Survey about tourism in Puerto Peñasco/Rocky Point

Navil

Hello

I'm Navil Vargas Sánchez, a student of the Autonomous National University of Mexico (Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México UNAM), and I’m studing a MA in Geography

I'm doing a research about tourism in Puerto Peñasco with particular interest in the accommodation in houses or residences, therefore, I would like to ask for your help to answer a questionary.

The questions are mainly about how is like to be a tourist from de USA.

I was going to upload the file with the survey, but it seems to be a problem with the option to upload files, so I'll post the questions here, but I can send and email with the file if someone asks for it.

If you have any doubts about this matter, I'll be more than willing to answer you.

I'll be really greatful if you could support me with this little task

And I hope not to bother to any of you members of this forum

My email is [email protected]

Greetings!!!

P.D. I'm truly sorry about my writting

Provenance: _______________
Schooling: ________________
Religion: ___________
Date: _____________

1. How did you know about Puerto Peñasco/Rocky Point (PP)? For how long have you knew about it?

2. How many times have you been in PP?

3. Which are the reasons for you to go to PP?

4. Whom do you travel with?

5. Which transportation mode do you use to go to PP?

6. In which season or holydays do you go to PP?

7. How many days you usually spend in PP?

8. Which sort of accommodation do you usually use?

9. Have you ever used a residence as an option for accommodation in PP?

Yes________ (go to question 9.1)

No________ Would you like to have, rent or borrow a residence? Why? (Go to question 10)

9.1.Is it your first option for accommodation?

9.2.Why did you choose it as an accommodation option?

9.3.Did you bought, rented or have been borrowed the residence?

9.4.How did you had access to the residence? Who did you contact with?

9.5.In which residential area did you stay? Why did you choose it?

9.6.Does the residence have the basic services (water, electricity, sewage, garbage collection, street cleaning, and quality of infrastructure)?

9.7.In case you only have borrowed or rented a residence, would you care to have one as your own? Why?

9.8.According to the time you spend in PP and the use of a residence as accommodation, do you see yourself as a tourist? Why?

10. Which activities do you do while you are in PP?

11. Which activities would you like to do in PP that are available but you haven´t done?

12. Which activities would you like to do that aren’t available in PP?

13. Which beaches do you like to visit? Which one is your favorite and why?

14. Do you use the specialized medical services? Are those services a main reason to visit PP?

15. Approximately, how much is the total cost of your trip?

16. What do you think about the quality of the services in PP?

17. Are the USA government recommendations for violence in Mexico a factor for deciding not to go to PP?

18. Do you think PP is a safe place?

19. As a beach tourist place, do you consider that there is a better one in Mexico?

Yes________. Which ones? And why? No________

20. What’s your general opinion about tourism in PP? Would you recommend it as a place to go on vacations? Why?

21. What do you like best of PP?

OPINIONS OR NOTES:

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Navil,
Thank you for asking for help with your questions!! I see that over 100 people have viewed your request, but none yet have answered your questions, at least not within the forum. Please do not apologize for your spelling, I think you are great! I love to help students!
If you email me directly, I will fill out your form. [email protected]
BUT I live in Mexico. In Puerto Peñasco and Puerto Vallarta, I move to Mexico in 2006. I am not a tourist. But If I qualify, I am happy to help.
I suggest you contact George Puckett, he might be able to help. His website is www.mexicomyspace.com it is a site for ex-pats. Tell him my name, Robin, the Mexican Beach Bum. he might help, or at least point you in the right direction.
Suerte Navil!!

I, too, wonder why so many members with interest, knowledge, opinions and ties to Rocky Point have not participated. Navil has thus far only received 2 replies.

Navil

Navil,
Thank you for asking for help with your questions!! I see that over 100 people have viewed your request, but none yet have answered your questions, at least not within the forum. Please do not apologize for your spelling, I think you are great! I love to help students!
If you email me directly, I will fill out your form. [email protected]
BUT I live in Mexico. In Puerto Peñasco and Puerto Vallarta, I move to Mexico in 2006. I am not a tourist. But If I qualify, I am happy to help.
I suggest you contact George Puckett, he might be able to help. His website is www.mexicomyspace.com it is a site for ex-pats. Tell him my name, Robin, the Mexican Beach Bum. he might help, or at least point you in the right direction.
Suerte Navil!!
Hello Robin

Unfortunately I have only received two answers, though are very valuable, I do need more.

