Sprouts selling "Sea of Cortez Halibut" for 11.00/lb

ckyevanjay

Well Known Member
Somebody confirm that this is not just over priced flounder they are selling? Also they claim its a product of the USA which means they would have had to catch it in the pacific in which it should be a california halibut right? Im no expert here on this specie but everything I read says the sea of cortez flounder is a halibut and vice versa. Just thought it was funny seeing sprouts sell something out of the sea of cortez. Educate me on this!!!!!!

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I dont know about the fis but this will tell you something of "product of the usa" While in Caborca 2 summers ago during grape harvest we got to watch the pickers with their rolling tables pick and carefully trim and package the beautiful plump grapes for several hours. The grapes were crated and loaded on a truck headed for the USA. The boxes that they packed the grapes in said "Product of the USA" I was shocked so I looked into it. The package does not say "these grapes were grown on US soil" It says simply "Product of the USA" as long as a certain percent of the total package was made iin the USA then it passes the test. I think the boxes and the crates and the paper wrap for the grapes are all products made in the USA. The grapes are Sonoran. However the packaging probably makes up a higher percentage of the total value of the product, therefore.........It could be the same for the fish as well.

jerry

Well Known Member
Russ the local pickers are being squeezed out of the picking gig by middlemen hiring near slaves from Chiapas.....sad

AZ ROB

Well Known Member
I was at sprouts a few weeks ago and they were selling the "Rocky Point Shrimp" at $7.50 a lb with a big sign stating never frozen... And at that price you had to clean them yourself..

jerry

Well Known Member
I like that store's produce and the $2.99 lunchtime sandwich special is the best deal in town. Free coffee too.The had 'wild caught" shrimp at the Tucson stores this week at $7.50 and the guy told me they were from "the Gulf of California". The Sea of Cortez is a imperialist name.......only in Tucson!

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I like that store's produce and the $2.99 lunchtime sandwich special is the best deal in town. Free coffee too.The had 'wild caught" shrimp at the Tucson stores this week at $7.50 and the guy told me they were from "the Gulf of California". The Sea of Cortez is a imperialist name.......only in Tucson!
What I find interesting about that is that it is the sea of Cortes, of course named after Cortes' so Spanish by nature when Americans call it the gulf of California in a sort of smug way, they are forgetting that California is also of Spanish origen as well as most of its cities like San Diego, San Jose, Los Angeles, Modesto, Sacramento......It was ALL Mexico at one time.....

audsley

Well Known Member
"... when Americans call it the gulf of California in a sort of smug way..."

Did the Spanish never have any maps depicting Golfo de California?

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
I will ALWAYS call it the Sea of Cortez -- simply because I'm opposed to "political correctness" bullshit. Not sure who exactly that name would offend in the first place!

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
I will ALWAYS call it the Sea of Cortez -- simply because I'm opposed to "political correctness" bullshit. Not sure who exactly that name would offend in the first place!
I agree! I only refer to it as the gulf of California when I'm talking to someone about The Sea of Cortez and they look at me with a blank look and I can tell they have no idea what and where the SOC is. I'm sure that people that live in the Midwest or other parts of the country know it as the gulf of California only.

Kenny

Well Known Member
There are many indigenous people throughout the America's that still hate the conquistadors and the Catholic Church, and with good reason.

When I was living over in N.M they had consigned this high brow artist to make a large sculpture for the old town square in Santa Fe. Not knowing the history or the culture of the area he made a huge statue of Don Juan de Oñate.

"Historians like Oscar Martinez at the University of Arizona argue that erecting a statue to Oñate — particularly the largest statue of its kind — is a lot like flying the Confederate flag over the South Carolina state capital. "The Pueblo people have never gotten over the cruel treatment and oppression they endured under Oñate," Mr. Martinez wrote in a letter to the El
Paso City Council. "Oñate's behavior can actually be compared to Nazi officers who directed campaigns against the Jews in the 1930's and 1940's,
including extermination drives. ".As a Sculpture Takes Shape in Mexico, Opposition Takes Shape in the U.S.
..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_de_Oñate
Oñate retaliated for the loss of his nephew; his soldiers killed 800 villagers, including men, women and children. They enslaved the remaining 500, and by Don Juan’s decree,[SUP][3][/SUP] they amputated the left foot of every Acoma man over the age of twenty-five. Females were sent off to be slaves, several were forced to commit suicide, by crucifiction. Eighty men had one of their feet amputated though other commentators put the figure of those mutilated at twenty-four.[SUP][4][/SUP]

Roberto

Well Known Member
There are many indigenous people throughout the America's that still hate the conquistadors and the Catholic Church, and with good reason.

When I was living over in N.M they had consigned this high brow artist to make a large sculpture for the old town square in Santa Fe. Not knowing the history or the culture of the area he made a huge statue of Don Juan de Oñate.

"Historians like Oscar Martinez at the University of Arizona argue that erecting a statue to Oñate — particularly the largest statue of its kind — is a lot like flying the Confederate flag over the South Carolina state capital. "The Pueblo people have never gotten over the cruel treatment and oppression they endured under Oñate," Mr. Martinez wrote in a letter to the El
Paso City Council. "Oñate's behavior can actually be compared to Nazi officers who directed campaigns against the Jews in the 1930's and 1940's,
including extermination drives. ".As a Sculpture Takes Shape in Mexico, Opposition Takes Shape in the U.S.
..Juan de Oñate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Oñate retaliated for the loss of his nephew; his soldiers killed 800 villagers, including men, women and children. They enslaved the remaining 500, and by Don Juan’s decree,[SUP][3][/SUP] they amputated the left foot of every Acoma man over the age of twenty-five. Females were sent off to be slaves, several were forced to commit suicide, by crucifiction. Eighty men had one of their feet amputated though other commentators put the figure of those mutilated at twenty-four.[SUP][4][/SUP]
That statue. or another, was erected along I-40 years ago. One of the feet was torched off the statue !!

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
In 1519 Cortes' came to Mexico against his superiors orders. He conquered Mexico for Spain. less than 200 years later padre Eusebio Kino made his way through Northern Mexico into what is Now Arizona and California settling missions. In the late 1600's and early1700's made many trips through this area. He was the first to declare that Baja California is not an Island but rather a peninsula. Here is a map from 1710 that Kino drew. By the way it was Kino who first climbed to the top of the Pinacate mountain and could then make the peninsula declaration
kino map 1700.jpg

I am looking for previous maps which as a tour guide I find very interesting. You will notice that he refers to the sea of Cortes' as Mar de California as well as the Vermillion sea.

mis2810

Well Known Member
There isn't one statue of Hernan Cortez in all of Mexico. He's not a very well remembered historical figure, to say the least.

asprinkles

Well Known Member
I talked to the guy @ sprouts , He said, where ever the boat was regestered is where it shows the fish comes from. I got wahoo for 4.99 and it said columbia or something. He said they were actually in Mexico waters ,but the boat was registered in columbia ,so that is where it comes from. No idea if that is true, but makes goverment logic.Leigh