Spring Break Part Deux

I know Spring Break has just started down there with the ASU crowd, but I'm wondering how it's going. Good crowds or not?

I've been seeing lots of negative press (and so have you, I'm sure), and coupled with harsh economic times it seems to be having an effect.

Take this article in the Las Cruces Sun for example: Students steering clear of Mexico for Spring Break
Wanda Mattiace used to gently tell spring breakers interested in visiting Jamaica that it could be a little rough. But with more than 5,600 murders in 2008 in Mexico, Mattiace, who owns Adventure Travel in Las Cruces, says "Jamaica's looking pretty good."

Interest in traveling to Mexico among high school and college students approaching spring break — March 21 to 29 this year — is about "1 percent" of what it was three years ago, she estimates.

The deals from Mexico she deletes almost as soon as they land in her inbox, she said.

"I get a blurb every day on my e-mail: "Come to this resort, half-price, free drinks, it's perfectly safe!' It's not safe. I've been doing this for a long time and I have real problems with danger, like the Middle East — war. Africa, it's health. That's way different. This is like, "Hello, come vacation in our war zone,'" she said. "I heard the silliest excuses. "Well, it's just between the drug guys. They don't care about anyone else.' You think their aim is that good?"
http://www.lcsun-news.com/ci_11868885
And there's this: College students staying home for spring from The East Valley Tribune.

And all those travel warnings from the guv'mint and Universities that we're already familiar with. Sigh.

I guess I'm just worried for RP's economy, all those businesses that depend on Spring Break even more than ever now because of the recession. I'm hoping it all goes great. Any indication yet?

And hey, what's the deal with that drink I read about in the Las Cruces newspaper, "...Rocky Point Bomber — a vile concoction of tequila and milk"? Tequila and milk??? :eek3: OMG, what is the world coming to?

B

bahiatrader

Maybe a little a little chocolate? You could call it The Rocky Point Brown Bomber. Yuck!

InkaRoads

cronopiador
I had a friend in Spain that his drink of choice was Wild turkey with chocolate milk, mixed not as a chaicer!!! I never tried it :eek3:, kahlua with vodka and milk (white russian) is the closest I have ever got to it!!!

MIRAMAR

I just read the East Valley Tribune article on "Spring Breakers Staying Home" where they talked about Rocky Point. Here is my response I wrote to the Tribune:
After reading your headlines:
Digital camera key evidence in Mesa slaying
Death to be featured on '48 Hours Mystery’
Traffic stop leads to marijuana bust
Slaying suspect tells of innocence, relationship
Police: Mom helped daughter beat up teen
Group seeks homes for rescued dogs
Family dog kills 2-week-old Mesa infant
Rocky Point battles image problem
Man ejected, killed by truck in Mesa

I am telling my daughter and son they aren't allowed to stay in Mesa or Phoenix, that they must travel to Rocky Point to get away from the murders, kidnappings, and crimes. I was just there this weekend, the weather was perfect, the people friendly, and I felt much safer there than in the Valley.

B

bahiatrader

It's really sad that times are changing. I was offered a job in Tampico, Tamaulipas Mexico in 1988. I had spent some time in Mexico back in the 60s and I really loved it, but my wife was apprehensive. She'd heard all kinds of bad things about Mexico, and US TV wasn't a great promoter of Mexico. Bad things were the only things that made the news. In the spring before I took the job, we drove all the way from Central Oregon to Tampico so I could look at the job and she could see that it wasn't as violent as she had imagined. She loved it and fell in love with the gentle Mexican culture. We might still be there if I hadn't had some problems with my employer, and later with the Mexican government. We had a wonderful and enriching time when we lived in Mexico. We still have good friends in Tampico. We also have good friends in Rocky Point, Kino Del Mar and San Carlos.
In Mexico at that time you were far safer from violent crime than almost any city in the US. That is probably still true, but with the increase in drug and human trafficing things have gotten worse everywhere. You're probably still safer from violent crime in Mexico than you are in Phoenix, or any Norte Americano big city after dark. It's not as safe there now as it was, but it's not safer than it was anywhere 15 or 20 years ago. It's just my personal opinion, but I don't let my fear of violence deter me from going anywhere in Mexico I want. You're still safer in Mexico City than riding a subway in New York or driving down 13th street in Washington DC. The media promotes the problems in Mexico because bad news is much more saleable than good news. To quote Will Rogers, "All I know is just what I read in the newspapers, and that's an alibi for my ignorance." Unfortunately the media promotes this ignorance. You're taking a chance by going to Mexico, and you're taking a chance by walking out to pick up your morning newspaper. Take your chances. I'm going to Mexico the next time the opportunity arises.

B

bahiatrader

Incidentally InkaRoads, I used to enjoy a shot of whiskey in my hot morning cocoa on a cold winter morning sometimes. Muy Sabroso.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Getting back to the original post, there is nobody in Rocky Point. I just got home at 9 P.M. after 3 days in PP and it is DESERTED! Ramon's was CLOSED last night! Asadero Sonora was CLOSED Sat. night! There were 20 people on the beach in front of PDO today. The Mirador was EMPTY Sat. and Sun. nights. There was only one other table having supper in Lolita's Sunday night.

A few little tidbits....Sr. Arenas, (Sandy) the owner of Old Port Liquors, died in Nov. RIP Sandy.

Cornejos panaderia, the son of the one armed baker man, RIP, bakery is as good as his dad's. Yummay!

Ir RAINED in Rocky Point last night! Weather was cold Sat. and Sun. Perfect today, the day I go home, (of course)

I met Tortuga. Good people!

I lost a friend, RIP Hunter! You will be missed. Luv ya, Becky!

I fear for the town, no kids, no money. :eek3:

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Yes, sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Perhaps it will pick up some next weekend when U of A is out.

Ladyjeeper said:
Yes, sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Perhaps it will pick up some next weekend when U of A is out.
U of A, NAU, and Maricopa County Community Colleges have their spring break next week, plus many of the local school districts. It's been dead down there the entire year so far. Even Pink Cadillac and Manny's haven't been open several of the weekends. The town is really hurting.

Not good news, I hope things pick up. I read yesterday that San Felipe, Baja got bad news on Saturday. The town was all pumped up for Spring Break and was told at the last minute that SWAT had decided to reschedule all their parties to Palm Springs instead.

I wonder if Cancun and cities further from the border are having any better luck?

jerry

When it's the U.A.s turn I'd be surprised if there isn't a better turnout.More dedication to the religion of partying with fewer Fox news watching parents should get more kids on the road to big,stupid fun
We will beat ASU in the PAC-10 opener tourney

My friend works for the Baja cantina and he had said that on Wednesday night they finally broke the 500 customer a night mark. (pretty dismal compaired to last year)

Tuesdays crowd was around 400, and he stated that they were the busiest place down on the strip. (with only 10 rooms rented out 80 at the beginning of the week)

He also said that Manny's is taken a real beating, they estimate that they are $25,000.00 a night below last years take.

I have to admit, it almost seems like Rocky Point in the pre-condo era...