Super Ley and Ley Express Short Change Scam

Idyllwild

Well Known Member
This morning I stood down the third attempt to short change me in Puerto Peñasco. This time it was at the Ley Express, and it was identical to a scheme at Super Ley a couple of months ago. This time I was rung up for 38 pesos of fresh vegetables. i gave the teller a 200 peso note. She feigned having to get change, took the note off to the manager. Came back two minutes later and continued to ignore me while she rang up another customer. Eventually a confederate arrived and laid 62 pesos in front of me. I started complaining loudly in English and a 100 peso note was added to the change. Another time at the Pemex by the windmills I gave the attendant 500 pesos for gasoline. When she removed the nozzle I looked back at the pump and it had dispensed exactly 480 pesos worth.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
This morning I stood down the third attempt to short change me in Puerto Peñasco. This time it was at the Ley Express, and it was identical to a scheme at Super Ley a couple of months ago. This time I was rung up for 38 pesos of fresh vegetables. i gave the teller a 200 peso note. She feigned having to get change, took the note off to the manager. Came back two minutes later and continued to ignore me while she rang up another customer. Eventually a confederate arrived and laid 62 pesos in front of me. I started complaining loudly in English and a 100 peso note was added to the change. Another time at the Pemex by the windmills I gave the attendant 500 pesos for gasoline. When she removed the nozzle I looked back at the pump and it had dispensed exactly 480 pesos worth.
I always HAWK EYE those gas attendants... 4 liters per gallon do the math I grew up in the states and went to college nobody is fucking me out of gas! LOL

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
I always HAWK EYE those gas attendants... 4 liters per gallon do the math I grew up in the states and went to college nobody is fucking me out of gas! LOL
You can't dispute it when the pumps are already rigged to short you. Ask me how I know.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
We have been shopping here for the last 14 years and have never been shorted except one time when I screwed up the exchange rate and the gas attendant pointed it out to me and made it right, my fault. Pay attention to your stuff or someone else will.

rplarry

Well Known Member
We have been shopping here for the last 14 years and have never been shorted except one time when I screwed up the exchange rate and the gas attendant pointed it out to me and made it right, my fault. Pay attention to your stuff or someone else will.
I was waiting with baited breath for the Russ Bus reply. “In my gazillion years of living in Puerto Penasco, that has never, ever, ever happened to Naomi and me. Ever ! “

And then with this post regarding getting ripped off by unscrupulous cashiers, greedy gas station workers, or rigged gas pumps, the classic reply from Russ is ... “never happened to me!” Followed by the #2 classic response which the theme is, ‘hey dummy , or, don’t be a dumbass’. Not literally, but definitely figuratively.

And in this case, the actual reply was, “Pay attention to your stuff or someone else will.” (you ignorant person you) And then the individual might reply, “But it’s kind of challenging to keep track of my change because I don’t speak very good Spanish and it’s hard for me to calculate the ever moving exchange rates. Why can’t they just be honest ?” Russ’ reply might be, “ it’s not the thieving cashiers fault, you should learn Spanish, it’s your job to learn our language, not their job to learn yours!”

Doesn’t matter what it is, Montezuma‘s revenge, step on a a stingray, have a seagull poop on your head ? Russ’ reply is always, “that’s never happened to us here in the barrio !”

Car jacked, being held up for money by a thieving taxi driver, being pulled over by a crooked cop for running a stop sign when you clearly made a complete and legal stop, having you car rummaged through and money and stuff stolen by conniving Mexican border guards, etc, what might the Russ reply be ? For sure, never a reply like, “sorry to hear that happened, or that really sucks. “ It’s something like this, “why don’t you look up the crime rates in Phx or wherever you live. I guarantee they are lower here in Perfect Penasco!”

You could even have a Cobra helicopter gunship fire into a Sandy Beach resort with tourists and owners staying there (which for those reading who think I’m kidding, this actually did happen), and Russ might reply, “That just shows that we take crime seriously here” or “It wasn’t a big deal, not much louder that bottle rockets. “ Russ would never reply in normal thinking or fashion saying, that is f’ing crazy !

Widespread power-outages, ENTIRE city out of water because of regular pipe breaks, massive sewer pipes bursting making fecal lakes and poop rivers, potholes so big they will have you posting on the board looking for emergency dentistry, and on, and on and on.
Russ’ reply in all these cases might be, “If you don’t like dealing with this stuff, we are fine having you stay home .”

Russ, they way you experience people merely reporting their experiences, asking for help, warning people of something to avoid that is shady or unscrupulous, etc., you take it like it’s a personal attack on you. And it isn’t.

And then your consistent replies are so patronizing, and degrading to people, you create a holier than thou heir of yourself.

Most of the time when you reply like this, it’s comical.

But at the same time, after a dozen years or so listening to your chiding commentary, finally thought I’d let you know how you sound.

De nada.

Last edited:

marybna

Well Known Member
We have been driving to Mazatlán for 30 years. My husband is dark and uses a Mexican Visa card. If they start talking to him in Spanish, I just tell them his is hard of hearing. The only thing he can do in Spanish is order beer and find the restroom.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Larry...I am who I am.....I think what I think....sometimes, sometimes I say what I say.....sorry that I offend you so much. I hope this doesn't offend you.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
I love y'all. Opinions are like... well, you know. It's the diversity of opinions that provide valuable information for all of us. We all filter this information based on personal experience. It's all good.