I have already send you the survey to your email, not only because I would like to know about your general opinion about tourism en Puerto Peñasco, but also for asking you to re-send the survey to other people, whether they have a similar situation like yours or another one.

Regarding to your recommendation to contact George Puckett, I´m already looking for him.

Greetings

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
People hate long surveys??

Anyway...

Provenance: USA - AZ
Schooling: N/A
Religion: N/A
Date: 10/07/2013

1. How did you know about Puerto Peñasco/Rocky Point (PP)? For how long have you knew about it?
Have been going to PP since the 1980's.

Lost count - many, many times.

Mostly for fishing.

My wife or my fishing buddies.

Drive - automobile.

All

Weekends, long weekends, 3-5 days at a time.

Rent a casita or hotel.

Yes

No________ Would you like to have, rent or borrow a residence? Why? (Go to question 10)

No

Good option when bringing family/children.

rented

direct contact with owner

Las Conchas - nice area right on the beach

9.6.Does the residence have the basic services (water, electricity, sewage, garbage collection, street cleaning, and quality of infrastructure)?
Yes.

9.7.In case you only have borrowed or rented a residence, would you care to have one as your own? Why?
Perhaps - I travel throughout Mexico and there are other areas I may considering buying a residence.

9.8.According to the time you spend in PP and the use of a residence as accommodation, do you see yourself as a tourist? Why?
Tourist - yes. I would not be a tourist if I lived there on a full-time basis, but I only visit regularly.

Fishing, boating, dinner, the beach, shopping.

11. Which activities would you like to do in PP that are available but you haven´t done?
N/A

La Pinta, Mirador

14. Do you use the specialized medical services? Are those services a main reason to visit PP?
No.

$500 to $1000 USD

Generally good quality.

17. Are the USA government recommendations for violence in Mexico a factor for deciding not to go to PP?
No, not at all.

Yes.

19. As a beach tourist place, do you consider that there is a better one in Mexico?

Yes - Mazatlan, Cabo, San Carlos, Punta Chivato, La Paz, many others. And why? Variety is the spice of life, that's why.

20. What’s your general opinion about tourism in PP? Would you recommend it as a place to go on vacations? Why?
I have watched PP grow from a small fishing village to a large tourist resort town. I worry that too much growth taxes the infrastructure and creates problems for the locals -- while tourists help the economy grow and provide employment, the town cannot always keep up with this growth. Overall, yes I recommend it as a place to go.

Being out on the ocean.

OPINIONS OR NOTES:

Provenance: _USA-Colorado______________
Schooling: _14_______________
Religion: __N/A_________
Date: _10-07-13____________

Coworker-5 yrs.
15 or so

Food, Beach, Relax, Water

Wife

Drive

Usually once in the fall (October) and again in Spring (April or May) but careful to miss Spring Break.

Try for a week at a time.

Condo Rental

Residence being a house as compared to a condo? or as compared to a hotel?

Yes
Kitchen, Laundry, Proximity to beach.

Rent

Have used VRBO & Seaside Reservations

Sandy Beach-came recommended the first time, and we enjoyed it; so we keep going back.

Yes
Maybe as the retirement word enters my vocabulary....not quite yet.

By defination;Yes, I am a tourist. But each time we go, it feels a little more comfortable and like home.

Diving/snorkeling, fishing, beach, eating, shopping, sitting on the patio and staring out at the Sea of Cortez with a cold Dos Equis.

Not Sure

None

Haven't visited many beaches in the area, but we are very pleased with Sandy Beach.

