Sonoyta Bridge?

jerry

She is a safe driver so figure the 5 from Tucson is pretty solid to the coastal Highway exit at the Ejido by Santo Tomas (Alvaro Obrego which now has a really good restaurant owned by a great couple) add 2 hours to Tucson and an hour from Santo Tomas and figure 8 hours or so total time..Not good but better than waiting at Sonoyta.

GV Jack

Snorin God
Wahoo, man those are pretty slow times. Avg 59 mph from Phoenix to Nogales.

Four lanes 75 mph speed limits.... I'm not really slow but you'd never want to ride with Mrs. GV.

Must be a bunch of B double E double R UNs on that trip.

surfcaster

Tom the Surfcaster
I just returned from Santo Tomas, and had no problems crossing Thursday around four pm. The water was running pretty good and there were plenty of bumps and potholes so go slow!. It only took us five minutes to cross. Our friends came Friday at 10 am and found an hour delay and much chaos at the crossing. Several vehicles were being winched out down stream. They both made it across (a suburban and a 4 runner like mine). We heard it was closed after they crossed. We also crossed the rio again down by the airport on our way to Santo Tomas. It was still flowing pretty good there yesterday, but cars were going through. Some crazy guy driving a Yaris went through the Sonoyta crossing on Thursday!

Monday it was about a ten minute line up, but not much water going over compared to before. Safe Travels!

I just returned from Santo Tomas, and had no problems crossing Thursday around four pm. The water was running pretty good and there were plenty of bumps and potholes so go slow!. It only took us five minutes to cross. Our friends came Friday at 10 am and found an hour delay and much chaos at the crossing. Several vehicles were being winched out down stream. They both made it across (a suburban and a 4 runner like mine). We heard it was closed after they crossed. We also crossed the rio again down by the airport on our way to Santo Tomas. It was still flowing pretty good there yesterday, but cars were going through. Some crazy guy driving a Yaris went through the Sonoyta crossing on Thursday!

Monday it was about a ten minute line up, but not much water going over compared to before. Safe Travels!
There was a video on FB this weekend of someone in a small vehicle (maybe that Yaris???) trying to cross with a semi going in the opposite direction at the same time. Almost swamped the car....just about top of hood height with the water. Looked like he stalled out, but was able to start up again and limp through.

surfcaster

Tom the Surfcaster
Ha! I did not see that one. This guy followed a full size pickup (full of kids in the back waving and hooting) through and did not stall by some miracle. The water was splashing up over his hood and way onto the windshield, but not over the roof. It never got more than a few drops on my windows in the 4 runner 4x4. We called it the Sonoyta self service car wash.

GV Jack

Snorin God
This could be very good news.

There are two reports on the Sonoyta Detour Updates that as per our friend Roberto, the reporter, said last week,
the new bridge, two lanes, will open tomorrow, Wednesday the 19th. This will be for cars and family "vehicles",
but not trucks.

I will report in tomorrow as I should be hitting there around 11:00 to 11:30 depending upon how much we eat at
Todd's at Ryan Field on the way. Happy trails....

RPBOUND

Hit the wash at about 4:30 Monday afternoon. Road was DRY!!! Water still running heavy under the road. Crews were patching potholes. One thing to note is that the middle portion of the "bridge" is concrete and did not appear to have any damage so potholes are on either end of the bridge were where the water is a bit shallower. By the way, took the trip down from Phoenix on Saturday via San Luis/Coastal Highway. Very nice road. Took about 2 hours (and 140 miles longer) than normal but would do it again if I had too. Trip back that way will take longer due to inspections/border. As long as no rain in Southern Arizona/Northern Sonora, you'll be fine.

Roberto

Wed. Sept 19, 2 PM. People just arrived coming through Sonoita, and reported water flowing UNDER through the culverts but NONE passing over the pavement.

mondone

Whitecaps
Wed. Sept 19, 2 PM. People just arrived coming through Sonoita, and reported water flowing UNDER through the culverts but NONE passing over the pavement.
Doesn't matter. Reports say NEW BRIDGE IS OPEN.....ALL VEHICLES ARE PASSING! Cars, trucks, semi's. Both directions. truly great news!

GV Jack

Snorin God
Yes that is the mayan, but i was also talking about the new bridge in sonoyta too, are you sure they are letting all traffic thru?
Yes, I'm sure. I crossed at about 11:00 this AM and everything was going over the new bridge. One lane each way. No wait, no fuss...No detour signs.

The bad news is that from Ryan Field to the eddge of RP I passed only two cars and one semi. That means no one is headed this way right now.

Went to Mexico Beach Bum for a beer and the Old Port had quite a few people there. We were the only ones in the bar, but there was a great breeze up there.

Yes, I'm sure. I crossed at about 11:00 this AM and everything was going over the new bridge. One lane each way. No wait, no fuss...No detour signs.

The bad news is that from Ryan Field to the eddge of RP I passed only two cars and one semi. That means no one is headed this way right now.

Went to Mexico Beach Bum for a beer and the Old Port had quite a few people there. We were the only ones in the bar, but there was a great breeze up there.
I was awaiting your report...glad you made it and happy to hear about the new bridge! When news of its opening gets around I sure they will all be headin down! 13 days and counting for us.

Hope they didn't cut corners on the "new bridge" just to get it done quicker due to pressure. When we built our house down in PP - it was fairly quick (no inspection process to speak of so no waiting on permits, etc. - it's a little blind faith in doing stuff).

jerry

I didn't like the rebar layout in the bridge...seemed sparse...
Hope they didn't cut corners on the "new bridge" just to get it done quicker due to pressure. When we built our house down in PP - it was fairly quick (no inspection process to speak of so no waiting on permits, etc. - it's a little blind faith in doing stuff).