Sea Turtles in Playa Encanto

Terry C

This is about the fourth hatching in a year or so. Two houses down from us. There were 25 eggs that hatched and CEDO came down to pick them up to monitor them for a couple of months and then release them. My understanding is it has been 20 years or so that this has been seen in Encanto. Hope you enjoy the pics.

Attachments

InkaRoads

cronopiador
That is great!!!, another sign that life is coming back to the Sea of Cortez, another reason why the local government should be more carefull on which areas should use for development!!

Mentiras y Traición

Sonoran Goddess
That is one of the coolest things I have ever seen! How awesome to see it in person. One time, long ago, Linda and I found a baby octopus in the rocks and we dug a hole for it so we could watch it.

Linda said "watch out for its testicles, they can spray ink on you"!!!!

Then some people came and wanted to buy it for their supper, so we put it back in the deep water. Didn't have any problems with its testicles.:lol::lol:

cheatka

That is sooo cool, did anyone know the nest was there? Is it in the same place each time? Do they know why a turtle started again? Thanks for the pics

Terry C

This nest went un noticed by all. The guards seen it early Saturday morning. This is the second time in the same spot. Others were different places. My understanding is they drop three nests and only one nest has the real eggs in them. I don't know why they have returned now. I hope they keep coming, it is an awesome sight to see. I will have some more pics posted on my Playa Encanto web site sometime today.

How exciting to see the little turtles and to know there is succesful nestings happening!!
Thanks for posting the pictures.

cheatka

I love it, that is sooo cool. I have a house in prescott and in the summer pallid bats set up a maternity roost in my porch block posts and its so neat when they come out in the evening and swoop thru the front porch over our heads. I Love the wildlife.

It is so amazing that these tiny fragile creatures make it with all of the problems they incure. Wonderful that CEDO is helping. Also my thanks to all of you that help protect them.

For most sea turtle species, it takes 1000 eggs to have one adult sea turtle. That is why they are critically endangered! Hoping all that can be done to protect them, is being done! Amazing critters!

jerry

Saw a huge dead one on the beach today...no sign of injury or butchery.Kill a Turtle in Mexico you get 2 years in jail for every kilo of meat.It was cool to see a bunch of live ones on Guardia Isla

Last edited: