Sting Ray protection?

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Ha Ha Kenny,
I can barely work the pedals with my size 10's as it is. Drive the local boys wild? I can hear them laughing hysterically now! Gringa loca! Hitting the brake and the clutch at the same time......... :mrgreen:

Playaperro,
Pan Birote????? Is that a joke or are you referring to everything but the kichen sink? :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm telling ya, Adolph's meat tenderizer on the outside and Ron Bacardi Anejo on the inside will fix it!

We have never been hit by a ray......but we are usually there in Feb and July. So I'm not sure if they are active during thoes times of the year. We are headed down the last week of May. Any known issues. I usually worry about the jellyfish.

Years ago, was camping at Playa Bonita with some friends....they were told about the "shuffle"...the guy was just stomping around at the surf line in tennis shoes...got hit by one....tore right thru the tennis shoe (a nice 2 inch tear) and hit his big toe...he nursed it the whole weekend...had his wife tending to his every need all weekend :roll: :twisted: :lol:

Another trip a couple college age guys with a girl were bobbing out in deeper water....the girl must have come down on one....got hit bad...bleeding, screaming etc....the guys just kept pouring tequila down her throat until she stopped screaming!!!

C

cactusamigo

String rays congregate in large numbers in sheltered areas with sandy bottoms, such as along Sandy Beach. If one is swimming in these areas, and settles down with a foot to the sand, the probability is high that the foot will come on top of a sting ray, which will react by whipping its tail to inflict a painful wound into the offender. If you must swim in these areas, never come directly down with your feet, but shuffle your feet through the sand. The sting rays will sense you and swim away.

Wading is the most popular form of coast fishing in Texas. We ALL do the Texas Shuffle!
Saw a kid run into the surf and get hit on the 2nd step - screamed bloody murder for a half-hour (must have taken that long for the tequila to do its work!). Populated beaches have the fewest rays... they don't want to get stepped on. We used 'em for shark bait and found more of them in back-bay areas and places where tourist don't go walking around.
The last time I fished the Texas coast (March '12) they were telling everyone to soak the wound in hot water - I suppose to keep the swelling down. Hot water and tequila, tasty!

Kenny

I shuffle, I stomp, slap the water, but sometimes depending on where I'm at and what time of year it is, I don't even think about it. I've never been hit, and no one I've been with has either. Now if you're at the north end of La Pinta in the springtime, don't even think about walking out on the flats without making a ruckus. In areas like that their thick in the springtime because they come in to spawn at that time of year. Now you might think their not in rocky area's, but you'd be wrong.:eek:... Now I might or might not wear sandals or sneakers, but that would be because of sharp shells that are in some areas, not for protection from ray's.

Roberto

So let me see if I got this right now. There are sting rays close to the beach? They have a painful sting? You should not 'walk' rather 'shuffle' when you walk into the sea? There are booties that offer some protection? You can buy them at Cabellas? Lady Jeeper went on a date ther one time? People often do not bother to read but just ask questions? Kenny's fish scarin outfit keep the rays away?

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
So let me see if I got this right now. There are sting rays close to the beach? They have a painful sting? You should not 'walk' rather 'shuffle' when you walk into the sea? There are booties that offer some protection? You can buy them at Cabellas? Lady Jeeper went on a date ther one time? People often do not bother to read but just ask questions? Kenny's fish scarin outfit keep the rays away?

I think we need that picture of the fish scarin outfit to reference so Johnny doesnt have anymore questions. The fish scarin outfit works so well it even repels the cartel! The only downside is that it seems to attract La Policia and Mordida. Might be the price you have to pay to stay stylish and barb free out there in the knee high water. Can we dig up that picture for Johnny? Im sure Dog has it archived somewhere.

playaperro

El Pirata
Caught this guy out back JJ's with a shinny kastmaster using barracuda as bait, you can see joe anacleto co-owner of jj's trying to lay claim to it!playa hermosa.jpg

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Caught this guy out back JJ's with a shinny kastmaster using barracuda as bait, you can see joe anacleto co-owner of jj's trying to lay claim to it!View attachment 5445

I call that the handy dandy, kastmaster with a cuda on a 4oz splitshot. That's got to be the biggest shore fish I have ever seen! Did you win the ~~~CULERO~~~ class in the Cholla Bay Derby?