Squatters Invade Cholla

Bob Oso

*Thought I revise and old thread with a not so new problem. The circumstance is different, but the issue is the same*

Got a call late Friday (02 Feb 2024) from one of our neighbors in Cholla that when they were passing by our place, they noticed our boat house doors were open, and checked to see if we were down. Told them that we weren't and had them contact the Cholla police and see if there were squatters. Police came, looked in the boat house and saw that a window going into the cabin was remove, not broken...removed frame and all. The Policia looked in the house and came back out and muttered something in Spanish they couldn't understand. Thay asked if they could look and at least secure up the place. Policia said no, only the owners could look. They could shut the doors but not secure them. So, we got up Saturday and headed down.

At first, while heading down we hoped for the best that it was just squatters taking shelter out of the rain and cold. Making calls back and forth with our neighbors, when we arrived the plan was to contact the Policia and have them there when we entered. Of course, couldn't find any and with our friends went to the cabin. The boat house doors were still shut so we opened them first. An unbelievable amount of our belongings that were inside the house were now in the boat house, bagged, boxed and thing that could hold something was used. Now to the front door that was still locked (double key dead bolts) opened it up and our hearts sank.

The place had been thoroughly ransacked, what wasn't stolen was laid a strewn all over the house. It was evident now that that these "squatters" had been there for some time. Stealing not just the electronics but taking the time to dismantle and break down secured fixtures, furniture anything that could fit through the removed window and into the boat house, where it was staged to be removed in multiple trips. They even had the time and huevos to take my sand rail out for a joy ride, or to relocate the stolen goods. They spray painted the wheels black and attached a random whip antenna we had in the house to make it look like they were just vacationers. Every turn we took in the house what has always been there, now isn't. Like most everything everyone takes to Mexico is brought down to live out its last days. We were no different, but there were things taken that can't be replaced. Gifts and sentimental items that we received from friends and family throughout the years.

So finally, the Cholla Policia show up after being called and take their report, but what's most interesting is the officer from the day before is nowhere to be found, the one that said not to touch or secure anything. But the ones that did show up came in, took pictures, wrote their report, asked a few questions and if we were going to spend the night so they'd know how much to patrol the area. And as the day moves forward, so does the rumor mill, and everyone that stops by has their speculations and theories. But the main theme to each of the stories was, "Don't tell anyone that I told you, but...." By the time the day was wrapping up I think what was obvious is that the locals know who they are, but are not willing, or too scared to talk. Now it's not like we're on some off shoot street on the fringes of Cholla, we're smack-dab in the middle with a road that is traveled numerous times a day, by Americans and locals alike. We have been in this place 40+ years and know most of the people around us, and just as many locals.

After the condolences from our friends, we packed up and headed home. We weren't sure if whoever it was, was coming back, and just plain too gutted to go through the mess. On the way home we had plenty time to talk, and agreed Cholla isn't what it used to be. And I'm sure the border closing for a month didn't help any. We've been through the ringer of dilemmas in Mexico, and just about any kind of incident you can think of. We've taken many blows and have always worked through them, while at the same time trying to learn from them. But on that long ride home we concluded there is no upside to this one moving forward. This time the bandits won, this time they stole our sole.

ernesto

So sorry to hear this Bob. There are others. Do you have a bank trust on the property? I would have that in hand and visit the Chief of Police. You were right to leave and not spend the night.

Bob Oso

Thanks Ernesto, and normally I would get my voice heard and hope I could get some answers. We also realize that it's all gone, and we'll only be placated with insincere assurances.

Hola Vecino, Sorry to hear about the break-in,
We had our last break-in in 2013, (in 30 years been broken in 4 times), similar MO, my local friend was walking
by my house to fish the rocks near my place on Pinto Point and noticed a 12x18in bath window broken out.
He had a key and went inside, everything the robbers found and wanted was packed up into anything they could
carry out still by the front door. (beach bags, ice chest a few boxes). My friend put in a new bath window and rebar across the opening
locked everything up after the police came by and took a report after calling me.

He came by 4 days later and found 3 of my houses 4x5ft dual pane windows broken out near the latches and track locks,
he went inside and most everything other than the large furniture was gone. My friend called me with the bad news, like you,
older stuff we upgraded from gets a new life in Cholla.
It was obvious they lived there for a couple of days, they even took the glass light bulbs apart to
smoke ?? out of the glass globe part.
Another Police report wasn't filed because, this time the owner (Me) had to file it.

I went down the next day and filed the police report 3 trips and 8 hours later, before I had a signed report to give my insurance company.

I talked with Joe at JJ's about it and he said the best thing I could do was install a simple noise alarm and put alarm stickers in my windows.
10 years later no issues, I have upgraded my alarm to a Simply safe alarm (which is only OK) and
installed a few cameras which send me notifications when they see activity, one of them will actually track people walking by my place,
and it has great clarity in 3K. My only issue is a lot of Chollan's vecinos walk near my house, lots of notifications. LOL

It all worked out, we felt pretty violated that last time, but washed everything and wiped everything clean, which helped us get past this.

