Surf Fishing around Mayan Resort

Renato

I am going to Rocky Point for the first time early April. I will stay at the Mayan resort. I believe it is located at "La Ultima Playa".

I would appreciate if someone could give me some tips on where to surf fish around the Mayan resort, what bait to use and where to find baits?

Thank you,
Renato

audsley

A bag of squid can be purchased at a bait shop next to the marina in Rocky Point. We've even used pieces of hot dog to catch trigger fish and spotted bay (rock) bass. Small, hungry fish will attack about anything.

As for where to fish, you should ask at the Mayan Palace as they've undoubtedly heard this question before. But I'll give you one tip that might or might not pay off.

From the Mayan Palace, drive out to the highway and turn left (I think, or is it right?) and drive a couple of miles to near milepost 32 (I think) where you'll see a road going west at the ruins of an old house. Take that road a mile or so toward the ocean and you'll find yourself at La Pinta estuary. There will be some boat trailers and a couple of men there keeping an eye on them. Nothing to worry about. You're welcome to fish there. You can also dig for clams farther down the beach to the south.

Try Kastmaster or Crocodile lures for corvina (sea trout). Used to be you could catch them at La Pinta and elsewhere around Rocky Point, especially around sunrise and sunset, but that was before corvina became nearly extinct from net fishermen and shrimp boat by-catch. I haven't fished around Rocky Point for about five years as I've been going farther south to Puerto Lobos. We haven't seen corvina down there for at least three years, although I've heard some have been caught around Santo Tomas. I'd appreciate hearing a report from you.

Others with more recent experience at La Pinta might wish to weigh in.

Roberto

If they will let you, you can go to the La Pinta estuary and fish on the Mayan Property. You can see Gilespies old hacienda mentioned above, across the estuary. If you choose to go across to the other side it is a RIGHT turn on the Caborca road. Not sure of the distance post but watch for a very wide road on the right side of the highway and the remains of an adobe structure. Turn right go 1/2 mile or so and you will come to the old hacienda. The road down is good and solid do not need 4x4. You will probably find more that a couple of trailers there. Last trip up there were several hundred pangas there. The fisherfolk moved down when fishing was curtailed on the north side of the sea. There is a reef off there in the sea that they have been harvesting jaiba (crab), geoduck clams, and a host of other sea life. Trucks from the Moon processing plant in Penasco wait on the beach and haul the stuff down for processing. Have seen some heavily loaded pangas coming in. Most with hooka rigs. Couple of guys have died up there from staying down too long. The road down is littered with thousands of shells as they often clean the meat out and dump the shells.

There may be some reefs off the beach there near the Mayan that you could try at low tide. Watch for the pangeros net fishing off the beach for a clue as they go for corvina along the coast all the way to Penasco. You can spot a dark smudge on the sea when a reef is nearby, Generally too far out to wade but who knows. If you can go on the Mayan side go to the mouth of the estuary as the tide is coming in and wade out as far as you can. Mayan will not let just any old fisherfolk out the but if you are staying there they might let you go. Ask the concierge at the hotel they will know.

mermaid

I was searching around Amazon the other day and saw a Kindle book. Where the fish are, a guide to fishing Puerto Penasco. I haven't checked it out yet, but for a $1.99 it might be worth it.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Here you go. Best fishing is the channel as you round the point. There is a fairly deep channel (the dark streaks you see on the map) you can reach from shore. Fish during the tide change, the fish are moving in and out. Squid (as said above works), but you can chuck heavy chrome KastMasters into the channel and if there are corvina around, they'll nail them. Don't bother with the back bay, worthless except for collecting sea shells.

Let us know how you do. Catch'em up!

Mayan.jpg