Sonoran Desert Tours

MIRAMAR

Last weekend, we had a beautiful hike up Pinacate with a group from Sonoran Desert Tours. They took us about an hour into the park, where we started the hike that Father Kino took to the top of Pinacate and discovered that Baja California was a pennisula rather than an island. My husband and I only hiked about 1.5 miles in, but there was a group of about 10 who hiked all the way to the top, and the pictures are beautiful. The poppies are growing and should be phenomenal in about a month. Everyone at Sonoran Desert Tours was extremely friendly, knowledgeable, and spoke English very well. I highly recommend going to their site: www.sonorandeserttours.com. They said they are looking at bringing in ATVs driving at a very slow rate to show Pinacate to people who aren't able to hike. Oh, and they made Stingray sandwiches that were outstanding- I never thought I would say that, but I did get a great deal of pleasure out of eating a stingray!

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Pincante

I've always wanted to go back there with my Nikon, but never seem to find the time. One of these trips!

Oh, Ms. Sheryl... you garnish a stingray sandwich with lots of fresh totuava!:rofl:

What do you garnish a stingray sandwich with? The whole trip sounds great! Thanks for the tip.
The last time I was down and helping out Rick Busa with the Baseball Clinic, the Penasco sports authority people served us manta ray tacos (someone had said stingray initially).....excellent, but heavily garnished.....lots of spices, but can't tell you which ones. Different......but tasted great.

B

bahiatrader

I gigged a ray one time and we had it for lunch on the boat. It was OK in tacos.

MIRAMAR

One of the guys, Fransisco, who runs or works at Sonoran Desert Tours, mother got up at 3:00 a.m. to make the sandwiches. The bread- bollilos (sp?) were incredibally fresh and I think they had some green chili mayonaise with lettuce. I've tasted mantaray before, but this was really tender. Anyone who is thinking of visiting Pinacate should plan a trip in about a month. The poppies were only about an inch tall- they were so dense, it looked like grass rather than poppies.