Old55

Shit……sorry Bob , the hope is the huge amount of condo cash flowing in to town will allow or make local government do their job….

playaperro

El Pirata
Sorry to hear about this Bob, don’t matter if they steal your TV’s or take most of your possessions it feels terrible getting violated. The memory stings for lots.
They broke a thousand dollar door to steal a 8 year old Tv from me and I should have listened to the guards, it was an inside job.
They Came back the next week and stole 3 tv’s from across the street.
Taxi drivers and day laborers.

ernesto

They are hip to the unmonitored alarm. Tore mine off the wall and smashed it. Monitored is only $300 a year. I agree with the inside job theory. Whenever you have construction near you are a target. And don't fool yourself, the police are complicit.

Bob Oso

Appreciate the comforting words guys, but even after a few days of letting the shock wash through us were still saddened with the knowledge that this will probably be it. We'll still go to RP-Cholla for all the organized activities that we enjoyed with our friends and neighbors for many years. The births, the Quinceanera’s, graduations and marriages of our local friends, but as for having a financial stake, not anymore.

We’ve never been the type to let single incidents sway us into making rash decisions, but I can say for the last 5-7-10 years the corruption and influence beat down on the Gringos has grown 10-fold. If you’re an Ex-pat, or permanent resident you can float above the fray, but if not, it’s simple you’re a victim. They know it and exploit it. We were always aware of the risk of having a monetary liability in Mexico and accepted it. But the days of appreciation and fair play are long over.

It may seem to some of you that this is nothing more than a case of sour grapes for what happened to us. Heck, I might even feel the same way. But as someone that has been visiting, vacationing in the Puerto Penasco since the 60’s I kind of have a feel for the place. Or maybe it’s just my time, who knows…

P.S. You're right Ernesto, we've had new construction going on behind us for the past 6 months and they have no problem using our property as a storage and staging area for their building materials, as well as waste containment....absolutely no respect.

Hit the nail right on the head Bob. We have only been in Puerto Penasco for 6 years. We have seen the change in that short time and it’s not for the better. Our feeling is it’s going to get worse before it gets better. We have decided to move on. Short story is house and lot beside us up for sale. Sorry to hear about the break in Bob.

JoseAz

"but I can say for the last 5-7-10 years the corruption and influence beat down on the Gringos has grown 10-fold."

So true. Even Las Conchas. They tear down the guard house, which was only used to deter theft and incease safety.
Issue building permits within the State approved HOA without HOA review or participation. New builds typically dont pay the HOA fee so they get very expensive road maintenance for free.

We are the last of the priority for water delivery. The City wont help enforce delinquent (for years) HOA payments by threatening water turn off or anyother muncipal perogative.

The local Rental companies don't enforce any of the rules with their renters

We have been there for over 20 years, spend money, tip generously, .... but as they say, the tide is turning

Wow that really is too bad. Sorry for your loss. We know the feeling of violation. Had someone steal a check out of our mailbox here in the states and wash it for $800. Just that makes us feel violated and mistrusted.

Old55

"but I can say for the last 5-7-10 years the corruption and influence beat down on the Gringos has grown 10-fold."

So true. Even Las Conchas. They tear down the guard house, which was only used to deter theft and incease safety.
Issue building permits within the State approved HOA without HOA review or participation. New builds typically dont pay the HOA fee so they get very expensive road maintenance for free.

We are the last of the priority for water delivery. The City wont help enforce delinquent (for years) HOA payments by threatening water turn off or anyother muncipal perogative.

The local Rental companies don't enforce any of the rules with their renters

We have been there for over 20 years, spend money, tip generously, .... but as they say, the tide is turning
Sorry man….on the brighter side no one shoots at you guys yet! We now have to really watch where and when we travel. down south

Old55

Hit the nail right on the head Bob. We have only been in Puerto Penasco for 6 years. We have seen the change in that short time and it’s not for the better. Our feeling is it’s going to get worse before it gets better. We have decided to move on. Short story is house and lot beside us up for sale. Sorry to hear about the break in Bob.
Dang….need to buy you a beer when I come into do the one year reup of the Temporal visa. I spent a lot of time in Beaufort SC the last 4 years (Habersham) a great planed town on the coast…great looking ,good food nice people from all over the world…you could do worse!

Old55

Sorry to hear about this Bob, don’t matter if they steal your TV’s or take most of your possessions it feels terrible getting violated. The memory stings for lots.
They broke a thousand dollar door to steal a 8 year old Tv from me and I should have listened to the guards, it was an inside job.
They Came back the next week and stole 3 tv’s from across the street.
Taxi drivers and day laborers.
Perro, is Carnac still alive?