sharks

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Getting close to RP only 93 miles away. I saw a GW shark tracking map over a 3 year period and they do visit the northern Sea of Cortes regularly. Further south below San Carlos lot's of visits.
Always remember when you are swimming in the ocean you can become part of the food chain.
ScreenShot_20170607121919.jpg

AZRob

Well Known Member
With all the beach closing on the East and West coast, I was thinking they should be coming from the South next. If they went that north they must be hanging around mid way also. Cant figure out whats triggering this strange pattern.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
They've always been there, don't fool yourself. We hooked into a great white years ago fishing from a panga at Bird Island. Not as big as the one in Puertocitos video, but still pretty respectable size.

AZRob

Well Known Member
They've always been there, don't fool yourself. We hooked into a great white years ago fishing from a panga at Bird Island. Not as big as the one in Puertocitos video, but still pretty respectable size.
I think we are aware they are in the waters, the question is why they are coming so close to the shores when in most cases there is no pray they are use to hunting.:shark:

I should of been more clear in my earlier post.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
2 years ago we saw a large shark, 10-12 feet long thrashing in the water in front of my place in Cholla, seemed to be in a school of fish, wished I had my camera with me

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
I think we are aware they are in the waters, the question is why they are coming so close to the shores when in most cases there is no pray they are use to hunting.:shark:

I should of been more clear in my earlier post.
Opportunistic feeders. They will indeed follow a bait school into the shallows as Brokenwave mentioned. Off the coast of South Africa, there is an island where they will come right up from the shallows and snatch baby sea lions. The "flying sharks" if you will, who are the only ones that exhibit this kind of behavior in the world.

Also, if you consider most attacks by great whites (or even tiger sharks) on surfers or swimmers in Cali or Hawaii, they almost always happen in relatively shallow water, often just where the waves are breaking. Same is true with bull sharks along Florida and the Gulf coast. Attacks generally happen in water no more than waist deep. But, the water there is pretty murky most of the time and the sharks are relying more on their senses than on sight to hone in on vibrations in the water.

The Puertocitos one was pretty badly injured. Had a bad prop cut along his dorsal fin and that is very likely why he was in the shallows.

ernesto

Well Known Member
I was sailing my hobie 50 yards off the beach in LC saturday and saw a 2 foot juvenile hammerhead cruising the surface, looked really healthy. Never seen one in that close.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Have seen little hammers fishing north of Cholla. They cruise right on up to the boat. Have never seen one fishing further south for whatever odd reason. Only makos.