Super Hot in AZ...and not so hot in Rocky Point?

PuroPelicano

Do I have this correct? It's going to be 117 in Phoenix and only 90's in Rocky point? Is this the norm? I'm guessing the drive down from Phoenix (or Vegas where I live) could be hard on your vehicle...

Southbeacher

Well Known Member
The summers in Penasco are generally around 10 degrees cooler than in Phoenix. The humidity in summer in Penasco can mitigate that "relief gap" unless the wind velocity kicks in. With a breeze, it is often very comfortable.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Even with temp's getting to the 90's in Penasco, it's still not bad in June.
QoK is spot on, it's the humidity that makes it bad.

As we get the arrival of the Monsoon season in July-Sept, Penasco's humidity climbs making it a totally different experience,
the Dew points hover around 70-80. Yuk

Taking a trip in the desert when it's pushing 120 degrees is hard on a car, tires really hate the 150+ degree asphalt.
Drive early or after sunset..

JayT

I really like June in Puerto Penasco. It's still reasonably dry compared to later summer and the ocean temps are perfect for swimming. Don't forget to check your car battery too...the hot temps are battery killers.

AZRob

Well Known Member
I really like June in Puerto Penasco. It's still reasonably dry compared to later summer and the ocean temps are perfect for swimming. Don't forget to check your car battery too...the hot temps are battery killers.
I second that about the battery, the one in the truck died with little notice. I also had to replace my daughters car battery. Funny thing about truck I had it replaced under warranty at gmc and lasted under a year, went to auto zone and got a good reliable battery.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Just today (Monday) i told Naomi that it felt different than other days in the last week. It was wet this morning. Until yesterday we only ran the A/C upstairs at night before we go to bed and the timer kicks it off at around 2 am. I believe that it will run all night tonight and as I am typing this the downstairs A/C is on for a while, probably until just after dinner. My daughter lives in a "dry" place but it is already 118 there and they have had A/C on for over a month 24x7. I like where I live. I will always say I would rather be hot than cold.

PuroPelicano

Thank you everyone for your input. My jets have satisfactorily been cooled. Neither 117 nor 90 and humid sounds good. We sure did love Rocky Point in February and we met alot of nice folks even though I am not very social or sociable. And the Mexican husband says the oysters there are the best he's ever had.

mondone

Whitecaps
Got back to my beach house in Encanto on Monday and it's been brutal. The humidity has been awful for this time of year compared to many other years. No bueno.

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
Left Mirador last Sunday morning at 88 degrees and after only a thirty minute wait to get across hit Yuma at 111. Right now in Yuma it's 121 at 7 PM!

Just another June day in the desert. My hot tub at the moment is 102 and the pool is 92. Both heated with the ambient air temps.

JJ

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
Also,

On Tuesday it topped 120 with Yuma at 4 PM with 126 showing on my Ford Raptor while doing my afternoon drop-offs at FEDEX, UPS and the USPS.

First time ever I saw dead birds on the ground under my Mesquite trees. They were all those red headed House Finches. They are supposed to be residents even living out in the open desert all year long.

JJ

dirtsurfer

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter
Can't tell you how many boat trailer tires I went through over the years. Often nearly brand new. KA-blooey!
Stuart: I have been asking for years why trailer tires seem to blow or disentegrate at a much higher rate than auto tires. What is your take on this?

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Stuart: I have been asking for years why trailer tires seem to blow or disentegrate at a much higher rate than auto tires. What is your take on this?
Depends on size, for one. Most are 13 or 14 inch which means they rotate faster and generate more heat. Load range is the other factor. Nearly all are load range C. Nearly impossible to find a higher load range in the smaller sizes. Lastly, they are constructed differently. I would try to run radials, which seem to be more heat sensitive.

My final solution was going up to 15 inch wheels and light truck tires (not always an option to fit) with an E load range. That solved the problem. But I sure went through a bunch of trailer tires before that. Hell, I even had a spare explode just sitting on the tongue with no load in the driveway from the heat.

Trailer tires suck. And making it worse on a triple axle boat trailer, when one would blow, it often took out the one next to it. I used to carry three spares in the truck for just that reason and had a few trips where I used all three.

Go with truck tires and the highest load range (E) you can get.

Bob Oso

Well Known Member
To expand on some of Stuarts points of manufacturing, kinetics there's also the chemical aspect. As trailer tires do, more so than car tires, they remain dormant for extended periods of time. During that time the elastomer compounds within the tire will migrate or settle leaving portions of the tire more subject to failure than other parts. Thusly leaving you on the side of the road kicking your blown tire and yelling at your wife and kids.