Scuba Accident

Ok, here's the REAL Deal:
That was me and my buddy Jim. He was 44 years old, from Rifle, Colorado and recently certified in SCUBA diving. He was not diving alone, I was right next to him. He did not have a heart attack or anything else wrong and he was a non-smoker.
He made a series of beginner mistakes; first and foremost he did not keep an eye on his gauges and allowed himself to run out of air. Second, he did not go for my octo as he was trained to do in the event of an out of air emergency. Third, instead of ditching his weights and floating to the surface, he panicked and tried getting all his equipment off and didn't get it done in time. By the time I realized he was no longer next to me (30 sec-1 min) I surfaced immediately and found him floating about 20 feet away. I swam him to shore and started CPR, the neighbor lady did come down and help(Forever Grateful) until the ambulance arrived; but by then it was too late.
After everything was all over I went back in to find his gear, it was sitting on the bottom in 6 feet of water......he could have just stood up and been ok.
As a certified diver I appreciate how fun, yet demanding of attention, diving can be -- especially in the learning stages. Sometimes panic overtakes the senses and stuff happens. Sorry for your loss.

No a person that knows my strenghts and limitations.....you seem to be another mystery person with an axe to grind....do you guys have a club with secret hand signs?
I am in no way in cahoots with concerned! Sure like to know how Rosey saved him from that messed up R/E Deal!

az-dan

First I'm very sorry that you had to be involved in that very unfortunate death. You are probably replaying all of the different scenarios that you could have done that may have made a difference but you need to understand it's not your fault. Jerry how could you without knowing anything blame his Instructor? We are human we make mistakes, we take risk sometimes we get hurt and sometimes we die. Like may other sports scuba diving is a risk, training and practice make you better and more prepared for stressors that can happen under the water. I am a diver, I am also an Instructor, I am also a Technical Diver and do dives beyond (risk) what most divers do. There is always risk and who is responsible for that risk is you and only you. This is what is on the bottom of my emails:
Remember, underwater only YOU are responsible for YOUR own safety. Nobody else is.

jerry

First I'm very sorry that you had to be involved in that very unfortunate death. You are probably replaying all of the different scenarios that you could have done that may have made a difference but you need to understand it's not your fault. Jerry how could you without knowing anything blame his Instructor? We are human we make mistakes, we take risk sometimes we get hurt and sometimes we die. Like may other sports scuba diving is a risk, training and practice make you better and more prepared for stressors that can happen under the water. I am a diver, I am also an Instructor, I am also a Technical Diver and do dives beyond (risk) what most divers do. There is always risk and who is responsible for that risk is you and only you. This is what is on the bottom of my emails:
Remember, underwater only YOU are responsible for YOUR own safety. Nobody else is.
My point is bad things happen all the time for no reason but more often when we are not prepared,in your element and in a hurry.I do believe the pressure on instructors to certify fast has increased.Hell on cruise ships they give you a stinking three hour course and you are good to go....surprisingly stuff then happens.....a diver friend in the gold dredging business likes to see a new diver under stress before he feals comfortable with him or her on the job.....what he told me is instructors take a bit of a gentler approach these days.If that is not true in most cases I am sorry. I just don't like blaming the dead person either...heck maybe it was bad equipment...maybe he had a stroke....maybe just maybe his instructor was pressured to move them through quick and get the check....

jerry

I am in no way in cahoots with concerned! Sure like to know how Rosey saved him from that messed up R/E Deal!
alacrane at the end of the housing bubble Rosy kept a friend from investing in Riviera Real ( as I remember) when other agents were still playing the suckers.Would have been 6k in her pocket....good person...

alacrane at the end of the housing bubble Rosy kept a friend from investing in Riviera Real ( as I remember) when other agents were still playing the suckers.Would have been 6k in her pocket....good person...
That's good to know....

I'm not so sure I helped, really. I tried to be kind and listen with an open mind, may have made some suggestions, etc. I never knew until now how it all turned out.

az-dan

My point is bad things happen all the time for no reason but more often when we are not prepared,in your element and in a hurry.I do believe the pressure on instructors to certify fast has increased.Hell on cruise ships they give you a stinking three hour course and you are good to go....surprisingly stuff then happens.....a diver friend in the gold dredging business likes to see a new diver under stress before he feals comfortable with him or her on the job.....what he told me is instructors take a bit of a gentler approach these days.If that is not true in most cases I am sorry. I just don't like blaming the dead person either...heck maybe it was bad equipment...maybe he had a stroke....maybe just maybe his instructor was pressured to move them through quick and get the check....
To correct a few things:
  1. There is no place I know that you can take a 3 hour class and you are good to go. You can take a Discover Scuba class which is about 3 hours and go on a short dive with an Instructor who has direct supervision over you and no deeper than 40’.
  2. I agree with the gentler approach comment I was certified in 1973 it was harder then but I can tell you it is a hell of a lot safer to dive with today’s equipment than what we had and knew back then. Each Instructor must certify that the student was able to pass each of the basic requirements of that class which most are stressors i.e. mask floods, lost regulator recovery’s, out of air situations and emergency assents. Any issue underwater adds stress and in some cases panic and we all react to them differently.
  3. We are discussing recreational diving. Doing any kind of work underwater is Commercial Diving and requires special training for that certification.
FYI, the most frequently cited root cause of deaths while scuba diving is insufficient gas or running out of gas. Other common factors included entrapment or entanglement, buoyancy control, equipment misuse or problems and rough water. Emergency ascent was also common. The principal injuries or causes of death included drowning or asphyxia due to inhalation of water, air embolism and cardiac events. Older divers were at greater risk of cardiac events, with men at higher risk than women, although the risks were equal at age 65

jerry

Dan people dodge the discover requirements all the time...two instructors to 12 divers happened in a recent death on a Belize cruise ship "shore" trip.

