September Nights

Blanco Pescado

We are stayng in a place with no AC on September 13th and 14th and was wondering if it is tolerable or just nasty with fans only...Playa Dorada area. Forecast is High 90s in the day and low 80s at night with humidity about 50%. Sea temps about 88 degrees. Are we crazy?

Please Advise.

Roberto

Well Known Member
We are stayng in a place with no AC on September 13th and 14th and was wondering if it is tolerable or just nasty with fans only...Playa Dorada area. Forecast is High 90s in the day and low 80s at night with humidity about 50%. Sea temps about 88 degrees. Are we crazy?

Please Advise.
Hard to predict. Has been cooler in the evenings lately. if you can get a good sea breeze you should be ok

Queen of Kings

Well Known Member

Please Advise.
If you have a few decent fans you will be just fine.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
During the day it's tolerable, some wind, shade and going into the ocean make it OK.

But it's going to be pretty warm when you try to sleep. The humidity is going rise into the 60-70% range at night.
So with temps close to 90 before midnight cooling off to 80 only before dawn you'll still be dealing with 85+ temps
and dew points over 70 degrees for most of your sleep time. Not my idea of fun, even with a fan.

I've done it numerous times, years ago. A generator running all night with fans blowing. Now A/C is a must for us.

Southbeacher

Well Known Member
Generally daytime heat plus humidity in the area is oppressive (for those of us acclimated to AC) throughout September. Water's edge in the AMs and afternoons is breezier than up on the dunes . . . nights might be marginally bearable with lots of fans. Hope for cloud cover. I generally consider mid October to be the turning point, where days cool off and are bearable without AC.

Last edited:

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Crazy. You NEED AC. We fished one year (recently) 3rd week of Sept. Water temps 40 miles out in 90's. Spent the whole day in the water hanging off the back of the boat because it was so brutal hot.

I wouldn't consider what you're suggesting until late October, at best.

MIRAMAR

Well Known Member
It was cooler than 2 weeks ago, but still warm. Before AC in Miramar, we used to have to take a shower in our PJs before going to bed and jump in still wet . That was the only way to get to sleep, and you may want to sleep outside to get a breeze.

Last edited:

Landshark

Well Known Member
It was cooler than 2 weeks ago, but still warm. Before AC in Miramar, we used to have to take a shower before going to bed and jump in still wet . That was the only way to get to sleep, and you may want to sleep outside to get a breeze.
I remember the early days before electricity came to Encanto. Hot as hell, no AC, put the fan on high and go to bed. Laying on your back and getting blasted with air was enough to get you to sleep, then you would wake up with your “other side” soaking wet with sweat, roll over and go back to sleep, wake up, same story, repeat. Never again.

Roberto

Well Known Member
Last night with a nice breeze blowing in I could have slept on the beach side deck. When I grew up we were a camping family. Tent camping in a canvas wall tent, all 5 of us. Yes in the summer. From Cape Cod to Hatteras to Florida. Living in the Appalachians we like to head to the beach and survived the sometimes brutal humidity and temps and having a great time. Between then and now of course AC has become a necessity and I don't know what happened to the old wall tent !!

brokenwave

Well Known Member
I remember the early days before electricity came to Encanto. Hot as hell, no AC, put the fan on high and go to bed. Laying on your back and getting blasted with air was enough to get you to sleep, then you would wake up with your “other side” soaking wet with sweat, roll over and go back to sleep, wake up, same story, repeat. Never again.
Many times before electric came into Cholla in the late 90's and camping on Sandy beach,
the only way to get to sleep in June-Oct was to drink a lot of beer and pray the generator didn't run out of gas at 5am.

Landshark

Well Known Member
I remember camping on sandy beach in the early 90’s in a tent, probably the one Roberto is looking for lol. We drank beer and everything else
we could find, didn’t even know it was hot. Going to sleep was the least of our problems, waking up was the biggest issue, man what a hangover. Of course the only solution was start drinking again, we had it all figured out! The good ole days...kinda. Glad I came to my senses, now a couple beers and I’m good. And the A/C puts me right to sleep!

Blanco Pescado

Thank you all for the wisdom and advice acquired through experience. :) We ended up going down and it was bearable as long as we were in and out of the water. Very few people on the beach which made it kind of nice. Went in to town to get shrimp at the Fish Market and eat at the Satisfied Frog on Firday the 13th for our anniversary. Sleeping was brutal even after the cold shower and fans blasting. Got to sleep about 3 AM and was good to about 8 AM. Still loved it.