Somebody Caught a REALLY Big Fish this Weekend!

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Personally- I like the shirt.

Red camouflages the fish blood stains, and in Hawaii, flowers are supposed to bring good luck on a fishing boat (unlike Bananas, about which I was properly educated by Doug and Ric last December...:duh: )

R

reportjones

I like Audsley! Great sense of humor. I am giving you a "pass" on the shirt. Have a nice day (a quote from the 70's)!

OK, Reportjones, I'm finally gonna take the bait on your red flowered shirt jabs.

Apparently you're either too young or too old to remember the 80s correctly. Gaudy red shirts with huge flowers had not yet arrived in the 80s and would not arrive at least until the late 90s. I confirmed this with my adult children who pay more attention to such matters than I do. Nevertheless, I appreciate your clothes counseling since my own sartorial interests seldom go beyond making sure I'm at least wearing shirts, pants, shoes, etc. in places where such attire is expected. I don't pay much attention to what other guys are wearing and only notice things have gone out of style when the stores quit stocking them. Thus your not-so-subtle hint is greatly appreciated. Next time I drop by J.C. Penneys to grab 3 shirts in 3 minutes I'll stock up on solid polos, which never go out of style. Happy now?

azfish

The shark ate a small piece of squid on a deep-drop 12/0 circle hook rig. We were fishing for goldspots, not shark, near the Witches Hat. I thought we had a black seabass at first, but it never decompressed on the way up and, as you can see, was still plenty lively at the boat. The reel (Daiwa 450H Sealine with 80 lb. PowerPro) was NOT bringing it up. Even with the drag locked down, the shark was still pulling line whenever it wanted. I eventually put on my gloves and gently hand-lined the shark to the surface. That took the better part of an hour, because sharks like it near the bottom and this one insisted on heading back that way quite regularly. After several failed attempts at tail-roping it, I was sure it was going to break off. That's usually the way this story ends and I've heard it from many that have hooked up large makos, Ric included. I don't have a flying gaff or tail roper on board -- I never actually fish for shark. So, dock line in hand, and after numerous attempts, we managed to actually get the rope around the tail and cinch it down. Poor Wendell got tail slapped in the face twice during this process -- I commend him for his vigilance! At that same moment we actually roped it, the shark threw its head and broke the fishing line. Having a plan helped, but lady luck definitely had a say in catching this fish! If it would have broken off, oh well, Shark 1, Stuart 0. For a change, the home team actually won this battle! This was more than deep-sea fishing. It was a heck of an adventure! After the shark died, it took all four of us to pull it up between the motors and get it on deck -- with the business end facing out the back of the boat just in case it wasn't as dead as I thought it was. Larry tape measured it at over 9 ft. tip of nose to tip of tail and we estimated weight to be at least 285 lbs., probably over 300.
Hey bud I hope you made steaks out of that beast? Your freezer should be full for a while.

azfish

I like Audsley! Great sense of humor. I am giving you a "pass" on the shirt. Have a nice day (a quote from the 70's)!
I have a simalur shirt which I love to wear and I bought it in Maui. Also is still in style. FYI I have a black with white flowers too. If your hip you would know this.

Kenny

In the 50's when the rayon Hawaiian shirts came out they were very popular and common in Phoenix. One of the main reasons they were so popular is because rayon is so lightweight, and comfortable in hot weather. When I moved back to Cali to start high school in 63 my white Levis were very cool they said, but my Hawaiian shirts were made fun of, so I wore them often until every Tom Dick and Harry started wearing them. I have a very old, 50's, and faded one I break out for special occasions, but when they became commonplace, and then a whole bunch of men started tucking them in with Bermuda shorts they weren't cool anymore, just mainstream.
Roberto, Like I've told you, don't you tuck that Hawaiian shirt in, it's not cool!

Last edited:
R

reportjones

Listen to Kenny. He knows what cool is. Kenny is strong and knows karate. He will kick your ass!

R

reportjones

Am I the only one finding that Cyclops Shark attractive?

dennis

i guess you have never been on stu's boat. he has a lucky fishing attire closet down below. this man felt the urge to get lucky.....so he went down............in stu's locker and picked this shirt........sorry stu...........the secret is out

audsley

After a bit of research, I've concluded that the shark we caught was a blacktip shark, not to be confused with a blacktip reef shark, which doesn't get that big and apparently isn't found in the Sea of Cortez. I checked multiple sources, and while there's no way of knowing which sources might have simply copied from others, I'm reasonably certain I've got this one nailed. My principal source is http://www.mexfish.com/fish/btshark/btshark.htm

This source and others say the blacktip can reach nine feet, although most are smaller. Ours exceeded nine feet by an inch and probably could have picked up at least a couple more inches if we had taken the trouble to stretch it out straight. The gray smoothhound shark, which also inhabits the Sea of Cortez, does not have the concave tail edge that our shark clearly had, and the regular gray shark does not inhabit the Sea of Cortez. And neither of the gray sharks are supposed to get that big.

The only non-conforming trait I found in Mexfish's description of blacktips is where they hang out. Apparently Stuart's teasing comment that we caught it right off Sandy Beach portrays a more plausible location than where we actually did catch it. Whereas most blacktips are found inshore at depths of 100 feet or less, ours was down 300 feet and several miles from the shoreline. Blacktips are supposed to be coastline cruisers and like to go into estuaries, which I'm sure the kayak and shore fishermen must be happy to hear. But they're said not to be aggressive toward humans except where competition for food is concerned, and only one of the 28 recorded blacktip attacks on humans was fatal. Should that make us relax?

The day we fished there was another boat nearby with a smaller shark tail-roped to the side, and on another thread I read that shark hook-ups have been increasing lately. I wonder if all this is actually a good sign. I wouldn't think shark catches would be on the increase if the prey fish weren't increasing also.

jerry

" Without sharks, some prey -- for example, stingrays favored by hammerheads -- would boom. In Australia, ecologists believe that increased shark fishing may have caused the spiny lobster industry in some areas to collapse since small octopi, whose numbers are no longer kept down by sharks, prey on the lobsters.(4) Sharks also serve to remove the sick, diseased, weak or injured animals from the ocean." Maybe that's why the lobsters we used to eat in the early 70s in rp are now gone?

Damn..you guys should have let that thing go...maybe next time?.. http://www1.american.edu/ted/SHARK.HTM