No

$1,000 +/-

No Complaints

NO-Not at all

Yes

Depends what you are into...for diving, Cancun is hard to beat, for Game fishing, I like Cabo. But for a quiet, relaxing, vacation RP is great.Yes________. Which ones? And why? No________

Although tourism is important for the local economy, I kinda like it slow & quiet. Would I recommend it? Absolutely! Depending on where you are coming from, one of the big advantages to me is: no plane tickets or rental cars to mess with.
I like road trips, so the drive (13 hrs) doesn't bother me. It is a fairly cheap (but going up) vacation. Everybody is friendly, the food is great, the beer is cold and the views are great.
OPINIONS OR NOTES:

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

jben

Provenance: AZ, USA_______________
Schooling: _MASTERS DEGREE_______________
Religion: _N/A__________
Date: __10/7/13___________

Arizona media, since 1986
15-20
beach, water activities
Family, friends
Car
Fall break, spring break
5 days
Rental condo

9.1.Is it your first option for accommodation? Yes

9.2.Why did you choose it as an accommodation option? Have a friend that owns several condos here

9.3.Did you bought, rented or have been borrowed the residence? Rent

9.4.How did you had access to the residence? Who did you contact with? The owner, a friend

9.5.In which residential area did you stay? Why did you choose it? Sandy Beach because it is where friends condo is

9.6.Does the residence have the basic services (water, electricity, sewage, garbage collection, street cleaning, and quality of infrastructure)? Yes

9.7.In case you only have borrowed or rented a residence, would you care to have one as your own? Why? No, renting is cheaper because I can only come down a couple of times a year

9.8.According to the time you spend in PP and the use of a residence as accommodation, do you see yourself as a tourist? Why? Yes because I am a citizen of another country and speak little Spanish

10. Which activities do you do while you are in PP? Cooking/eating, swim, beach

11. Which activities would you like to do in PP that are available but you haven´t done? Deep sea fishing

12. Which activities would you like to do that aren’t available in PP? Last time I was there the movie theater was not yet open. Not sure if its been completed since.

13. Which beaches do you like to visit? Which one is your favorite and why? Sandy Beach. No rocks, beautiful sand, clear blue water

14. Do you use the specialized medical services? Are those services a main reason to visit PP? No

15. Approximately, how much is the total cost of your trip? $1500-2000

16. What do you think about the quality of the services in PP? Adequate

17. Are the USA government recommendations for violence in Mexico a factor for deciding not to go to PP? They would be if PP was specific mentioned as a place to avoid

18. Do you think PP is a safe place? Yes

19. As a beach tourist place, do you consider that there is a better one in Mexico? Don't know, haven't been anywhere else in mexico

Yes________. Which ones? And why? No________

20. What’s your general opinion about tourism in PP? Would you recommend it as a place to go on vacations? Why? I recommend it whenever possible. I used to go to the beach in San Diego but PP is closer, cheaper, the beach and water are cleaner and the water is much warmer.

21. What do you like best of PP? Warmer water than the Pacific Ocean

OPINIONS OR NOTES:

THANK YOU SO MUCH![/quote]

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Hello

I'm Navil Vargas Sánchez, a student of the Autonomous National University of Mexico (Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México UNAM), and I’m studing a MA in Geography

I'm doing a research about tourism in Puerto Peñasco with particular interest in the accommodation in houses or residences, therefore, I would like to ask for your help to answer a questionary.

I was going to upload the file with the survey, but it seems to be a problem with the option to upload files, so I'll post the questions here, but I can send and email with the file if someone asks for it.

If you have any doubts about this matter, I'll be more than willing to answer you.

Greetings!!!

Provenance: ___USA-Phoenix Arizona____________
Schooling: ____2_Bachelor's degrees___________
Religion: ___Protestant________
Date: ____10/7/13_________

1. How did you know about Puerto Peñasco/Rocky Point (PP)? For how long have you knew about it? My parents brought me here in 1966 for a vacation. I was 9 years old.

2. How many times have you been in PP? ???? Hundreds of times.

3. Which are the reasons for you to go to PP? Beach, food, rest and help with various charitable activities.

4. Whom do you travel with? Friends, mom and sometimes alone.

5. Which transportation mode do you use to go to PP? Jeep

6. In which season or holydays do you go to PP? All the seasons but not very much in the summer...it's too hot.

7. How many days you usually spend in PP? It was 4 or 5 but now that I'm recently retired, it will be more. I am planning on spending 3 weeks there starting this Wednesday.

