Table Fare Thoughts on Inshore Fish

Morning everyone,
Just curious, how do you guys rank the in-shore/surf fish in terms of their table worthiness. I've only ever kept Corvina for eating, but I've heard that Triggers and Guitarfish are also good? What about Leatherjacks? Sand Bass? Mackerels? Do you guys have a list of ones you'd keep in terms of table-worthiness? Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Tony

I haven't done much shore fishing, but when we go out on a boat (not far), mostly what we catch are I believe rock bass and always a lot of trigger.
The triggers are great for light breading and a pan fry.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Corvina - good. Triggers - good. Sand Bass - good if sizeable, pain to clean when tiny. Leatherjacks, guitarfish, greenback mackerel - no bueno, release. Unless you catch sierra mackerel (silver with orange spots on side). Sierra make the best ceviche in Mexico.

Hey YumaJames,

This is Jim Davis AKA JungleJim.

I live in Yuma and used to spend a lot of time at P Penasco. I've got a 23.5 Sea Pro sportfisher that I've trailer hauled many times down there. I stopped going about five years ago when things started getting really stupid down there. Thought we might meet and maybe do a caravan with the boats and some fishing once down there.

Call me at 343-9216 if interested.

YumaJames

Absolutely JungleJim, if we could caravan down together or join one another I'm always in. We're planning a trip for Dec 11-15 in case you're interested. I cross at San Luis and take the toll highway down (takes about 2 1/2 to 3 hours to get to RP), and always launch/stay at Safe Marina. Of course it all depends on the weather, but ideally I usually try to make it out to the deeper waters 40-50 miles out and spend one or two nights there on the boat. Haven't gone for a couple months and am dying to get out. San Luis usually makes you get a TIPS (Temporary Import Permit) now, it costs $75 and is good for I think 10 years, basically states you're not gonna sell your boat down there. I got your phone number and will text/call you tomorrow so you have my number, in case you want to take your number off your posting. Good to hear from ya!

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Hey YumaJames,

This is Jim Davis AKA JungleJim.

I live in Yuma and used to spend a lot of time at P Penasco. I've got a 23.5 Sea Pro sportfisher that I've trailer hauled many times down there. I stopped going about five years ago when things started getting really stupid down there. Thought we might meet and maybe do a caravan with the boats and some fishing once down there.

Call me at 343-9216 if interested.

I dont know if it's a good idea for Jungle Jim to go to RP because it's about as "STUPID" as it was 5 years ago. Not much has changed if anything in 5 years. Vendors still asking ridiculous prices for fake merchandise, over priced drinks at the bars and GUA GUAS is still adding an extra $100 onto your tab at the end of the night...

YumaJames

IMG_1992.JPG Well, take some friendly advice from a "STUPID" old fart like me, Mexico Joe. Next time you go down to RP don't waste your time buying crap at the malecon, and stay out of the bars and titty bars. Instead buy an inexpensive fishing rod and hit the beach or jump on a boat and see it differently.

Last edited:
Never had trigger for some reason just never kept one. Same goes for guitar fish. They're so ugly too.

These are the ones I've had and they're all great

Corvina - very fatty fish. yum
Rock Bass - too small though - they're a pain to filet at least for me
Flounder
Grouper

Never had trigger for some reason just never kept one. Same goes for guitar fish. They're so ugly too.

These are the ones I've had and they're all great

Corvina - very fatty fish. yum
Rock Bass - too small though - they're a pain to filet at least for me
Flounder
Grouper
Thanks all, much appreciated