az-dan

Dan people dodge the discover requirements all the time...two instructors to 12 divers happened in a recent death on a Belize cruise ship "shore" trip.
As with anything there are good and there are bad Instructors. As Instructors we are a self policing organization and we are held accountable to the organization our certifications are through. Can you send me the link to what you are referring too?

AZRob

someone repeated that bullshit line "when it's your time" When In Fact.....if that guy would have have a Scuba teacher worth a damn he would not have passed the course.... this was an avoidable event and my advice in this thread before his poor friend wrote in is to be careful,prepared and aware of your abilities. we stand a better chance of survival with my advice than high school fatalistic mysticism " when it's your time" nonsense.
I hope your not talking about me.

PS Im a certified diver to.

rplarry

jerry said:

someone repeated that bullshit line "when it's your time" When In Fact.....if that guy would have have a Scuba teacher worth a damn he would not have passed the course.... this was an avoidable event and my advice in this thread before his poor friend wrote in is to be careful,prepared and aware of your abilities. we stand a better chance of survival with my advice than high school fatalistic mysticism " when it's your time" nonsense.

AZRob replied:

I hope your not talking about me.

PS Im a certified diver to.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think both your points are well taken.

Jerry is basically saying, be prepared, bring a buddy, cover all contingencies as much as you can, question who is certifying you as a diver, be smart, plan in advance, don't be a dumbass (which I do not believe the guy who drowned was, it was a tragic accident), etc, etc.

AZRob is basically saying... to the dipsh*t texting and driving through the Organ Pipe National Forest, who crosses the line and wipes you out.... well then, that was your time to go. Or, a plane crash, or anything else out of your control, then yes, that is your time to go.

Fine line however between being a Monday morning QB in the preparedness world, and also being a fatalist that "if it's your time".

Balance is the key.

Don't live in fear, but don't treat life like it's a toy either.

Amen.

jerry

Larry defends and helpfully interprets my slightly awkward comments.....I am buying a lottery ticket because this is my lucky day... rob I was talking about your comment....I am sure you meant what Larry said so sorry in hind sight ..

Last edited:
I find that a lot of people get them selves in trouble because they don't want to drop a 50 dollar weight belt. I have dropped my weight belt a couple of times and it was always been a good decision. I have been diving sense the 70's.

Roberto

Seems to me this is a freak and regretable tragedy. There is just no substitute for experience. Training yes but has to be built with experience. We have all done stupid stuff, in a variety or venues. (I am not suggesting that anything stupid was done in this incident.) Well at least I have ! I think Jerry has too but prolly GV never did !!

I have scuba dived on three occasions. Both in 1963 using state of the art equipment owned by a friend who's dad was a Doc. First was in their swimming pool, instructed by my friend. After this one hour success the next occasion was in a flooded quarry. My buddy Butch had somehow gotten two military surplus 'Dry Suits', apparently used to dive in cold conditions. We suited up over whatever warm stuff we had, chopped a hole in the ice, since it was winter, and dove. Fortunately, or unfortunately, we apparently did not have a seal required to connect the top and bottom of the suits and they leaked. Result was we did not stay in the water long or go very deep. I did not get too far from the hole in the ice. I still recall seeing tiny fresh water jelly fish in the clear water. Third occasion we threw the equipment behind the seats of my 1955 Truimph, TR2 and headed down to Cape Hatteras NC to dive on one of the many sunken ships there. Fortune shined on us again as shortly after suiting up and getting into the water a large storm blew in and we abandoned the dive. Clearly, two of these occasions were headed for disaster. There but for fortune.....

jerry

65 year old american died at San Jorge Isla ( Bird Island) recently while snorkeling.....those currents can get tricky out there

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
65 year old american died at San Jorge Isla ( Bird Island) recently while snorkeling.....those currents can get tricky out there
Hadn't heard this. The currents around the island, especially on the outside northern edge (near the Widowmakers) are wicked as the tide changes. Once you get around the backside of the island (towards the mainland), the currents are tame and the water is settled and clearer, although the snorkeling is not as good. I've snorkeled around the backside many times, and once in a protected little cove near the north end on the outside, but generally never go in the water on the outside of the island.

Plus, as I've said in the past, there are great whites around the island and I don't want to be mistaken for a sea lion Scooby snack!

He needs to rember the old saying that states If you don't have anything nice to say just shut up and don't be an ass hole.
Statemnents totally unjustified. May be "Happy' ?