8. Which sort of accommodation do you usually use? I own a trailer there.

9. Have you ever used a residence as an option for accommodation in PP? No

No_____No___ Would you like to have, rent or borrow a residence? Why? (Go to question 10)

10. Which activities do you do while you are in PP? Beach, shop, visit the local attractions, spend time with friends, do some charity work and rest.

11. Which activities would you like to do in PP that are available but you haven´t done? Nothing

12. Which activities would you like to do that aren’t available in PP? Nothing

13. Which beaches do you like to visit? Which one is your favorite and why? The Mirador. I've been going there for 47 years.

14. Do you use the specialized medical services? Are those services a main reason to visit PP? No

15. Approximately, how much is the total cost of your trip? 300 dollars

16. What do you think about the quality of the services in PP? Everything is good

17. Are the USA government recommendations for violence in Mexico a factor for deciding not to go to PP? No way, I'll know if it's not safe.

18. Do you think PP is a safe place? Absolutely

19. As a beach tourist place, do you consider that there is a better one in Mexico? I've only been to San Carlos and Guaymas and they are too far and I have to spend more money for a hotel.....

Yes________. Which ones? And why? No____X____

20. What’s your general opinion about tourism in PP? Would you recommend it as a place to go on vacations? Why? Absolutely, it's cheaper than California, it's closer than California and you won't freeze to death on the beach!

21. What do you like best of PP? The people, the beach and the yummy food!

OPINIONS OR NOTES:

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Hello

Greetings!!!

Provenance: _________AZ______
Schooling: ___master degree_____________
Date: _____10/7/13________

1. How did you know about Puerto Peñasco/Rocky Point (PP)? For how long have you knew about it? Since 1985. From friends

2. How many times have you been in PP? More than 100

3. Which are the reasons for you to go to PP? Beach, ocean air, relaxation

4. Whom do you travel with? Husband.. Sometimes grown kids

5. Which transportation mode do you use to go to PP? Drive

6. In which season or holydays do you go to PP? All. At least once a month

7. How many days you usually spend in PP? 4 to 14

8. Which sort of accommodation do you usually use? We own a condo on Sandy beach

Yes___x_____ (go to question 9.1)

9.1.Is it your first option for accommodation? Yes

9.2.Why did you choose it as an accommodation option? Did not like to rent and can have all my stuff there

9.3.Did you bought, rented or have been borrowed the residence?bought

9.4.How did you had access to the residence? Who did you contact with? Sonoran group

9.5.In which residential area did you stay? Why did you choose it? We have 2 condos. Both have great amenities and are friendly

9.6.Does the residence have the basic services (water, electricity, sewage, garbage collection, street cleaning, and quality of infrastructure)?yes

9.8.According to the time you spend in PP and the use of a residence as accommodation, do you see yourself as a tourist? Why?no. Because we spend so much time there

10. Which activities do you do while you are in PP? Beach, read, walk beach, dinners at great restaurants, visit friends ,shop

13. Which beaches do you like to visit? Which one is your favorite and why?sandy beach. Clean. New

15. Approximately, how much is the total cost of your trip? Groceries and gas

16. What do you think about the quality of the services in PP? Good enough

17. Are the USA government recommendations for violence in Mexico a factor for deciding not to go to PP? No

18. Do you think PP is a safe place? Yes

Yes____x____. Which ones? And why? No________ Puerta Vallarta, Cancun, Cabo.. More upscale and developed

20. What’s your general opinion about tourism in PP? Would you recommend it as a place to go on vacations? Why?yes. Laid back, relaxing., close to Phoenix... No airfare

21. What do you like best of PP? Friendly, close and beautiful ocean views

OPINIONS OR NOTES:

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Last edited:

audsley

Provenance: ______Tucson, Az, USA_________
Occupation: ______Retired business analyst for defense manufacturers ________
Schooling: ___________Masters Degree_____
Religion: ____N/A_______
Date: _____10/08/13________

Started hearing about it in the 70s from friends. Never got there until about 1990.

