5th wheel and Edna is almost always home when I go out. It has a tall antena. I can get a good waterproof hand to take out with me.
After all of the medical stuff I have gon through this last month I now think it to be a mandatoiry to be able to communicate with some one.

Ok, here's the REAL Deal:
That was me and my buddy Jim. He was 44 years old, from Rifle, Colorado and recently certified in SCUBA diving. He was not diving alone, I was right next to him. He did not have a heart attack or anything else wrong and he was a non-smoker.
He made a series of beginner mistakes; first and foremost he did not keep an eye on his gauges and allowed himself to run out of air. Second, he did not go for my octo as he was trained to do in the event of an out of air emergency. Third, instead of ditching his weights and floating to the surface, he panicked and tried getting all his equipment off and didn't get it done in time. By the time I realized he was no longer next to me (30 sec-1 min) I surfaced immediately and found him floating about 20 feet away. I swam him to shore and started CPR, the neighbor lady did come down and help(Forever Grateful) until the ambulance arrived; but by then it was too late.
After everything was all over I went back in to find his gear, it was sitting on the bottom in 6 feet of water......he could have just stood up and been ok.

Last edited:

garyd

Ok, here's the REAL Deal:
That was me and my buddy Jim. He was 44 years old, from Rifle, Colorado and recently certified in SCUBA diving. He was not diving alone, I was right next to him. He did not have a heart attack or anything else wrong and he was a non-smoker.
He made a series of beginner mistakes; first and foremost he did not keep an eye on his gauges and allowed himself to run out of air. Second, he did not go for my octo as he was trained to do in the event of an out of air emergency. Third, instead of ditching his weights and floating to the surface, he panicked and tried getting all his equipment off and didn't get it done in time. By the time I realized he was not next to me anymore(30 sec-1 min) I surfaced immediately and found him floating about 20 feet away. I swam him to shore and started CPR, the neighbor lady did come down and help(Forever Grateful) until the ambulance arrived; but by then it was too late.
After everything was all over I went back in to find his gear, it was sitting on the bottom in 6 feet of water......he could have just stood up and been ok.
So sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. My prayers and thoughts are with you and Jim.

Yes Jerry, let's get a bit of humor injected here. It seems that you have a great deal of class, unfortunately, it's all 3rd

jerry

Yes Jerry, let's get a bit of humor injected here. It seems that you have a great deal of class, unfortunately, it's all 3rd
Screw you conserved...someone repeated that bullshit line "when it's your time" When In Fact.....if that guy would have have a Scuba teacher worth a damn he would not have passed the course.... this was an avoidable event and my advice in this thread before his poor friend wrote in is to be careful,prepared and aware of your abilities. we stand a better chance of survival with my advice than high school fatalistic mysticism " when it's your time" nonsense.

Screw you conserved...someone repeated that bullshit line "when it's your time" When In Fact.....if that guy would have have a Scuba teacher worth a damn he would not have passed the course.... this was an avoidable event and my advice in this thread before his poor friend wrote in is to be careful,prepared and aware of your abilities. we stand a better chance of survival with my advice than high school fatalistic mysticism " when it's your time" nonsense.

You do appear to be all-knowing. You seem to reinforce my opinion of 3rd class with the 'screw you' comment, thank you for confirming.
Are you a certified diver as well?

jerry

You do appear to be all-knowing. You seem to reinforce my opinion of 3rd class with the 'screw you' comment, thank you for confirming.
Are you a certified diver as well?
No a person that knows my strenghts and limitations.....you seem to be another mystery person with an axe to grind....do you guys have a club with secret hand signs?