Talapia

AZRob

Okay...I know more now than I did. Would you equate the quality of Talapia with say Cat Fish?

Thanks for the resposnses. It has kept me busy while recovering from my surgery. Nothing serious,
Catfish are on the boarder, they like to eat fish more then poo.

GV Jack

Snorin God
Well, I had a chance to find out for myself...on a limited basis.

My wife brought home a package of frozen "Talapia" fillets that were crusted in tortillas.
They were baked and I can honestly say that must have been one humongous POOO
eater, because that's what it tasted like. Even a good tartar sauce couldn't help.

I think I'll stick to the old stand byes. Thanks for the input.

AZRob

STOP!! :eek:
So when I buy what they call Tilapia from the butcher at Frys.. I am buying PoopFish?

Next time tell the butch, "give me 2 lbs of the sh*t eater." HA HA HA Did you have a funky taste in your mouth when you ate it? I wounder after it ate another fishes poo, if it ate its own poo. Double poo eating fish.

Kenny

Catfish are on the boarder, they like to eat fish more then poo.
The top predator in AZ is the Flathead Catfish and I've caught many Channel Cats on Spinners and live minnows. The only bad tasting catfish I've ever had are a few Channels at Pleasant who had been chasing Crawdads around rocks that were mossy and sucked moss in when grabbing the Crawdads.

fishman

Colorado Fishman
I hate to clean up some, But this POO being posted on this forum just stinks. Tilapia (proper spelling) are one of the most widely cultured species in the world. Because some idiot did a dirty jobs segment on a poorly managed striped bass farm in California POO abounds about the fish. It is a fresh water fish. They will die in salt water. Sorry no Salmon cleanup. The striped bass farm in CA, long out of business, was using them to clean up uneaten feed from their incompetently run farm. Nilotica are the primary species raised for human consumption. They are an omnivore which means they will eat a lot of things. Any fish that you buy has been raised on feed better than what they feed to chickens and hogs eat lots of garbage Tilapia wont eat. I personally manufactured feed for millions of Tilapia over the last thirty years and the feed is better than what you eat. Some fish are raised in questionable conditions outside the US but the same can be said about almost every fruit and vegetable you buy. When you buy a wild fish you have no idea what it's been eating. I'm not particularly fond of the flavor myself but it's better than a catfish. None of this is POO like most of the stuff posted above. Fishman

Roberto

Tilapia fresh fillets to US hit record volumes in 2013, with prices high

You may also like:
May 15, 2014, 8:49 pm
Alicia Villegas
US imports of fresh tilapia fillets were at record levels in 2013 at a total of 59 million of pounds, up by 7.27% year-on-year, Angel Rubio, chief market analyst at Urner Barry said during the conferences at the Aquamar International expo this year in Veracruz, Mexico.
Despite high demand, average prices remained flat to stronger last year at $4.15 per pound, due to pre-arranged sales to the same clients at similar prices.
Prices are now at $4.25 per pound, an upward trend linked to the shift from tilapia production to shrimp in Ecuador.
As Ecuador tilapia supply of fresh fillets decreased, its market share has shrunk from 32% in 2008 to 13% in 2014 as buyers have gone to other suppliers with prices going up as a result.
Honduras, where Regal Springs Tilapia has a large operation, has emerged now as the main supplier of fresh fillets to the US with 40% of imports, followed by Costa Rica (21%), Ecuador (13%), Colombia (12%) and Mexico (9%). Regal Springs is also ramping up its operation in Mexico.
Whole tilapia, for its part, saw an increase of demand in 2013. Rubio was unable to precisely pinpoint what drove the heightened consumer interest, but suggested the growing Latin American community in the US could be a factor.
Frozen tilapia fillets imports — 93% coming from China — showed more volatile prices last year, although decreasing prices of shrimp from Ecuador can involve an “umbrella effect” so prices for other species could also go down now, which could be the main factor affecting seafood this year, Rubio said, citing John Sackton of Seafood News

marybna

Last time I was down, I saw talapia at Walmart. It looked fesh. I bought some at the old port and it was awful Just finished the res snapper I got somewhere down there and everyone wants more of that. I do okay with the Shrimp and scallops but some of the other stuff is not so good.