Maybe 20

Enjoying the scenery and atmosphere, fishing, exploring, food.

Wife and usually some friends. Used to take our kids but they're grown now.

Pickup truck or SUV.

None. I avoid PP during holidays.

3 or 4.

Always rent a house in Los Conchas if wife is with me. Otherwise La Roca on the Malecon can't be beat.

Los Conchas only.

Yes_X_______ (go to question 9.1)

Yes

Privacy, located on or near the beach, safe

Rented

Depends - I have gone through a rental agency but also directly to owners

Los Conchas - because it's safe, peaceful and beautiful. It's also close to town for shopping and restaurants.

Yes

No. I don't trust the Mexican government to protect my legal ownership of the property, and I like to go other places besides PP and do not wish to invest heavily in one place.

Yes, I'm a tourist. I don't live there, I'm just visiting.

Eating, sightseeing, exploring, fishing, socializing with friends, shopping.

Watch a Mexican beisbol game.

None, and please don't bring us any new ones.

La Pinta because the fishing and clamming is good, the atmosphere quaint and friendly (pescaderos) and there are no crowds of noisy tourists. Now please don't build anything there or else I'll stop coming.

No

$400 to $1000 USD depending on where we stay and what we do

Excellent if you know where to go

No

Yes, if you use your brain

I suspect Loreto is better, but I'll probably never get there.

Yes___x_____. Which ones? And why? No________

Judging from the pictures, Loreto is more beautiful, offers much better fishing and has not been degraded by a lot of high-rise pigeon coops on what used to be quiet beaches. The down side, of course, is that Loreto is very hard to get to, which probably helps explain why it has all those other nice qualities.

Depends on the tastes and preferences of the person I'm talking to. Some people will think it's wonderful, others will think it's terrible and wonder why I go there. No place can be all things to all people. Each place needs to decide what it can do well and then do that thing as well as possible. What PP can do well is be a regional vacation destination for families, couples and groups of friends. It cannot be Cabo San Lucas or Cancun and should not try.

It's close (200 miles) to home and a very nice place to spend 3 or 4 days.

OPINIONS OR NOTES:
I notice you did not ask what could be done to improve PP for American tourists or part-year residents. If you had, I would have suggested better protection of the Sea of Cortez to enhance sportfishing opportunities and nature appreciation, and improved retail merchandise. I would also suggest more small casitas (one-bedroom and studio) for couples and small families. There are way too many multi-unit rentals, and I don't believe PP can be properly enjoyed from a high-rise that resembles an apartment building.

Navil,
I emailed you my survey. Hope you get more! I see more members have filled out your survey, awesome. I look forward to meeting you when you come to Peñasco. Mucha suerte.

Luna

Sea Shell Goddess
Provenance: ___USA__________
Date: ___10/15/2013__________

Over 25 years – Live in Arizona.

Many, many times. Lost count.

Rest & Relaxation – Sea & Sand - Food & Drink. Such a short drive and can still afford to stay right on the beach. Only wish we could go more often.

Spouse and big doggie.

Drive in a private vehicle

Any month but June, July, August. Love May and October the most.

1-2 weeks - 1-2 times a year. Never enough.

Condo / Private home.

Yes____X ____ (go to question 9.1)

Pet friendly.

Travel with big doggie.

Rent.

Internet, word of mouth.

Sandy Beach, Mirimar.

Yes.

Someday – just waiting for that day to come.

For now yes.

Mostly relax and enjoy, hunt for seashells, play in the Sea of Cortez, typical tourist stuff.

Bird Island, but always have big doggie with us.

None that I can think of.

Mirimar because it is so beautiful and quiet. Sandy Beach is awesome too, but can get crowded.

Not at present.

No complaints.

Our government - No way. Never has been and never will be.

Yes – Always has been for us. Use your head just like in the USA.

Yes________. Which ones? And why? No_ _______

Many changes over the years, but always recommend it to people.

It is only 4 hours from my door to the shore! Can't beat that.

