Taking a dog into and out of Mexico

B

bahiatrader

Pardon my ignorance, but does anyone know the requirements for taking a dog to and from Mexico? I have a seven month old puppy I'd like to take with me when I go. I have documentation for all of his shots including rabies. I've seen other people with dogs from the US, but never ask anyone. I would appreciate any input.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
All you need now is the veterinarian certificate of good health? around $85.00 depending on your vet choice.
My understanding is that these paperwork will be asked from you at the Mexican customs, most, if not all the time they do not even bother, however you know about murphy's law? I personally have one that is already too old, a couple of years, but never been asked to show it.

B

bahiatrader

Coming back isn't a problem? My friends had to have their dog quarantined when they brought it from Hawaii.

Hey BT ask your vet to leave the date open on the certificate of health... that way you wont need to get a new one each time you travel.

We used to bring our adopted greyhounds down with us before we moved here and unbelievable to us... the vet told us to do that so we wouldn't have to buy new papers every 6 months... you would think they would want to make the extra $$$.

I know of people that bring a dog collar with a rabies tag on it so they can take dogs home with them. They look to see if the dog has it's tags and send you through...

Last edited:
B

bahiatrader

Thanks guys. I looked it up on my search engine, which I could have done before asking, and found the correct form and procedure. It's always nice to have advice and reiforcement from someone who has done it before. My new best buddy Sam now has a pretty little gold star rabies tag on his collar. As soon as his scrotum has healed from his recent brain surgery we may be headed South. Thanks again.

joester

2 salty dawgs
dogs

never was asked once either way (into or out of mexico) with our dog.
always had the papers with us just in case - left them in the rv all the time. I think the rabies shot proof is the most important part if you did get asked.

MIRAMAR

We've been bringing our dog down for over 12 years. We took him to the vet, got the certificate, paid the $, and were never asked for the certificate- either way! Of course he's a 100 lb lovable lap dog of a Doberman, so that might have been the reason. We've since gone down about every other weekend for the past 12 years, and have NEVER been asked on either side. The border patrol knows him and just lets us through. Personally, I wouldn't bother with the form in hind sight unless you have $ or a reason to see the vet.

Roberto

I drop my dog off about 20 yards from the border and she runs across and waits for me. Do it both ways. Never had any problem, she has never been asked for ID either. She does get hassled by the pack of border dogs that lurk around there, but she's a Mexican street survivor so she knows how to handle it.

Last edited:
B

bahiatrader

Mexican street dogs are indeed tough! Most have all the guile of a wild animal.