Sonoyta Bridge?

Terry C

The Caborca highway out East of Rocky point is flooding too. The Rio Sonoyta wash goes into the Ocean there. Some are saying to go that way via Caborca and Nogales. There are NO markers out there.

Rhino

The Caborca highway out East of Rocky point is flooding too. The Rio Sonoyta wash goes into the Ocean there. Some are saying to go that way via Caborca and Nogales. There are NO markers out there.
I returned home today via Penasco>Sonoyta>Corborca>Nogales>Tucsan>Phoenix. Very good roads with no issues but very long!

The whining on the FB site (Sonoyta Detour Updates | Facebook) has started.....let's blame the dam operator.... let's complain about the cost of getting a ride on a flatbed tow truck (with the savings in gas and 5-6 hours going by way of El Golfo/Yuma).... :stir::stir::stir:

It must be a mess in town (Sonoyta), with all those semis backed up in both directions.

F&DWard

Detour at Bridge

Was on the way down yesterday, got to Sonoyta, and the detour was closed because there was a LOT of fast moving water going over the detour. Waited a couple hours and saw not change so came back home to Chandler...sniff, wanted to spend the weekend there. It sure would have been nice to have a heads up so we didn't have to waste all that time and gas, just to turn around. Anyone have up to date info that could be posted when something like this happens?

Thanks

Frank & Danette

GV Jack

Snorin God
Welcome Wards....

This site, in between the Rants & Raves has a ton of good info on RP and the situation to get there.

If you look back you will see all kinds of threads about this situation. This and Facebook...Sonoyta Detour Updates will give you
all you need. Most of the time, anyawy.

Stay connected and enjoy RP.

GV Jack

Snorin God
The whining on the FB site (Sonoyta Detour Updates | Facebook) has started.....let's blame the dam operator.... let's complain about the cost of getting a ride on a flatbed tow truck (with the savings in gas and 5-6 hours going by way of El Golfo/Yuma).... :stir::stir::stir:

It must be a mess in town (Sonoyta), with all those semis backed up in both directions.
Right Joe. I don't feel for us as much as I do the good folks in Sonoyta who have to get from north to south or vice versa.
How about the ones who live south and need to come to the states for their work? It's just a mess for everyone involved.

Right Joe. I don't feel for us as much as I do the good folks in Sonoyta who have to get from north to south or vice versa.
How about the ones who live south and need to come to the states for their work? It's just a mess for everyone involved.
Sonoyta is pretty much cut in half...with only a pedestrian bridge. I wonder what supplies in the stores in town are like?

Can you imagine this type of cluster f$$k happening in the US....the truckers/bus companies would go bonkers.

I'm surprised the federal government is not yet involved as this cluster in Sonoyta has got to be impacting trucking commerce - isn't Highway 2 the main East/West thoroughfare? I understand that it is also a raging river under the bridge near "The Curve" - hope that bridge survives.

Terry C

The picture you posted say's Playa Encanto. Look again. Playa Encanto is about 8 miles out of Rocky Point. You are thinking Encanto Living way out by the Mayan. There are no washes from the Rio Sonoyta wash that run around Playa Encanto.

Just to clear thinks up. We are in Playa Encanto. "Encanto beach expert" I'm not but, i know where I am at all times.

Last edited:

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Wahoo, I do agree with terry C, although the picture you downloaded says Playa Encanto, it should say "Encanto Condos" which are located next to "Luna Blanca" condos, which I think is La Jolla Beach/Playa Dorada, about a couple of miles west of Mayan Palace, I am familiar with that area as I had to find my way into Mayan thru 2 monsoon seasons, and yes the entrance to "Encanto condos" could get 2 feet under water right at the turn where the road and the big dune before the shore is, nasty!!!

Last edited:

Terry C

If you use Google Earth is does not always place things in the correct place. Why, I think you can upload pictures even if you don't know where you are I guess.

For info to others, Marua is the first and then Pinta is the second estuary going east on the Caborca hwy.

Kenny

Richard Sabino; posts on FB; The water that's be running through the Sonoyta river for a week has now caused a problem on the eastern beaches of Rocky Point. The desert is flooded and the beach roads to the Mayan Palaca and Playa Dorada are flooded.

Recommend no travel today to the Mayan Palace or at least call the front desk for information. They are trying to repair and re route the entry road.
As I said earlier, the water is running to where it has ran for generations, toward the two estuary's with the most water running toward La Pinta. The water also used to run into what is now safe harbor too and early pictures confirm this.

Jim

We had several people come in today. All said that there was no delay and everyone was getting through. The last people that I spoke with came through around 2:30 this afternoon. The almost universal warning was "just watch out for the huge potholes".

jerry

A Tucson friend returned to Tucson from Santo Tomas (60 miles South of Penasco) via Nogales in 5 hours with no border wait (wow),so if you are headed to the Mayan (don't buy that timeshare) it might be your route of choice.