OPINIONS OR NOTES:

Last edited:

joester

2 salty dawgs
Provenance: __USA_____________
Religion: ___other________
Date: ____10-15-2013_________
1. How did you know about Puerto Peñasco/Rocky Point (PP)? For how long have you knew about it?learned from friends about 10 years ago
2. How many times have you been in PP? about 12
3. Which are the reasons for you to go to PP? friends - old + new to meet; beach; shrimp; beach; friends - did I mention friends and beach?
4. Whom do you travel with? wife and friends
5. Which transportation mode do you use to go to PP? motorhome
6. In which season or holydays do you go to PP? Thanksgiving, used to go in spring also
7. How many days you usually spend in PP? 5-6
8. Which sort of accommodation do you usually use? Rv park for motorhome
Yes__x______ (go to question 9.1)
9.1.Is it your first option for accommodation? no
9.2.Why did you choose it as an accommodation option? wedding
9.3.Did you bought, rented or have been borrowed the residence? rent
9.4.How did you had access to the residence? Who did you contact with? on line - rental co.
9.5.In which residential area did you stay? Why did you choose it? los conchas; huge home on beach, slept 28
9.6.Does the residence have the basic services (water, electricity, sewage, garbage collection, street cleaning, and quality of infrastructure)? yes - multi-million dollar casa
9.7.In case you only have borrowed or rented a residence, would you care to have one as your own? Why? no, prefer our RV
9.8.According to the time you spend in PP and the use of a residence as accommodation, do you see yourself as a tourist? Why? yes, the past few years we have only come down for 5-6 days over Thanksgiving, busy with work and other trips - exploring.
10. Which activities do you do while you are in PP? sitting on beach, sightseeing, seeing friends, fishing
11. Which activities would you like to do in PP that are available but you haven´t done? fish for grouper
13. Which beaches do you like to visit? Which one is your favorite and why? love the Mirador - that's where our favorite Rv park is - Playa de Oro
14. Do you use the specialized medical services? Are those services a main reason to visit PP? no, no
15. Approximately, how much is the total cost of your trip? $1000 USD
16. What do you think about the quality of the services in PP? getting better each year
17. Are the USA government recommendations for violence in Mexico a factor for deciding not to go to PP? not at all
18. Do you think PP is a safe place? yes
Yes___x_____. Which ones? love Los Cabos And why? beautiful area - best fishing I've found________
20. What’s your general opinion about tourism in PP? we love itWould you recommend it as a place to go on vacations? yes Why? very relaxing, easy access
21. What do you like best of PP? the people we have met, just a great place to relax by the sea.
OPINIONS OR NOTES: an easy drive in our motorhome, we look forward to retiring and having an RV there during the fall, winter + spring.

Provenance: USA

Schooling: High School Grad. Some college

Religion: Christian

Date: 10/15/13

Known about it since the late 80’s. Never did the Spring break thing in High School. Been going regularly since 2004.

12-15 tims

To Relax. Love the food and the people.

Friends and Family

Car

Once in the summer and once in the winter

Between 3-7

Resort Condo mostly. Have stayed at Hotels a few times

No X Would you like to have, rent or borrow a residence? YES Why? (Go to question 10)

Just enjoy relaxing by the beach and pool. Have done some fishing as well.

N/A

N/A

Sandy Beach is my main. It’s always clean and everyone is friendly.

No

Between $300-$700 depending on the number of nights and if we split the expense with another family

Excellent!!!!!!!!!

Not at all. I think the USA travel advisories are a joke.

YES !!! I have never felt uncomfortable at all.

For the price and location, ease of travel, I could not think of a better place to go.

Yes________. Which ones? And why? No__X_

I use to go to San Diego for Beach time, but it was always so expensive to stay. You cannot find a condo on the beach and inexpensive as you can in Rocky Point. I recommend it to everyone that knows I go. If they choose not to go, that’s their loss.

A better question would be what do I NOT like about PP. The answer to that is obvious. :D

Navil

Thanks to all of you, you have been of great help.

I know the survey is quite long, but I thought it would be easy to answer.

I'll be in Puerto Peñasco next week; would anybody be there by that time? Would you care to be interviewee? It'll be more casual, and it'll be according to the answers you have given me

Let me know if you are willing

Greetings!!