So just how safe is Mexico? A new website trys to sort it out!

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
WEBSITE

"Mexico is huge, ranking 14th in the world, and spanning over 2,000 miles from end to end. Mexico is a nation of 31 states as diverse as those in the U.S. and is larger than the states from Texas to Maine. Canceling a vacation to Mexico because of isolated border violence would be like canceling a vacation to Orlando because of the Boston Bombings. People didn't cancel trips to Dallas or New Orleans in the aftermath of mass shootings in Arizona, Colorado or Connecticut, because they simply aren't related. Yet Dallas and New Orleans are closer to border violence than many of Mexico's peaceful tourist areas." (How Safe is Mexico? Understanding the Facts - How Safe Is Mexico)

jerry

So we are in the risky part of Mexico .....tell that to the Navy Admiral gunned down 2 weeks ago near PV

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
This report was to show that perception needs to be adjusted.
Changing perception is not easy, especially after the media has done nothing but blast Mexico in so many different ways over the past few years. WE know things are relatively safe. However, you'd be surprised how many times I still hear "Mexico? I'd NEVER go; it's not safe!" from folks I happen to talk with. Their loss and I'll be damned if I'm going to run out of breath trying to convince them that it IS safe. They've already made up their closed minds.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
When we did trade shows years ago we fought about the safety thing. We stopped that waste of breathe last year and only spoke about the positives going on.

There are 3 types of tourist out there.

1. Those that love Mexico because they are travelers and realize that things happen everywhere and they are not led astray by those Gov warnings, these people we do not need to convince, we just give them great deals.

2. Those that want to adventure out there and try something new, or revisit dreams of the past like deep sea fishing in the sea of Cortes, but because of the hype and hoopla put out there by their Gov, they are sitting on the fence and unsure. These are people we market to. Successfully too I might add.

3. Then there's those darn keyboard warriors that don't have passports anyway, because they are too expensive, they don't care about traveling outside of their area code. When they hear the media hype they drink it up because it supports their lazy way of life. Then they spend as much time on the internet shouting their vitriolic rhetoric that they heard 2nd or 3rd hand because it empowers them. They are the same ones complaining about issues that make them feel a part of something that may not even concern them, ever. They will n ever cross the border anywhere. We don't waste a dime on these folks.

The number of non-American travelers to Peñasco this year especially this summer (although not drinking at BooBar) has kept the condos and hotels busy. This is a direct result of a lot of hard work from our tourism board here locally and in Hermosillo.
However the number of American and Canadian visitors was up as well the winter / spring season was very, very good in the tour business. We already have bookings for October, November, February and March. These bookings are from shows we attended either by ourselves or in concert with our local OCV office. Specifically marketing to the second group. We are now ready for the kick off of the Fall marketing season. I will post the information here or on another thread later.

dry heat

Pigeon coup coordinator
An attorney friend of mine lives in downtown Phoenix. I walked to his condo after a game and some of the streets he cut through were beyond sketchy. Amazing that this is the same guy who will not go to rocky point, but will skip to my lou on downtown streets late at night (for eating or sporting events).

Roberto

The unknown is always more scarey than the known, doncha think? After one visit to Penasco, he would prolly be fear free.

jerry

Meanwhile the bodies are hitting the floors faster than drunk Cholla Bay gringos on Friday nights.

From Caborca: "Despite the efforts of the authorities of the three levels of government called cancer violence permeates society, and every day they look more accrued violence rates. Sunday July 29 shootout and chase the agricultural coast road, which ends with a vehicle overturned, burning and secured two guns; July 31 near midnight in the Santa Cecilia, gunned down two brothers, one died at the scene and the other days later in the city of Hermosillo, on Sunday August 4 thrown leave a encobijado between Caborca ​​and Pitiquito subject was raised in the town of Altar the night before yesterday Tuesday August 6 colony neighbor center is shot with Ak-47 rifle arm. In 10 days time we had three people dead and one wounded by bullets, one that Caborca ​​carried the index to be left lying in this county."

Last edited:

jerry

image.jpg The truce seems to be over...heads up...do not drive at night,SUV"s and Jeep Cheeokees type vehicles with tinted windows and a lot of guys in them could be mistaken for cartel.

Luna

Sea Shell Goddess
Our family always fears for our very lives every time we go to Mexico! And yes, these are the people who have never been there. When I ask why are they so afraid, the answer is ALWAYS because of what they heard on the news. We have traveled south of the border for many years and the worst thing that ever happened to us was a speeding ticket, which my hubby admits was totally his fault because he was speeding. Perhaps we are lucky, but we just mind our own business just like we do north of the border. Bad things happen everywhere and we refuse to live in a state of fear. Life is too short as it is and I for one intend on enjoying every precious moment of it. :woo:!

While I follow Luna's experience and philosophy, I appreciate Jerry's update. It never hurts to be aware when the wind picks up or shifts now and then.

AZRob

The thing that I FEAR the most in Mexico is not being able to slay some fish. Also the winds. LOL!!!!