Shorefishing first weekend of June

ckyevanjay

Well Known Member
Ill be down with a large group in LC from the 6th to the 11th. I will be shore fishing as usual and hoping for the best. Will get the kayaks out as well and fish.

Best of luck to all cant wait to get down there!

jmcdtucson

Well Known Member
We'll be down then too, at Play Encanto. If you see a yellow kayak fishing the Morua estuary, that's me.

ckyevanjay

Well Known Member
I haven't fished out on a boat in years. Went out with Hammer once and had a blast but not sure hes around anymore so cant recommend anyone specifically.

Ill keep an eye out for the yellow yak over there if i make the trip to the estuary.

Kenny

Well Known Member
Catching all types of fish from shore last few days. Sting rays, flounder, corvina, sargo, and trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Around the second week of June has always been a very good time for shore fishing and having fun trying new stuff.

ckyevanjay

Well Known Member
Been crushing em on a 1oz sumo dragonfly lure blue/silver. Squid and rock bass as bait working as always. Here till wed and looks like we are seeing some real tides for once since Thursday.

ckyevanjay

Well Known Member
Just killed the AM tide as it came in. Millions of baitfish moving through. Leatherjacks crashing my lure and jumping out of the water, corvina left and right and lots of little trigger. Fishing is epic right now. Will kayak the next tide. Have everything on GoPro.

jmcdtucson

Well Known Member
Caught plenty of Corvina from the yak Sunday evening. There were 50 yard long rivers of baitfish near shore and birds and Corvina feasting. Only problem was by the time I'd get one fish landed and unhooked, I'd be sucked into the breaking surf and end up having to land and re-launch.
Unfortunately, the gill-netters were working all of Playa Encanto with what appeared to be about a 2 mile long net. That's got to be hurting the fish population there. I've seen Corvina in Sprouts here in Tucson lately.

Ed B

Small Potatoes
Caught about 8 of these on Sunday trolling 20-25ft deep in front of Cholla Bay. Water was a bit rough out front with winds from the south but it was worth it. Headed into the calm waters of the bay and JJ's to listen to the bands after that. Great day of fishing and music.

Attachments

ckyevanjay

Well Known Member
Going to give it one last go today before I head home early tomorrow am. Kayaking yesterday yielded very little and ended up catching better fish from shore casting into the bait balls moving through. Good to hear you guys are reelin em in as well!!!!

jmcdtucson

Well Known Member
Caught about 8 of these on Sunday trolling 20-25ft deep in front of Cholla Bay. Water was a bit rough out front with winds from the south but it was worth it. Headed into the calm waters of the bay and JJ's to listen to the bands after that. Great day of fishing and music.
Grouper? I'd love to get into a bunch of those some time. The only one I caught was on a Rapala lure. Same thing, trolling in about 20-25 feet of water.

AZRob

Well Known Member
The water looks alittle rough and green, was the wind blowing inshore? Were you catching them on the blue water line? Still good catch!

ckyevanjay

Well Known Member
Depending on the time of day but for the most part we saw northerly winds. I normally do a bit better in rougher water but nothing too crazy. The greener water you see is from an incoming AM tide stirring up all that sand. I was wading in and fishing that tide and it was on fire. Monday the wind picked up and Tuesday it was worse. Barely fished either of those days. The blue water line I didn't really pay attention to. I fished in a kayak one morning and the action was pretty poor and i was out in the blue water a good 400 feet out. Good chance I wasn't getting my lure deep enough and bottom fishing with bait would have been more productive.

AZRob

Well Known Member
I was think of doing bottom fishing when we come down. I picked up some pompano rig's I'm going to try.

You using 20lb test, thats what it looks like in the pic. Last time I was breaking off on the sea weed. It was bad!

Last edited:

ckyevanjay

Well Known Member
12lb mono on a Penn Sargus 4000 with a 7Ft offshore angler 2 piece rod. Not a single break off and was bending treble hooks on my lure before breaking off.